The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #1,921 of 2,251
U have superb self control!!!

I managed to withhold pulling the trigger on transducers (no IEMs or earbuds) so far. But unfortunately I bought a Shanling Q1 DAP and some DAC/AMP dongles with ES9280C PRO chips. I think I need to turn off my WIFI before I browse more Aliexpress offers haha.

There are still a few days to go so i am assessing my options :wink: TFZ Tequila, TX Bear 1 and Moondrop SSr are on my ‘maybe list‘.

It is more or less a luxury problem. I don’t need any new IEMs but once in the rabbit hole there is no escaping anymore. I have just received my Thieaudio L3 last week so i have something new to play around for a while.

Q1 is a great choice. I have got a M2s and M0 and Shanling makes great DAPs.

Jun 22, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #1,922 of 2,251
There are still a few days to go so i am assessing my options :wink: TFZ Tequila, TX Bear 1 and Moondrop SSr are on my ‘maybe list‘.

It is more or less a luxury problem. I don’t need any new IEMs but once in the rabbit hole there is no escaping anymore. I have just received my Thieaudio L3 last week so i have something new to play around for a while.

Q1 is a great choice. I have got a M2s and M0 and Shanling makes great DAPs.

I pulled the trigger on the TFZ Tequila (got it at $54 USD after coupons gymnastics). Sorry basshead deal too good to pass off. Didn't buy any other IEMs this round!

I decided to hold off on the SSR after seeing the graph being too bass lite and some reviewers complaining the 3 KHz area was too harsh. Maybe the Moondrop SSP bassier variant may be better for us bassheads.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #1,923 of 2,251
I pulled the trigger on the TFZ Tequila (got it at $54 USD after coupons gymnastics). Sorry basshead deal too good to pass off. Didn't buy any other IEMs this round!

I decided to hold off on the SSR after seeing the graph being too bass lite and some reviewers complaining the 3 KHz area was too harsh. Maybe the Moondrop SSP bassier variant may be better for us bassheads.

I passed on the Tequila. I figured out that i am already quite happy with the No.3 as my TFZ basshead set. Hopefully TFZ comes with some new stuff as they have been relatively quiet in 2020. No new releases yet as far as i know. Some TFZ beryllium single DD basshead set would be nice :robot: looking forward to your impressions on the Tequila.

I have placed an order for the SSR but that one got cancelled because i got a message the waiting time is 2 months so i asked around at Aliexpress and another seller claimed he still had stock and if i order it would be sent this week. Then later Moondrop officially released a statement about QC issues with SSR :scream: I will see if the second order will be shipped ....

Jun 22, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #1,924 of 2,251
I passed on the Tequila. I figured out that i am already quite happy with the No.3 as my TFZ basshead set. Hopefully TFZ comes with some new stuff as they have been relatively quiet in 2020. No new releases yet as far as i know. Some TFZ beryllium single DD basshead set would be nice :robot: looking forward to your impressions on the Tequila.

I have placed an order for the SSR but that one got cancelled because i got a message the waiting time is 2 months so i asked around at Aliexpress and another seller claimed he still had stock and if i order it would be sent this week. Then later Moondrop officially released a statement about QC issues with SSR :scream: I will see if the second order will be shipped ....

Actually, it may be a blessing in disguise about the SSR, it seems very strange that it was hyped to the moon, then they suddenly came out with the statement about cable issues with the SSR and stopped selling it for a month or so. Cables are easily obtainable, you don't need 1 month to sort it out. Sounds like a smokescreen for something? Never seen such big hype crash to the floor so rapidly! Though if u do get a 2nd set, let us know how it is!

Jun 22, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #1,925 of 2,251
Actually, it may be a blessing in disguise about the SSR, it seems very strange that it was hyped to the moon, then they suddenly came out with the statement about cable issues with the SSR and stopped selling it for a month or so. Cables are easily obtainable, you don't need 1 month to sort it out. Sounds like a smokescreen for something? Never seen such big hype crash to the floor so rapidly! Though if u do get a 2nd set, let us know how it is!

