The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #2,071 of 2,251
wich is the best TFZ? ts n3 any good?
As I only have Live1, which I really dig, I'll let others with more TFZ gears tell you what they think is "the best" in the lineup. :relaxed:

Jan 19, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #2,072 of 2,251
Jan 20, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #2,073 of 2,251
These little ones have been stuck in customs in my country since October. Today, I was finally able to receive them. I will not comment on how disastrous the bureaucracy has been in getting them out of there...
I just want to share a comparative chart with all the Live line I have and a photo... I only have two songs with them, but it seems the most balanced among all the bands, maintaining a great clarity. TFZ does not disappoint.

TFZ Live 3 vs TFZ Live X vs TFZ Live 1.png
2021-01-20_192906.jpg

wich is the best TFZ? ts n3 any good?

As I only have Live1, which I really dig, I'll let others with more TFZ gears tell you what they think is "the best" in the lineup. :relaxed:

It's not because it's the last one, but of all the TFZ I have, the Live X, I like them a lot. I stopped using them to test the next IEM model and I still miss their bass and treble. Sometimes one does not realize how good a model is until you use another one. I like Tequila 1 too, but I think No.3 is also among my favourites. What happens is that in that price range (100$) other models of other brands I own have appeared, which compete fiercely with the No.3...

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #2,075 of 2,251
Thank you for this FR comparison between those 3 IEMs! :thumbsup:

Seeing it I think I understand better why I like Live1 so much: absolutely no sub-bass roll off but no mid-bass elevation either, which exclude any bass bleed!
Coupled with superb clarity (probably too much for treble sensitive people and/or those who listen to high volume? :thinking:) which give them a great amount of details, they are so fun to listen to, while being seemingly neutral bright, at leats to my ears, again at low volume.
And sometimes you have that BIG bass rumble that takes you by surprise, very impressive. :heart_eyes:

TFZ seems to have great drivers with superb technicalities, and I like the way they tune their IEMs. :relaxed:

Jan 25, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #2,076 of 2,251
Anyone can share their experience with the No.3 19th and the Queen? I am interested in these two IEMs and more towards the Queen due to the metal shells. I am interested in the detail of the sounds and more prefer a less V shape tuning but there aren't too many reviews on these two. I also read somewhere the No.3 doesn't really excel in the detail retrieval. Will the Queen do a better job here?

Jan 25, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #2,077 of 2,251
Anyone can share their experience with the No.3 19th and the Queen? I am interested in these two IEMs and more towards the Queen due to the metal shells. I am interested in the detail of the sounds and more prefer a less V shape tuning but there aren't too many reviews on these two. I also read somewhere the No.3 doesn't really excel in the detail retrieval. Will the Queen do a better job here?

Don't have the Queen.

But the No. 3 is a bona fide basshead set, V shaped. Bass really can rattle the jaw in terms of quantity and subbass extension. The bass bleeds though, and isn't the tightest. What I didn't like about the No. 3 (and my reason for selling it), is that the upper mids get very shouty with louder volumes (fletcher munson curve). When u listen to a nice bass riff, the tendency is to boost the volume to get more headbanging bass. But this also boosts the upper mids and I can't tolerate it. YMMV though.

In terms of soundstage, the No. 3 isn't the best. Other technicalities like clarity and details and instrument separation are above average for a single DD, but if you compare it to equivalently priced hybrids/multi driver types at that price bracket, it isn't gonna be class leading. Timbre is also not the best for a single DD at this price bracket. One other thing is this IEM is highly sensitive, it hisses like a snake with some sources. It is very easy to drive though, on the flip side.

I spoke to some manufacturers and sellers, they claim the 19th is the same as the non TI regular No. 3, so just get the cheaper one, which is usually the 19th. At the asking price of the regular No. 3 at $100ish USD, I personally wouldn't recommend it, there's better single DD at that price bracket or even cheaper such as KBEAR BElieve, Toneking Ninetails, iBasso IT00, BLON BL-05S, KBEAR Diamond, TFZ tequila1, Urbanfun, Tin T2 Plus, HZSound Heart Mirror. I'll rate the TFZ No. 3 a 3/5 in the modern day context, compared to other modern day CHIFI. All in all, I find the No. 3 a one trick pony, it is very good for bass forward genres, but it gets found out in some other music genres.

Jan 25, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #2,078 of 2,251
Don't have the Queen.

But the No. 3 is a bona fide basshead set, V shaped. Bass really can rattle the jaw in terms of quantity and subbass extension. The bass bleeds though, and isn't the tightest. What I didn't like about the No. 3 (and my reason for selling it), is that the upper mids get very shouty with louder volumes (fletcher munson curve). When u listen to a nice bass riff, the tendency is to boost the volume to get more headbanging bass. But this also boosts the upper mids and I can't tolerate it. YMMV though.

In terms of soundstage, the No. 3 isn't the best. Other technicalities like clarity and details and instrument separation are above average for a single DD, but if you compare it to equivalently priced hybrids/multi driver types at that price bracket, it isn't gonna be class leading. Timbre is also not the best for a single DD at this price bracket. One other thing is this IEM is highly sensitive, it hisses like a snake with some sources. It is very easy to drive though, on the flip side.

