THE FIRST FREQ SHOW REVIEW (Music Makers Triple Driver model from The FreQ) - w/PICS
May 4, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #91 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultimate Ears still has the upper hand in build and aesthetics
biggrin.gif
I just love the way a UE custom looks when it's in your ear - nice, flat, and clean.

Yeah, but you are paying a really huge premium for what you had just mentioned. I quite worried about the connectors as it looks like any pressure applied would be on the pins. UE has avoided the problem by making the connector sit more recessed into the custom shells. One more thing, does the freq show end with a single bore or a dual bore like the UEs?

May 4, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #93 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, but you are paying a really huge premium for what you had just mentioned. I quite worried about the connectors as it looks like any pressure applied would be on the pins. UE has avoided the problem by making the connector sit more recessed into the custom shells.

One more thing, does the freq show end with a single bore or a dual bore like the UEs?

Looking at mcramen's pictures, they are surely single bore.

And yeah, I'm sad that the connectors are like that; it's pretty much the only thing now from considering the new FreQ models to be godly.
tongue.gif

May 4, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #95 of 167
It might be possible to snip the connectors so that it fits in better. I've read of many people doing this when using their Westone ES cables with their UE phones (the connectors are a bit too long).

May 4, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #97 of 167
The reason why I asked about the bore is due to this piece of information from the M-Audio website:

IE_40custom_DualBore_v2008.jpg

Ultimate Ears’ proprietary dual-bore design delivers a wider sound stage through separate acoustic canals for high and low channels, allowing the sound to be mixed naturally in your ear. In contrast, multi-driver, single-bore designs mix the highs and lows inside the earphone, which narrows the sound, creates audible turbulence and ultimately lowers the fidelity of your music.

How true is this?

May 4, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #98 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It might be possible to snip the connectors so that it fits in better. I've read of many people doing this when using their Westone ES cables with their UE phones (the connectors are a bit too long).

The case you're referring to is replacing the SF or TF cord with the Westone ES2 one, which is something I've done. The point of snipping the connectors in this case is that the pins are a bit too thick for the UE plug, so you would have to make it shorter so that you don't have to push too far, damaging the UE connector.

Again, the problem with the new FreQ connector isn't that it doesn't fit well; it does, as indicated by mcramen, fit snugly.

The difference between the Westone cable replacement and the FreQ connector is that the FreQ connector is at a bad angle with the shell. The angle will cause a lot of pressure on the pins.

Who knows though. This all may be moot if the connector and pins are actually very strong
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #99 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason why I asked about the bore is due to this piece of information from the M-Audio website:

IE_40custom_DualBore_v2008.jpg

Ultimate Ears’ proprietary dual-bore design delivers a wider sound stage through separate acoustic canals for high and low channels, allowing the sound to be mixed naturally in your ear. In contrast, multi-driver, single-bore designs mix the highs and lows inside the earphone, which narrows the sound, creates audible turbulence and ultimately lowers the fidelity of your music.

How true is this?

It's probably true, and trust me, the FreQs are dual bore. There's no reason for them to switch from dual to single. Also, if you look at the pictures carefully, you will see two bores (or at least two tubes)
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #100 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's probably true, and trust me, the FreQs are dual bore. There's no reason for them to switch from dual to single. Also, if you look at the pictures carefully, you will see two bores (or at least two tubes)
smily_headphones1.gif

Yep, the SuperFreQs are dual bore, and that is what I would expect on the new ones as well:
img_4990.jpg

Will

May 4, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #101 of 167
Well, I certainly hope to see tons more impressions after Can Jam today! Can't wait...

May 4, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #104 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stelixus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, ya think that the FreQ Shows can be worn both ways, over head and vertically?
And, are they using ES2 cables? or something really similar?

I doubt you can wear them vertically. I think you have to choose one or the other. The FreQ Shows are made for stage musicians who will wear the customs over the ear every time they use it to prevent snagging.

They are using cables identical to the ES2 and UE ones (same plug, connector). However, Westone and UE are getting new cables I think. I've seen the new clear Westone cable (feedmetrance) that has the Westone logo on it and looks nicer.

May 4, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #105 of 167
whoever owns these: once the swelling goes down,

Are these worth selling the SE530s and pitching in another $100+ for these? I would also need an amp.... so another $200

thanks guys.

I HOPE that the guys at Freq will fix that connector problem. I really dont think that they will keep it like that. They could even extend the mold a little more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back