I don't want to derail the TFZ thread with Moondrop stuff but they want to investigate the problems. If they need to remanufacture new cables and do better QC a month is probably a normal time. If the second order will not be fullfilled, i will just wait for SSP to also drop and decide by then which one to get (perhaps both :ksc75smile:)

Jun 22, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #1,926 of 2,251

Damn, I'd have sold you mine for like $20. Basically a slightly leaner sounding king pro that doesn't fit as well. Oh wait, they're in my office and I don't have access to them until at least September....

I'm glad I grabbed as many pairs as I did before COVID closed my office....

I am hoping for some tfz releases in the near future as well even though I've still yet to get the no.3. I couldn't get the coupon gymnastics to make them any cheaper than when they're on massdrop so I passed this sale.

Jun 30, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #1,927 of 2,251
Do you recommend the TFZ My love edition 2019?

I bought it for less than 45 euros. It is an iem that unfortunately I have bought blindly. That is, there are not many reviews on YouTube and the ones there are in an Asian language that I do not understand.

It is a personal bet, I found its cable, its 12mm, 55 ohm driver, the same internal structure as the King pro go good ...Will IEM be better than KZ Zsx for EDM and tropical house?

The Kz Zsx is the most fun iem I have, it did not have many praises but it is super fun, the bad thing is that it is somewhat uncomfortable for long sessions and it lacks a bit of definition, like a somewhat cleaner sound.

Jun 30, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #1,928 of 2,251
Do you recommend the TFZ My love edition 2019?

I bought it for less than 45 euros. It is an iem that unfortunately I have bought blindly. That is, there are not many reviews on YouTube and the ones there are in an Asian language that I do not understand.

It is a personal bet, I found its cable, its 12mm, 55 ohm driver, the same internal structure as the King pro go good ...Will IEM be better than KZ Zsx for EDM and tropical house?

The Kz Zsx is the most fun iem I have, it did not have many praises but it is super fun, the bad thing is that it is somewhat uncomfortable for long sessions and it lacks a bit of definition, like a somewhat cleaner sound.
It should suit your music tastes fine and serve as an upgrade from the ZSX.

Jun 30, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #1,930 of 2,251
hi, anyone with the tfz no 3's what replacements tips fit the nozzle its 6mm. looking for silicon tips. i have a hard time looking for good ones, if links allowed id appreciate it.
Most standard ear tips should fit well.

Final Audio Type E tips - https://audio46.com/products/final-audio-type-e-tips-kit-with-case-and-nozzle-adaptor
I think these sound quite similar to the narrow bore stock TFZ tips.

AZLA Sedna Earfits (there are 4 types and 6 sizes, I recommend the short tips for the No.3 b/c the tips just attach to the end of the nozzle) - https://www.amazon.com/AZLA-SednaEarfitLight-Short-Pairs-Size/dp/B083XQV56V
The Sedna tips seem similar to the included wide bore TFZ tips, but I didn’t actually compare how they sound. The Sedna tips stay on very securely. I tried JVC Spiral Dot+ tips, and while they fit, they fit loosely, and don’t attach tightly to the nozzle.

ePro Horn-Shaped - https://www.amazon.com/eProaudios-ePro-Horn-Shaped-Ear-Tips/dp/B07S82M9PG
These really focus the bass, and turn the No.3 into really great bass head IEM, yet they don’t suppress the treble or mids. These may be my favorite sounding tips for this IEM.

SpinFit CP100 - https://www.amazon.com/SpinFit-CP100-M-Patented-Silicone-Replacement/dp/B01B793SLU

SpinFit CP145 - https://www.amazon.com/SpinFit-CP145-Patented-Silicone-Replacement/dp/B07BPXKDST
These have a notably wider core than the CP100, and for it to hold the nozzle tight, you need to push them in far over the nozzle. This way, they hold tighter, and don‘t cause the IEM stick far out of your ear. These sound lively, and similar to the ePro, but they seem a little brighter.

