The final question to e3c vs e6i poll
Oct 23, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #16 of 127
i think the poll said enough... i'll go with e6i and if they are uncomfortable or not what i want i'll return and i'll get the e3c. the bad thing now is that i have to wait till it comes out. not sure if i should just get it from palmone and ask for the replacement tips when they come out or just wait for the new version (possibly fix things up a bit more)

i was thinking about ksc 35 again and maybe the sharp, but i dont want extension cords and i need good isolation (using this to study too)

Oct 23, 2004 at 8:59 AM Post #17 of 127
IMHO, you should just go ahead and get the er6i's. I have them, and there's no problems with the tips coming off on my set. They're just as secure as they are on the 4p's. But that's not saying that others haven't had issues, just saying you may not. But it's not the actual canalphone being tweaked, it's just the tips, and you need to get a new set eventually anyway.

As for the amp business, no one says you have to carry one, and they are very pleasent without an amp. I'm just point out that they will grow with you, should you ever change your mind.

Oct 23, 2004 at 2:15 PM Post #19 of 127
Hmm, common people:

- Etys come with 90 days warranty, no money back warranty, a flimsy thin chord, and a crappy fragile connection to the headphone.

- Shures come with a 2 year warranty, 30 day money back, post warranty cheap replacement ($50 for replacement after warranty expires), thick durable chord, rock solid construction.

Sound wise, maybe the etys have a more pleasant treble. Shures have a clearer, more emphasized mid and an incompareable bass. Comparing the E3's to the ER6's is a joke!

The shures over emphasize the mids to allow people to hear clear sound in a loud setting like a stage, a noisy office, a train. They have slightly rolled off treble for that very same reason. The treble can however be brought back in full with minor equalization to sound more "pleasant". But then again, if you're going to compare the E3c's to a cheaper pair, why not compare to $20 sony earbuds. Hell, those have a more "pleasant" sound -- very strong muddy bass, no mids, overemphasized treble, and none of that annoying detail ofcourse
smily_headphones1.gif

The Shures can only really be compared to the Ety ER-4 -- look at the charts
http://headroom.headphone.com/graphs...hp?graphID=489
http://headroom.headphone.com/graphs...hp?graphID=465

So the treble is over emphasized on the ER-4's in parts to bring that openess to the sound, making the shures sound claustrophobic by comparison. But hell, for the durability of the Shures and the far better warranty policy, I'll take the E3c's over the Ety's anyday. I just fire up the great equilizer on the Iops MFP350 player to completely remove the intentionally claustrophobic sound.

Oct 23, 2004 at 3:59 PM Post #20 of 127
I have been trying to decide the same thing.
I myself think detail is very important, but to me musicality is much more important. According to this review Shure canalphones are much more musical then Etys. Etys are said to hollow out the notes giving a very clear sound, however at the same time geting rid of the dacaying of notes. What I can imagine is that Ety's sound thin compared to the shures which are said to much fuller, and still maintaining amazing clarity.
The choice seems to depend on what you are looking for: Very clear Musical full sound, or amazingly clear, detailed, though thin sounding.

The review
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=74814

By the way I am just basing this from what I have read. I have auditioned neither.

Oct 23, 2004 at 4:21 PM Post #21 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
IMHO, you should just go ahead and get the er6i's. I have them, and there's no problems with the tips coming off on my set. They're just as secure as they are on the 4p's. But that's not saying that others haven't had issues, just saying you may not. But it's not the actual canalphone being tweaked, it's just the tips, and you need to get a new set eventually anyway.

As for the amp business, no one says you have to carry one, and they are very pleasent without an amp. I'm just point out that they will grow with you, should you ever change your mind.

This is my first post at head-fi, but I thought I would just make a comment here. I emailed Ety's customer service and what I was told was that the actual earphones are being modified to fix this problem. I'm not sure if they have an ETA on the new modified version, but of course they said it would be "soon." Go figure
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2004 at 7:43 PM Post #22 of 127
well if u go by chart. e6i is very good cuz they have 10 db of more bass.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i-ts.asp

but like everyone says in other threads... basing this decision on charts is not a good idea.

I have a question. Which is easier to put on and off? the shures?

is it difficult to put on the etys? cuz i will be taking them off and on inbetween classes so i dont want something i have to wiggle around in my ear for a few minutes to get it in. if i can simply shove them in and out then thats fine.

Oct 24, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #24 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by lee0539
well if u go by chart. e6i is very good cuz they have 10 db of more bass.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i-ts.asp

but like everyone says in other threads... basing this decision on charts is not a good idea.

