The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
Jul 3, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #1,951 of 2,251
That actually sounds pretty intriguing

Yeah i think TFZ No. 3 is still better in technicalities (other than soundstage), though will do further A/B testing with the Tequila and possibly compare it with other single DD sets too.

Jul 4, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #1,952 of 2,251
LOL speaking about the TFZ Tequila, it seems there's a time limited sale on Aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32866808807.html for $61 USD, with store coupon even goes to $59 USD.

FWIW I got mine at the recent sale last week for $54 with coupon gymnastics. I have a feeling they are getting rid of stock?

Wonder what they are cooking for their next release, their last wired release was the TFZ King Edition during the end 2019 period right (please correct me if I'm mistaken)?

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #1,953 of 2,251
LOL speaking about the TFZ Tequila, it seems there's a time limited sale on Aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32866808807.html for $61 USD, with store coupon even goes to $59 USD.

FWIW I got mine at the recent sale last week for $54 with coupon gymnastics. I have a feeling they are getting rid of stock?

Wonder what they are cooking for their next release, their last wired release was the TFZ King Edition during the end 2019 period right (please correct me if I'm mistaken)?
As far as i know there haven’t been any releases since the King edition so you are right. Perhaps they are busy cooking up the 4th generation driver. Something beryllium for the 4th generation driver with No.3-esque tuning would be sweet for bassheads :L3000:

Jul 4, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #1,954 of 2,251
Something beryllium for the 4th generation driver with No.3-esque tuning would be sweet for bassheads :L3000:
With slightly less prominent upper mids, then this would be killer set. Just smooth out the 2.5 and 5KHz peaks, and it’s golden.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #1,955 of 2,251
As far as i know there haven’t been any releases since the King edition so you are right. Perhaps they are busy cooking up the 4th generation driver. Something beryllium for the 4th generation driver with No.3-esque tuning would be sweet for bassheads :L3000:

You know when they say that they just mean small tweaks and at times people don't fell they are even an improvement more than a new tuning. If I hear 4th gen I am not so interested. Time for a whole new rethinking and redesigned driver. They are falling behind on the meat of the line up. King III, No.3, King Edition. So they better not put out something that only "keeps up with the Joneses'". Gonna be $119 or $129 they gotta be a step up from the NFaudio $99 ones and the IT00 and certainly Starfield and L3 and these types of things.

Would also be nice to not have an issue either with the tuning instead of just missing here or there with some part of the spectrum.

Big time for TFZ I think. They could become another Vsonic around here. Used to be something but no longer have the cache or interest anymore.

Jul 4, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #1,956 of 2,251
Gonna be $119 or $129 they gotta be a step up from the NFaudio $99 ones and the IT00 and certainly Starfield and L3 and these types of things.
To be a step up from those examples, in that price range, would be a huge feat. If they could at least match the quality of those IEMs, for that price, but bring their own unique flair/unique characteristics, it would be a winner. For instance, the No.3 has remained popular b/c of the bass response.

Jul 5, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #1,959 of 2,251

My Love 2019 edition is their last iem i think. MLV 2019 has the same impedance, same driver, same form and same configuration tan King pro.

Jul 7, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #1,961 of 2,251
Quite a discovery on MLV 2019.
A real treat.
First the price, it is very attractive to get an EMI for just 42 euros. What I liked most is that despite having a powerful bass it has a medium range of enormous quality and volume. There's no such thing as a backwards midrange.
The highs are perfect, not whistling or muffled.
For putting something wrong the soundtage is not as wide as other iems. But wow...

Jul 9, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #1,962 of 2,251
More observations that would make you believe that TFZ is letting the Tequila 1 fade to zero:

1. No longer listed in the official, AE, TFZ store
2. The "Spidey" Blue & Red now has an 8% off coupon ($60.72 USD), on Amazon: Link to Amazon

I only received mine yesterday, so I can't fairly assess the playback. But I can attest to the footprint; it's no where close to being obtrusive, as I thought they might be. The barrel shape sits comfortably and deep. Most of the gold band is hidden, when I insert them properly.

Tequila vs Blon.jpg
Tequila vs Blon 3.jpg

Jul 10, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #1,963 of 2,251
More observations that would make you believe that TFZ is letting the Tequila 1 fade to zero:

1. No longer listed in the official, AE, TFZ store
2. The "Spidey" Blue & Red now has an 8% off coupon ($60.72 USD), on Amazon: Link to Amazon

I only received mine yesterday, so I can't fairly assess the playback. But I can attest to the footprint; it's no where close to being obtrusive, as I thought they might be. The barrel shape sits comfortably and deep. Most of the gold band is hidden, when I insert them properly.

Tequila vs Blon.jpgTequila vs Blon 3.jpg

Hello!!!
In terms of soundstage, which one convinces you most about Blon Bl03 or Tequila 1?

Jul 11, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #1,964 of 2,251
TFZ No. 3 vs. Tequila 1

I've only held onto the No.3 because of their ability to give me a visceral sub bass, for 2000s Hip Hop (or whatever it's called). e.g. Lollipop (Lil Wayne), In Da Club (50 Cents), Yeah (Usher), Whisper song (Ying Yang Twins), ...
The No.3s are a royal pain for me, to get and stay seated properly; it's like trying to put the cork back into a champagne bottle. While the Tequila 1, I find the fit to be much more friendly to my ears.

The actual comparison of playback is rather straight forward, they are definitely siblings (High School Senior vs.Grad School) : The No. 3 is just a little bit more; they hit a little lower (not by much) and have a tinge more up top. Again this is with early 2000s Hip Hop; where vocals can easily become nasal, if there is too much of a V shape. Overall, I would sacrifice the No.3's low end for the Tequila 1's fit and playback; which I would define as being more mature. Bearing in mind, we're discussing TFZ's signature V shape.

1594498700606.png
1594498723858.png
1594498835076.png

Jul 11, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #1,965 of 2,251
TFZ No. 3 vs. Tequila 1

I've only held onto the No.3 because of their ability to give me a visceral sub bass, for 2000s Hip Hop (or whatever it's called). e.g. Lollipop (Lil Wayne), In Da Club (50 Cents), Yeah (Usher), Whisper song (Ying Yang Twins), ...
The No.3s are a royal pain for me, to get and stay seated properly; it's like trying to put the cork back into a champagne bottle. While the Tequila 1, I find the fit to be much more friendly to my ears.

The actual comparison of playback is rather straight forward, they are definitely siblings (High School Senior vs.Grad School) : The No. 3 is just a little bit more; they hit a little lower (not by much) and have a tinge more up top. Again this is with early 2000s Hip Hop; where vocals can easily become nasal, if there is too much of a V shape. Overall, I would sacrifice the No.3's low end for the Tequila 1's fit and playback; which I would define as being more mature. Bearing in mind, we're discussing TFZ's signature V shape.

1594498700606.png1594498723858.png1594498835076.png

Nice impressions! I 100% agreed. I'm actually liking the Tequila more cause it isn't as hot in the upper mids/lower treble area, plus it has better soundstage due to the open backed design (though poorer isolation). I think the No. 3 is more V shaped too, but it does have slightly better technicalities than Tequila. Too bad they are phasing it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back