Dual-flange tips - https://www.amazon.com/JustEarbuds-Headphones-Replacement-Skullcandy-Symphonized/dp/B073C9B7CB
I just got these. If you‘re willing to use a deep insertion technique, to achieve a tight seal, these will REALLY turn the No.3 into a bass head IEM. It attenuates the treble and upper mids some.

Addendum: Please feel free to add to this list, and also add your impressions of the ear tips that I listed, since we all hear things differently.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #1,931 of 2,251
While trying on all of these ear tips today, I noticed that I’m getting quite a lot of driver flex with my No.3s. I‘m pretty sure that I occasionally get some driver flex with almost all of my DD/hybrid IEMs, more on the left than the right (I assume due to my ear anatomy). So, can repeated driver flex cause permanent damage? I almost always use silicone tips, and I like to make sure there is a tight, even seal. It’s a bad habit of mine to fidget with the IEMs and repeatedly check the seal.

Jun 30, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #1,932 of 2,251
While trying on all of these ear tips today, I noticed that I’m getting quite a lot of driver flex with my No.3s. I‘m pretty sure that I occasionally get some driver flex with almost all of my DD/hybrid IEMs, more on the left than the right (I assume due to my ear anatomy). So, can repeated driver flex cause permanent damage? I almost always use silicone tips, and I like to make sure there is a tight, even seal. It’s a bad habit of mine to fidget with the IEMs and repeatedly check the seal.

I ever spoke to a IEM manufacturer in the past regarding driver flex, they claimed that it doesn't damage the dynamic driver. Though I have read anecdotal reports in headfi and other audio sites that after a particularly bad case of driver flex, the driver just died.

Driver flex is usually due to a too tight seal, and is partially related to the tips we use + our ear anatomy. I found a few ways to mitigate it, YMMV:

1) Use foam tips instead of silicone tips, works sometimes for me. Probably cause the foam is porous and lets air escape thru the foams rather than going into the IEM shell.

2) Sometimes using another silicone tip that has lesser isolation/seal may reduce driver flex, though at the expense of isolation. Try a variety of different ear tips and sizes if you can, some tips give more driver flex than others.

3) Try opening your mouth and pulling down the earlobe before inserting the IEM, this opens the ear canal a bit for more space to insert the eartip, and hopefully some air can escape during insertion with the bigger diameter of the ear canal. ---> my favourite solution.

4) Insert the ear tip slowly or not too deeply initially, and slowly make fine adjustments to push it in.

Jun 30, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #1,933 of 2,251
I ever spoke to a IEM manufacturer in the past regarding driver flex, they claimed that it doesn't damage the dynamic driver. Though I have read anecdotal reports in headfi and other audio sites that after a particularly bad case of driver flex, the driver just died.

Driver flex is usually due to a too tight seal, and is partially related to the tips we use + our ear anatomy. I found a few ways to mitigate it, YMMV:

1) Use foam tips instead of silicone tips, works sometimes for me. Probably cause the foam is porous and lets air escape thru the foams rather than going into the IEM shell.

2) Sometimes using another silicone tip that has lesser isolation/seal may reduce driver flex, though at the expense of isolation. Try a variety of different ear tips and sizes if you can, some tips give more driver flex than others.

3) Try opening your mouth and pulling down the earlobe before inserting the IEM, this opens the ear canal a bit for more space to insert the eartip, and hopefully some air can escape during insertion with the bigger diameter of the ear canal. ---> my favourite solution.

4) Insert the ear tip slowly or not too deeply initially, and slowly make fine adjustments to push it in.

Thanks. Those are all good recommendations, that do work well.

It’s really my fault. It‘s like a nervous tik for me, where I keep fidgeting with my IEMs, and pushing them in to make sure they’re sealed. I try to do it slowly, but sometimes don’t. It’s like compulsively pulling up one’s socks (which I do), or constantly adjusting/pushing up one’s glasses (I don’t wear glasses). I know, I’m just :peanuts::peanuts:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back