THE FIRST FREQ SHOW REVIEW (Music Makers Triple Driver model from The FreQ) - w/PICS
May 3, 2008 at 8:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 167

-=Germania=-

Headphoneus Supremus
*This review will be added onto as time goes on.*

Disclaimer: These are my first full custom IEM’s, so please do not ask me about other customs. This is based on my experience and using the equipment below. Other compoents (besides those in my sig) are from recent memory of sound.

In this short review I will be including comparisons to other cans and universal IEMs.

[size=medium]EQUIPMENT used: [/size]

Portable:
-iPod Touch
-MicroShar LOD
-Visely HEA-1

Stationary:
-Computer
-Coaxial Digital (Creative onBoard Theater Mobo soundcard)
-Sony STR-k650P (as my DAC)
-MisterX XP Home AMP (using very good 1M RCA interconnects).

[size=medium]PACK-INS:[/size]

As or right now it is pretty sparse, but this could change in the future.
-Small Padded vinyl case with a Velcro closure
-Warning Card (telling you some basic knowledge of use)
-Referral cards to your friends or anyone else
-Letter from the FreQ

* It would be nice to see a compact hard case, but this is fine for my purposes. It is all about the headphones anyway.*

HPIM1089.jpg

[size=medium]BUILD:[/size]

The build is nothing short of fantastic.
I had a few options that I requested. Namely, I have custom artwork and custom coloring. The black is actually a translucent black. I wanted this color for better continuity with the clear and to make the graphic pop without being too pronounced. The left ear has a bass clef while the right ear has a treble clef. My choice was based on getting something I would never get sick of, match everything, and look great no matter what. If you see the graphic, it is very clean and well done. There is no jagged line and the whole graphic is completely flat and covered. The overall look is stunning in person.

The build seems better than LiveWires and looks very similar to UE's I have seen. There are no major air bubbles and the only thing that can been seen as possibly a flaw is a bit of bubbling by the tube. This is something that I have seen in UE's and would be completely unnoticed if a color other than clear is chosen. It feels very solid in your hand.

* I pre-apologize for the really crappy Macro on my camera - its is really bad...*
FreQ1.jpg

FreQ3.jpg

FreQ4.jpg

[size=medium]
MICROPHONICS/CABLE: [/size]

This does not exist! The cable is very flexible (extremely) and comfortable. It looks like a Westone cable. The plug is nice and very sturdy. The cable seems very nice, but it doesn't seem like it would be highly durable only because it is very pliable and thin. As of right now, there are only two cable color options: Neutral and Black. However, I have been informed that a clear and white cable is in the works. The cable goes over the ear and has a memory wire. You really don't notice it.

FreQ2.jpg

[size=medium]FIT: [/size]

It took all of 60 seconds to get the ideal fit for the first insertion. It is very easy to get these in and out. The left simply popped into place immediately and the right just took a wiggle. It takes 5 seconds now...literally. These will not be needing a refit right out of the box. Chewing gum doesn't break my seal and neighther does head movement; these were designed for musician use clearly. This is not the case with any other universal IEM I have tried.

k-1.jpg
Keep-1.jpg

kep-1.jpg

[size=medium]DETAIL:[/size]

This is the area where it really excels beyond every expectation.
It is by far the most detailed headphone I have EVER HEARD. This includes RS1, GS1k, Sony R10's, DX1000, D5000 and IEMs such as the ety4, Triple-Fi, se530, etc. I have never heard such clean detail in my life.

Out of the Portable:
I tried to listen out of the headphone port and it was just not possible. The hiss is unbearable!!!!! The LOD/Amp combo was heaven, not even a hint of hiss. Be WARNED: These will reveal bad compression or recordings really badly!

Out of the Desktop Setup:
There was more than enough power for these things and the result of not using an amp was far worse than on the iPod Touch. I see myself using these more and more for my room setup because they simply disappear in your ears. I got a bit more detail using the same files as the iPod Touch.

For me, I feel that the ultimate tests come in listening to cymbals and piano. There are very few headphones that get this correct. They sounded realistic! I can’t get that from many things.

USE OF AN AMP IS ESSENTIAL
* These have the biggest difference with amplification - really two different worlds*

[size=medium]SOUNDSTAGE [/size]

Here it is a bit in both realms.
To me, the soundstage is not very deep, but VERY WIDE. The presentation is upfront, but it extends sideways. It reminds me of the older AKG's and Woodie AT's. It is unlike most any IEM. The only thing that compares is the ETY 4 in terms of presentation - but the FreQShow is much bigger and wider. The soundstage is not as good as a GS1k, k500, k701, DT880, HD600, you get my drift. It is the best when it comes to IEM’s – for sure.

[size=medium]
SOUND[/size]

I have to say that I love classical, big band, Ella&Louie (because they are their own categories), alternative, classic rock, acoustic, and pop-punk.

I am NOT a basshead, I like a nice clean top end and balanced sound. Neutral is my Game.

Instrument Separation:
It is very clear which instrument is which when listening and easy to pick out. I have a very hard time with the Ety4's and their lack of instrument separation.

Mids: TO DIE FOR!
There seems to be a clear bump in the vocals. It is very upfront and wants to be noticed. This means that you also get a nice boost in the mid-treble instruments such as French Horn, Viola, Cello, Acoustic Guitar, etc. Your music sounds very lively and feels like it has movement. Very similar to Audio Technica vocals (think older Woodies and ES7's).
This seems to be inline with on-stage vocalists. Not a huge bump, but clearly there.

