Apr 6, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #16 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You
Just
Don't
Get
It

edit - and way to invalidate your own point by posting twice instead of using multi-qoute ******.

What I don't get is why you even give a frack if I use multi post or not. This is what I dislike about web forums in general, people who think it is some form of a governed society. The problem with that whole concept is that it comes along with all the same hiearchal crap and rules that people in society like to try and impose upon other more free thinking people. Sometimes I really miss the anarchy of Usenet back in its heyday.

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #17 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, the last time you brought this up, I publicly apologized for starting the "Let's make a story" thread, and I will again. It was late, and I was tired when I posted it. In retrospect, it wasn't the brightest idea, and I can see now that this wasn't the place for it. If you haven't noticed, I've stopped updating the front page, in the hope that it will just die away.

I don't know what else I can do. I'm sorry for doing it, but I don't see what good bringing it up here again will serve.

There is an unwritten rule on Usenet. NEVER APOLOGIZE TO ANYONE. There was nothing wrong with your thread and it was all in good fun. People telling others what they should and shouldn't post in a "general discussion" forum really rubs me the wrong way and it should you too.

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #18 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let people have their meaningless blather threads, but stick them in an appropriate meaningless blather subforum.

Uh, duh...I believe that *is* the forum you are posting in now.

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #19 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.... This is what I dislike about web forums in general, people who think it is some form of a governed society...

And what I do not like about web forums is members who think they have the right to say or do as they please. We are guests here. Act like that in my house and you will quickly "be shown" the door.

I guess the idea of community has been lost here.

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #20 of 118
I think different people have different expectation levels for this specific subforum. Some people want the same level of conversation that goes on in other subforums, but on general subject matter that doesn't fit in the other subforums. Others, however, feel that this is the repository for EVERYTHING that isn't welcome in other sections, regardless of how much real interaction it encourages. Personally I suppose I'm a bit too new here to be nostalgic and talk about how Head-fi is getting worse because of all the crap on the front page of Member's Lounge. I just ignore threads that I'm not interested in, I don't seem to have the trouble that some other members do.

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #21 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Post padding is a fact. There are people who have admitted as much.

I have posted this before and I will post it again I'm sure. I would rather see a reputation indicator rather than a post count indicator. Reputation goes to quality while post count goes to volume, and there certainly is no link between the two.

Too many people here still seem caught up in the Supremus fantasy.

What you are suggesting is a silly popularity contest and I, for one, couldn't care less what my reputation is. What is this? Friggin' High School again?

If people post purely to get their post count up then they are twats. I don't use multi-quote purely because I post replies as a I come across posts. I think that is how normal people have conversations so I won't start using multi-quote any time soon just to please a couple of anal whiners.

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #22 of 118
I for one can't believe nobody has posted "Indeed" yet..

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #23 of 118
Quote:

What you are suggesting is a silly popularity contest and I, for one, couldn't care less what my reputation is. What is this? Friggin' High School again?

If people post purely to get their post count up then they are twats. I don't use multi-quote purely because I post replies as a I come across posts. I think that is how normal people have conversations so I won't start using multi-quote any time soon just to please a couple of anal whiners.

Do you view head-fi as a community?

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #25 of 118
This started happening in another forum I used to frequent (had nothing to do with headphones). They made posts made in the off-topic forum/sub-forums not count toward the post count and magically much of the spammage instantly stopped. On the other hand useless posts in the on-topic forums increased but after some warranted heavy-handed moderator actions it all settled down.

I've done the usenet deal a while back and simply said, this forum is NOT usenet. There are forums out there that are aimed towards a usenet-style of forum, but this is not one of them. There are plenty out there for that use and I for one like Head-fi as a community rather than just another forum.

Quote:

Then the internet has it's share of "twats".
smily_headphones1.gif
Personally I see the usage of multi-quote as a courtesy to others as not doing so can easily take most of a page due to post headers/footers/spacing.

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #26 of 118
Quote:

“Me thinks he doth protest too much.”

Apr 6, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #27 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And what I do not like about web forums is members who think they have the right to say or do as they please. We are guests here. Act like that in my house and you will quickly "be shown" the door.

I guess the idea of community has been lost here.

Well, your idea of what a web forum is and mine are obviously two very different things. This is not a place (house etc.). It is just a page of text displayed on my computer and no one tells me what I can post from my own computer. Except the moderators, and only then because they have the power to ban me.

Apr 6, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #28 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you view head-fi as a community?

No. I view it as a place of discussion (mostly about headphones) and nothing else. Not my personal podium either, which is just another stupid conspiracy theory.

Apr 6, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #29 of 118
Quote:

I won't start using multi-quote any time soon just to please a couple of anal whiners.

I am all about the anal winners.

Apr 6, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #30 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then the internet has it's share of "twats".
smily_headphones1.gif
Personally I see the usage of multi-quote as a courtesy to others as not doing so can easily take most of a page due to post headers/footers/spacing.

That means I would have to read the complete thread and then remember what I wanted to reply to at the end of it. Sorry if it is annoying to you but what you suggest is just too much of a hassle.

Anyway, I thought the OP was complaining about just this "general discussion' forum and not all of the forums here. Seeing as his post specifically points to only threads in this forum I think perhaps that is what he was addressing and not all the various discussion forums. Here's a good word of advice though. If a topic does not tweak your interest then don't read it. Simple, huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back