The foobar2000 resource thread
Jul 21, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #16 of 126
Sorry for not updating the OP by the way. I'm currently on vacation and I don't have that much time, and it's a bit annoying to do it on my laptop anyway.

I'll add it in a couple weeks. Especially the interesting looking VU meter, but also Kiteki's and Accoun's recommendations

Aug 1, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #19 of 126
I'm probably going to sound evil with this question, but
How do you import your iTunes Library/Playlists?

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #20 of 126
    Dear audio enthusiast,

Here you have the Muleteer DSP — a rapidity maintainer module. This DSP designed to negate unwanted effects, excessive mass exerts on sound reproduction. In a first place, it's a transducer moving subsystem, including diaphragm and a voice coil. Much of this overweight effectively fought by negative feedback of amplifier's current driver. But this approach is incapable to solve this problem completely, since perfect solution lays through indefinitely short feedback roundtrip and infinitely fast amplifier slew rate.
    Muleteer DSP uses number of advantages to supply right amount of energy just at the right time,  overcoming critical drawbacks of modern solutions. First of all, it can look forward, to enable precise evaluation required amount of action. Second, the mentioned excessive mass stays the same all the time, making prediction of system response even more accurate. So, at least mathematically, mentioned problem, gets a perfect solution.

Download link: foo_dsp_muleteer.zip

CYa, copah (aka Vladimir Kopjov)

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #21 of 126
Quote:

Try adjusting the preamp settings. Go to Preferences > Advanced > Display > VU Meter. You should be able to adjust it so it's not maxing or barely moving.

Mine's set at 12.00 dB and 0.2 s rise time. You look like you have a different style of meter though.

Awesome!

Thanks so much. I calibrated it to be much more accurate.

My setting is set at 8.69db and a .02 rise time. Just a visual guesstimate so far...

I'll run some test tones through it to accurately calibrate it later on.

EDIT: The accurate setting on mine according to my test tones is 4db per channel with a .02 rise time if 0 is actually 0 dbFS. However, if we take the 5 to be the actual 0dbFs then 8db is much more visually accurate.

Aug 3, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #22 of 126
    Dear audio enthusiast,

Here you have the Muleteer DSP — a rapidity maintainer module. This DSP designed to negate unwanted effects, excessive mass exerts on sound reproduction. In a first place, it's a transducer moving subsystem, including diaphragm and a voice coil. Much of this overweight effectively fought by negative feedback of amplifier's current driver. But this approach is incapable to solve this problem completely, since perfect solution lays through indefinitely short feedback roundtrip and infinitely fast amplifier slew rate.
    Muleteer DSP uses number of advantages to supply right amount of energy just at the right time,  overcoming critical drawbacks of modern solutions. First of all, it can look forward, to enable precise evaluation required amount of action. Second, the mentioned excessive mass stays the same all the time, making prediction of system response even more accurate. So, at least mathematically, mentioned problem, gets a perfect solution.

Download link: foo_dsp_muleteer.zip

CYa, copah (aka Vladimir Kopjov)

Could you tell us more about this DSP, because I don't quite understand it's purpose not workings.

From what I understand this DSP tries to partially negate the negative effects of the finite elasticity and mass of a driver. I understand that this could be possible with a DSP, but wouldn't that require precise measurements from the system itself?

Aug 3, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #23 of 126
As you can expect, it makes heavy (dynamic) headphones sound more like light (electrostatic or armature) cans by compensating excessive transducer mass with energy.

CYa, copah

Aug 3, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #24 of 126
As you can expect, it makes heavy (dynamic) headphones sound more like light (electrostatic or armature) cans by compensating excessive transducer mass with energy.

CYa, copah

Is there a thread on this DSP on other sites (e.g. hydrogen audio)?
If so, I'd like to look at it in more depth.

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #25 of 126
HA forums ran by team is very extremistic in their commitment to "scientific" purity. You know, the kind that keep sayin' what in the world «One interconnect can't be different to the other, just because it's impossible — they all sound same». So, after more then a month of negotiations, i was banned just because it's impossible, since it's all based on my personal research in Physics which considered by HA inquisitors pseudo-scientific, very dangerous heresy :wink: I even was pointed once that using "audiophile" word is a kind of taboo on HA. So, you can count yourself, chances i get it published on HA :-|

CYa, copah

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #26 of 126
I figured this would be a good place to ask since it is the thread on foobar. I downloaded the column ui and it's in a .7z folder, it isn't appear on my foobar2000 like shown in the "A guide to setup". I open the file in 7-zip and there is a license text and then the actual file. It wont let me move, extract, or copy it outside of this .7z file. How do I get it so I can use it in foobar?

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #27 of 126
I figured this would be a good place to ask since it is the thread on foobar. I downloaded the column ui and it's in a .7z folder, it isn't appear on my foobar2000 like shown in the "A guide to setup". I open the file in 7-zip and there is a license text and then the actual file. It wont let me move, extract, or copy it outside of this .7z file. How do I get it so I can use it in foobar?

Extract it, and then the .dll file in the foobar2000 folder manually. Just browse to your foobar2000 directory and there should be a folder titled 'components', or something similar. I can't check right now.

If that doesn't work, it would probably help if you could link the component in question.

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #28 of 126
I just wanna say... Listen. Trust to your ears, and look after emotion. It's a more than 10 years of work behind that thing. And i'll spend another five to publish all the details. Leave all the guts to me so far. Just make your opinion — enjoying it work.

CU, copah

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #29 of 126
Quote:
Extract it, and then the .dll file in the foobar2000 folder manually. Just browse to your foobar2000 directory and there should be a folder titled 'components', or something similar. I can't check right now.
If that doesn't work, it would probably help if you could link the component in question.

It wasnt letting me for some odd reason, I downloaded an older version of it and im all good. thanks!

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #30 of 126
I just wanna say... Listen. Trust to your ears, and look after emotion. It's a more than 10 years of work behind that thing. And i'll spend another five to publish all the details. Leave all the guts to me so far. Just make your opinion — enjoying it work.

CU, copah

Well to be honest I'm highly skeptical of your component, but when I get back home next week I'll check it out in any case.
I'll add it to the OP if I can find any difference through A/B'ing for a while.

In my experience most things that claim to do give some improvement without really explicitly stating how, turn out to be nothing more than snake oil. Your's might be different, who knows.
I'm not on the level of 'science is everything' as the guys over at Hydrogen Audio, but I do like to have a clear idea of what I'm looking at. Right now all I know is that your component claims to reduce some distortions caused by driver mass/elasticity, but how this is done is still completely unknown to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back