I spoke to some manufacturers and sellers, they claim the 19th is the same as the non TI regular No. 3, so just get the cheaper one, which is usually the 19th. At the asking price of the regular No. 3 at $100ish USD, I personally wouldn't recommend it, there's better single DD at that price bracket or even cheaper such as KBEAR BElieve, Toneking Ninetails, iBasso IT00, BLON BL-05S, KBEAR Diamond, TFZ tequila1, Urbanfun, Tin T2 Plus, HZSound Heart Mirror. I'll rate the TFZ No. 3 a 3/5 in the modern day context, compared to other modern day CHIFI. All in all, I find the No. 3 a one trick pony, it is very good for bass forward genres, but it gets found out in some other music genres.

Thanks for such quick and detailed response which saved me from getting the No. 3. I just saw a rather good deal for the No.3 19th (RMB219, or USD33) and of course am kind of tempted. I think from your description of the No.3, the sound signature is exactly the opposite of my preference :sweat_smile:. I don't have too many single DD IEMs, actually just the NM2+, the Tin T4 and new BL-01. Realizing that TFZ almost only do single DD IEMs I feel I gotta get a pair to see how they are supposed to be.

So if I am gonna get a TFZ, do you recommend the Tequila 1 according to your list?

Jan 25, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #2,079 of 2,251
Thanks for such quick and detailed response which saved me from getting the No. 3. I just saw a rather good deal for the No.3 19th (RMB219, or USD33) and of course am kind of tempted. I think from your description of the No.3, the sound signature is exactly the opposite of my preference :sweat_smile:. I don't have too many single DD IEMs, actually just the NM2+, the Tin T4 and new BL-01. Realizing that TFZ almost only do single DD IEMs I feel I gotta get a pair to see how they are supposed to be.

So if I am gonna get a TFZ, do you recommend the Tequila 1 according to your list?

$33 USD for No. 3 19th is an excellent deal. I bought my No. 3 (regular) at $120 or so previously!! If it is $33 USD then it is worth a buy IMHO, especially if u are looking for a basshead set. But at north of $100 USD, i wouldn't rec it.

TFZ Tequila 1 is less basshead than No. 3 (still basshead though in the big scheme of things). Tequila1 has better soundstage and better timbre and less shouty upper mids. Technicalities wise the No. 3 is better, as the Tequila1 can be quite muddy in technicalities. Isolation is poorer too on Tequila1 due to the semi open backed design, but it makes it up by having quite a nice soundstage, almost akin to earbuds.

Jan 25, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #2,080 of 2,251
$33 USD for No. 3 19th is an excellent deal. I bought my No. 3 (regular) at $120 or so previously!! If it is $33 USD then it is worth a buy IMHO, especially if u are looking for a basshead set. But at north of $100 USD, i wouldn't rec it.

TFZ Tequila 1 is less basshead than No. 3 (still basshead though in the big scheme of things). Tequila1 has better soundstage and better timbre and less shouty upper mids. Technicalities wise the No. 3 is better, as the Tequila1 can be quite muddy in technicalities. Isolation is poorer too on Tequila1 due to the semi open backed design, but it makes it up by having quite a nice soundstage, almost akin to earbuds.

Yeah, I really have no idea why the regular no.3 is so much more expensive than the 19th. I have the option to either get from TaoBao or AliExpress and these TFZ IEMs are always quite a bit more expensive on Ali while the prices are more comparable for other brands on the two platforms. I am more of a treble head and I think I can get a bit sick listening to overpowering bass. Guess I will try to look for more reviews on the Queen or other TFZs first... or maybe other single DD IEMs afterall :sweat_smile: :L3000:

Jan 25, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #2,081 of 2,251

YES Tequila vs No. 3, Tequila has better clarity and sound stage

Jan 25, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #2,082 of 2,251
Yeah, I really have no idea why the regular no.3 is so much more expensive than the 19th. I have the option to either get from TaoBao or AliExpress and these TFZ IEMs are always quite a bit more expensive on Ali while the prices are more comparable for other brands on the two platforms. I am more of a treble head and I think I can get a bit sick listening to overpowering bass. Guess I will try to look for more reviews on the Queen or other TFZs first... or maybe other single DD IEMs afterall :sweat_smile: :L3000:

TFZs are generally known for being bassy actually. If u are a treblehead u might need to look elsewhere. Check out something like the HZSound Heart Mirror (you must have an amp) or KBEAR LARK.

Jan 26, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #2,083 of 2,251
TFZs are generally known for being bassy actually. If u are a treblehead u might need to look elsewhere. Check out something like the HZSound Heart Mirror (you must have an amp) or KBEAR LARK.

Thanks! This HZSound seems interesting. I only listen to music with my DAPs and Amps so shouldn't be a problem!

Jan 28, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #2,084 of 2,251
Thanks! This HZSound seems interesting. I only listen to music with my DAPs and Amps so shouldn't be a problem!

TFZ especially Tequila can take EQ like a champ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back