I have a question. Which is easier to put on and off? the shures?

is it difficult to put on the etys? cuz i will be taking them off and on inbetween classes so i dont want something i have to wiggle around in my ear for a few minutes to get it in. if i can simply shove them in and out then thats fine.

In this case, you could not go with the charts even if you wanted to because the testing parameters were entirely different between the two.

I found the Shures much easier to put on, but would take this experience of mine with a grain of salt because you need to realize I had the Shures for a much longer time than I did the Ety's (i.e. I may have been simply more acclimated to the Shures).

Oct 24, 2004 at 5:18 AM Post #25 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver
This review may help.

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/coandfith.html

For the E3c read the whole review. He made an update after the E3c's burned in.

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/reofshe3ceaw.html

Er6i:

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/reofet6ieea.html

I wouldn't base any purchase of mine on his findings, but it's interesting to see the numbers he pegged for the ER-6i and the Shure E3.

Etymotic ER-6i: 7.5, 8, 8.5

Shure E3: 8, 8.5, 9

EDIT: By the way, there's something he says that is a load of bullocks.

Quote:

Someone told me that the E3c sounded a lot better after a heavy break-in period. (All speakers and earphones usually need some playing time before the sound-producing material vibrates and loosens up to operating specifications.)

I had already broken in all the reviewed earphones for a few hours before the listening tests, but I went ahead and broke in the E3c for a while longer just to make sure.

Much to my surprise, the sound improved significantly! The bass was just as good as the E2c, and everything sounded more detailed and crisp, almost on par with the E5c.

To the best of my knowledge, unlike their dynamic counterparts, balanced armature drivers do not "break-in" -- any improvement he noted was probably due to acclimation.

Oct 24, 2004 at 1:18 PM Post #27 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by lee0539
maybe i should jsut buy the ksc35s again (it got trashed cuz it broke one side had no sound). or the ksc75 since it was a bit uncomfortable.

Yes, if you don't actually need the isolation of a canalphone, do get one of the koss phones, 35, 55, 75, portapro, whichever one you like the look and style of.

I like using the E3c when I need isolation, but the ksc-55 is more fun to listen to when I can get by with an open portable 'phone.

And one more thing, I don't think 32 people here have listened to both, I bet everyone is just voting based on what they read. Again.
rolleyes.gif

OK, I see in a later post you do want the isolation. I haven't heard the ety's but I agree with hackeron's points about the E3's. In addition, the E3 have more fitting options, with the 2 types of flex sleeves,foamies and you can order the 3x flange sleeves too. If they don't fit right they won't sound right, but with all the different sleeves you should be able to find something that works for you.

Oct 24, 2004 at 2:04 PM Post #28 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
To the best of my knowledge, unlike their dynamic counterparts, balanced armature drivers do not "break-in" -- any improvement he noted was probably due to acclimation.

May very well be true, but when I got my E3c, there was *no* bass! -- I was very disappointed. I was trying them with different tips for around 5 hours before deciding to send them back in the morning, but leaving them over night playing THX bass samples just for the sakes of it.

In the morning the bass was more than enough! -- I dont see how such a dramatic difference coud be coincidental, but it was easier getting them in my ears, so maybe I just suddenly "got it" on how to insert them, but fact remains I experienced what he has.

Oct 24, 2004 at 3:12 PM Post #29 of 127
Im going to buy a pair of E3's and, do a comparason with a friends ER6i.
Having heard to the ER6i I can already say sound quality it's awesome, but it's durability is a joke. Also the warranty is funny. With 90 days of warranty I hope the E3 is better sounding. I wouldnt want to buy Ety, to replace it every few months.

Oct 24, 2004 at 7:07 PM Post #30 of 127
I just got home from J&R, and based on my first few minutes of listening, It seems ER6i is much better. However it could be because I have only been comparing them for an hour.

First impressions based on almost an hour of listening.

E3: Clarity is amazing, but so is the Er6i's. There is no bass. Midrange seems to take over the rest of the sound. Highs are great, but I find the ER6i more detailed. It doesn't sound thin as the ER6i which is a good thing of the E3. Durability is far better than that of the Er6i. Warranty is also much better.

ER6i: Clarity is amazing, but so Is the E3's. Bass seems to be more noticeable then on the E3's. Highs are great. Highs while are more detailed can get annoying. Er6i seems to be very fragile, and has a warranty of only 90 days. Fragility and bad warranty don't mix well. Tends to sound thin. Overall this ety's seem to sound much better though.

I am going to leave them playing bass heavy music to see if they improve like hackeron's E3c. Ill post on any improvements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back