Treble:
It isn't rolled off like most IEM's tend to do (se530). The top end is there and clear. It is balanced. I would say that the treble is AKG like in that it isn't piercing (like Grados can often be) and it isn't overwhelming. The treble is neutral and I quite like it. I could sometimes want a bit more for certain pieces, but that is it.

Bass:
This is where I think it makes a huge deviation from the SuperFreQ.
The bass is there and well extended, but not as bassy as a Sennheiser headphone.
It is tight and clean. Instead of just presenting a wall of bass sound like most headphones do, you can actually tell the character of the bass (the pulling of a bow across a string bass or the thump of an electronica voicing). There isn’t bloat to these.

Speed:

These are fast, and they should be for IEM’s. They are not mid-upper Stax fast. There is nothing that compares to that speed. It is the same as most balanced armatures. I would expect something near an AD2k/Ety 4. Speed is something that I really need.

Impact:
These sound like full size cans in this respect. You feel the thump and the involvement.
There is no universal IEM that compares.

[size=large]OVERALL: [/size]

I would say that there is a lean towards warm. These are not Ety’s. The Bass is much better an dthese are not UE or Shure because the treble makes a nice appearance. The Klisph custom2’s had very recessed mids and leaned towards bass. The se530 seemed bloated and muddy. If you are looking at a top level universal IEM, you cannot go wrong here. It simply outclasses the competitors in the price range.

These WERE AMAZING with classical pieces. I mean really spot on when it comes to sound. My heart sank listening to many of my favorite Arias and Orchestral Pieces.
I have a love affair with Ella & Louie as many of you know and it made all of my body just relax. The rock pieces sounded very good and like how they should.
The sound is very MUSICAL. I would consider them a warm-neutral, however. Everything is there and presented, but with a bump in the Mids.

I would not consider these to be Analytical. They would be great for onstage performers and serious music listeners alike because they present a lot of flow to pieces and highlight the important areas. I would have no problem using these to master a CD, but I believe in using multiple headphones when doing that work to make sure that it sounds good on all types of equipment.

These fit my listening very well. They did everything I like with ease and have the musical + neutral nature of the rest of my choices. For now, I think that I could consolidate down to the k400 and the FreQShow and be extremely happy.
[size=large]
MY RECCOMENDATION[/size]

If you are a Grado person, stick with the Etymotics.

If you are a Sennheiser person, stick with the se530/Klisph Custom 2.

If you find yourself in between these, the best choice would be these.
In many ways, I think that they hit the same market as the UE’s. The FreQShow tend to be more neutral in presentation (compared to the universal IEM’s) by having less of a bass bias.

I have been floored by the customer service of this company and that alone is enough for me to give them MY FULL RECCOMENDATION.

The price is astounding for what they offer. Give them the try they deserve.

*For the future*
I am in the process of developing a better LOD for the iPod that would be custom fit for my system. I can also see myself getting a Headsix (used) in the near future. The Visely is a very good amp, but I am wondering if the FreQShow are capable of more. I have an inkling that it has room to grow.

*If you have found this review useful and plan on purchasing one of the products from the FreQ, please mention my Username or Head-Fi. I know that they are interested in Head-fiers!*

May 3, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 167
I got mine for $200.... + shipping of things back and forth, but I originally ordered the SuperFreQ. * See explanation*

I had placed an order back in febuary and there was a whole series of complications with my SuperFreq order ( lost impressions...goo.. the problem has been fixed now). I helped them figure out some stuff and Todd offered me a free upgrade for all of my patience and positive attitude through the whole ordeal. * I tend to be very positive and I had other toys to divert my attention...plus I am the oldest of 5 children...very patient!*

Even at $350 THESE ARE A STEAL! They smash all over many comperable headphones (full sized) in the same range.

May 3, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #6 of 167
Thanks for the review, but now...crud, I may be switching on my plan from Livewires to these.
redface.gif

May 3, 2008 at 8:57 AM Post #7 of 167
Nice review, extremely tempting. But not till next year at least. The only possible caveat i can see, is that you make it sound like that without an amp (in portable situation) they would be a nightmare.

Also, how far into your ear do they go?

May 3, 2008 at 9:02 AM Post #8 of 167
The problem is that the headphone ports on many portable players have hiss. When you have something that gives this much detail and resolution, you notice it! If the headphone is very clean - there would be no problem. They don't require alot of power, just a clean signal. One way to get rid of it would be to buy and resistance adapter or an attenuator.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review, extremely tempting. But not till next year at least. The only possible caveat i can see, is that you make it sound like that without an amp (in portable situation) they would be a nightmare.

Also, how far into your ear do they go?

May 3, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #9 of 167
oh jeebus....... I wonder how good they'd sound unamped off an iAudio 7.. Now I'm regretting selling my headsix and ipod
frown.gif

May 3, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #10 of 167
Germania, do you plan to take better pics of the Freqs?

May 3, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #13 of 167
The hell with the IEMs I was going for I want them. Do you have link to them or just give me the full name and I'll look them up.

BTW it seems that the cables are now replaceable are they? I think you and someone els told me to hold off getting the Live Wires or the UE triple to see how these IEMs work out. I think now I'm glad I was patient enough to see them. Thanks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back