The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #301 of 2,251
I don't know, both the king pro and it01 are single DD whereas the b400 is 4BA.

Some may argue it's apples to oranges given the configuration, but to me it's all sound reproduction and are fair game.

I just am not sure if I'll be able to pick a favorite between the king pro and b400... I think they'll trade punches, but my penchant for sub bass may force me to pick the king pro. It's just that the b400 does the one thing really really well whereas the king pro is probably a better all arounder.

Apr 5, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #302 of 2,251
I don't know, both the king pro and it01 are single DD whereas the b400 is 4BA.

Some may argue it's apples to oranges given the configuration, but to me it's all sound reproduction and are fair game.

I just am not sure if I'll be able to pick a favorite between the king pro and b400... I think they'll trade punches, but my penchant for sub bass may force me to pick the king pro. It's just that the b400 does the one thing really really well whereas the king pro is probably a better all arounder.
I think you're right too. the sub-base on king pro really gives a good rumble. However comparing are based on value and targeted category right (entry/mid/totl) irregardless of the type or count of driver.

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #303 of 2,251
I own the B400, IT01 and TFZ Exclusive 5 (sorry that's the closest thing to the King I own)

I love both the B400 and IT01 for their coherency across the spectrum. Not surprising with the single driver IT01 but it is with the B400. The IT01 doesn't have a flat response reference type tuning. There's definitely a bit of a bass (and sub bass) bump. But there isn't a corresponding big treble bump to generate the typical V or U tuning. The TFZ Exclusive 5 does have that V tuning. The B400 is reasonably flat with a bit off the very high end which sounds a bit thin and although it has a surprising amount of bass and sub bass considering the BA driver it never really thumps. If I want to really listen to something and enjoy the sound of it I tend to reach for the B400. If its something fun, jumpy, bouncy or the adjective of your choice I tend to grab IT01. Before I had the iBasso I'd grab the TFZ Exclusive 5 or LZ A4 for that type of listening.

Apr 19, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #304 of 2,251
TFZ Tequila 1 Review. Enjoy reading! :)

https://audio123blog.wordpress.com/2018/04/19/tfz-tequila-1/

photo_2018-03-13_22-19-15.jpg

Apr 21, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #306 of 2,251
I own the B400, IT01 and TFZ Exclusive 5 (sorry that's the closest thing to the King I own)

I love both the B400 and IT01 for their coherency across the spectrum. Not surprising with the single driver IT01 but it is with the B400. The IT01 doesn't have a flat response reference type tuning. There's definitely a bit of a bass (and sub bass) bump. But there isn't a corresponding big treble bump to generate the typical V or U tuning. The TFZ Exclusive 5 does have that V tuning. The B400 is reasonably flat with a bit off the very high end which sounds a bit thin and although it has a surprising amount of bass and sub bass considering the BA driver it never really thumps. If I want to really listen to something and enjoy the sound of it I tend to reach for the B400. If its something fun, jumpy, bouncy or the adjective of your choice I tend to grab IT01. Before I had the iBasso I'd grab the TFZ Exclusive 5 or LZ A4 for that type of listening.
Do you think there is much difference comparing king and king pro?

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #307 of 2,251
I can't answer that one, the best TFZ I have is the Exclusive 5. By the time I was thinking about purchasing the King there were other options in the price range that seemed to offer flatter response curves. When the King Pro was released there were even more better options because of the higher price. So I never purchased either.

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #308 of 2,251
Any news of these?

006fC3nfgy1fqfgkob15wj31hd2nbx6r.jpg

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #309 of 2,251

I haven't head the original king but my feeling is that they're tuned very differently and the pro is better all around unless you love bright phones.
Any news of these?

006fC3nfgy1fqfgkob15wj31hd2nbx6r.jpg
Hmmmm, interesting. I see at least 1 BA in that, possibly more like 3-4 with a DD in the mix too. Looks like tfz is expanding their horizons!

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #311 of 2,251
I haven't head the original king but my feeling is that they're tuned very differently and the pro is better all around unless you love bright phones.

Hmmmm, interesting. I see at least 1 BA in that, possibly more like 3-4 with a DD in the mix too. Looks like tfz is expanding their horizons!
These would be in 3, 6 and 12 BA iterations. No dynamic driver in them it seems.

May 5, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #312 of 2,251
These would be in 3, 6 and 12 BA iterations. No dynamic driver in them it seems.
Yeah, I finally saw that as well on a badly translated site. Can't wait to try them. I wonder what the pricing will be, especially for the 12 driver pair.....

May 22, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #313 of 2,251
So... This popped up on penon today. The tfz queen...
https://penonaudio.com/tfz-queen.html
I can't find anything about it anywhere.

Anybody know anything about it? I thought we'd see the secret garden next...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back