The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
Dec 22, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #2,057 of 2,251
Surprised no posts here recently about the Essence. TFZ goes beryllium and people seem to love beryllium. https://penonaudio.com/tfz-essence.html

On the other hand I can also see people not being excited by TFZ at this point as well. :)

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #2,058 of 2,251
After testing the tfz live 1 and 3 i still prefer the TFZ Galaxy T2 - still win them over, the t2 is well tuned iem for such a price its a steal and my thought on the live 1 and 3 the difference isn't that much. Not to mention, the No.3 is still the best in my opinion

When doing some research and looking for iem around $35 - $70 the TFZ Galaxy T2's name seemed to come up a lot.
Is the shell on this a little smaller than the Live 3.

Jan 1, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #2,060 of 2,251
I have a tequila1 coming Sunday, I bought for $45.79. I wonder how it sounds compared to my trn v90 and no.3 coming Saturday.

$45 (I assume USD?) is a very good deal. It was originally north of $100 USD.

I actually like the Tequila more than the TFZ No. 3. Tequila is less bassy in quantity, but still basshead. Tequila has better timbre and isn't as shouty in the upper mids, with a better soundstage than the No. 3. No. 3 has better technicalities (other than soundstage), like clarity, instrument separation and details, but I found it too hot in the upper mids at louder volumes (Fletcher Munson curve).

The TRN V90 is a hybrid, so not that fair to compare to single DD types like No. 3 and Tequila, as at the budget segment, the different transducer (driver) types have their pros and cons. Generally, single DD types have better timbre/tonality, though weaker technicalities than multi driver hybrids, and vice versa.

Jan 1, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #2,061 of 2,251
$45 (I assume USD?) is a very good deal. It was originally north of $100 USD.

I actually like the Tequila more than the TFZ No. 3. Tequila is less bassy in quantity, but still basshead. Tequila has better timbre and isn't as shouty in the upper mids, with a better soundstage than the No. 3. No. 3 has better technicalities (other than soundstage), like clarity, instrument separation and details, but I found it too hot in the upper mids at louder volumes (Fletcher Munson curve).

The TRN V90 is a hybrid, so not that fair to compare to single DD types like No. 3 and Tequila, as at the budget segment, the different transducer (driver) types have their pros and cons. Generally, single DD types have better timbre/tonality, though weaker technicalities than multi driver hybrids, and vice versa.
It use to be $139usd, after tax I got it for $48.65usd on Amazon. I was scanning this thread and ran into yaw talking about the deal. I got the tfz no.3 19th edition because people were talking about tfz iem's and their bass. The tequila1's were looking interesting after research I did on them, being as open as they are. They'll both be my first tfz iem's, and have a competition with the v90's and lz a6 mini.

Jan 13, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #2,062 of 2,251
anyone knows if TFz n3 black edition sounds the same as tfz N3?

Everything I've seen points to yes.

Surprised no posts here recently about the Essence. TFZ goes beryllium and people seem to love beryllium. https://penonaudio.com/tfz-essence.html

On the other hand I can also see people not being excited by TFZ at this point as well. :)

I've bitten the bait for the Essence, especially since I could get it on Drop with a ton of drop points. Cost me a measly $62 out of pocket.. That's worth the gamble. I'll post my thoughts once they arrive (maybe in February? maybe?)

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #2,063 of 2,251
Hello, everybody.

Perhaps I have noticed that there is a thread exclusively dedicated to TFZ... I think I'd better post here the link to my latest review on the excellent TFZ Live X.
I hope you like it. I think it's one of the best TFZ models I've ever heard.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tfz-live-x.24904/reviews#item-review-25142

TFZ-Live-X-28_rs.jpg

Jan 17, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #2,065 of 2,251
Hello, everybody.

Perhaps I have noticed that there is a thread exclusively dedicated to TFZ... I think I'd better post here the link to my latest review on the excellent TFZ Live X.
I hope you like it. I think it's one of the best TFZ models I've ever heard.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tfz-live-x.24904/reviews#item-review-25142

TFZ-Live-X-28_rs.jpg
Great review, thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

I for one love my Live1, which is another underrated pair of IEMs, they are so good and lively (I know understand why they're named like this!) that it's almost unreal, especially given the price at which they are sold!

And, contrary to any KZ or TRN out there they come with a very good set of accessories, 2x3 pair of (excellent!) tips, a carrying bag, a great cable and excellent build quality. :heart_eyes:

Jan 18, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #2,066 of 2,251
Great review, thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

I for one love my Live1, which is another underrated pair of IEMs, they are so good and lively (I know understand why they're named like this!) that it's almost unreal, especially given the price at which they are sold!

And, contrary to any KZ or TRN out there they come with a very good set of accessories, 2x3 pair of (excellent!) tips, a carrying bag, a great cable and excellent build quality. :heart_eyes:

Thank you for your words!

Months ago I also analyzed the Live 1, here is the link:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tfz-live-1-1-dd.24575/reviews#item-review-24433

It is true that there is a lot of competition in the Live 1 segment, with models that do really well. But it's good to see that TFZ doesn't fail in this segment either, when there are other prestigious brands, which don't do so well...

I'm waiting for the Live 3 model, which is stuck in customs...I don't know if they will ever get to my house...

Jan 18, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #2,067 of 2,251
Jan 18, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #2,069 of 2,251
Thank you for your words!

Months ago I also analyzed the Live 1, here is the link:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tfz-live-1-1-dd.24575/reviews#item-review-24433

It is true that there is a lot of competition in the Live 1 segment, with models that do really well. But it's good to see that TFZ doesn't fail in this segment either, when there are other prestigious brands, which don't do so well...

I'm waiting for the Live 3 model, which is stuck in customs...I don't know if they will ever get to my house...
You're welcome! :beerchug:

Yeah, I did read your review (and @DallaPo as well) and I must say that those 2 reviews did have me pull the trigger on Live1, as I always wanted to try a TFZ IEM! :thumbsup:
I had been lurking for T2 Galaxy for a while, but thought Live1 would be a good entry into TFZ lineup. And I haven't been disappointed as they deliver a great sounding experience, probably some of the most resolving IEM I have been able to listen to (even better than multi-BAs Hybrid IEMs, which I don't like for a lot of other reasons), while being very energetic and un to listen to! :L3000:

Even if I had read that they could be fatiguing for long sessions I knew it probably wouldn't be a problem for me, given I listen at low volume.
And in that scenario V-shaped IEMs are good because you have some sort of natural "Loudness effect" and they end up being quite balanced, while being able to throw THAT BASS from time to time! :o2smile:

And in addition to having a good kit with them, TFZ sent a BV1 with the Live1 for free!!
Even if I don't use them I found the gift surprising, given the price of Live1! I know they are clearing their stock like this, but still.

As you say this price segment sees a lot of competition and TFZ doesn't seem to have the "momentum", at least here on Head-Fi, but it doesn't matter to me as, in the end, those are truly hidden gems! :heart_eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back