The Final Audio D8000 Pro Collector’s Edition is now available for pre-order at Headphones.com!
Sep 6, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #91 of 109
This helps since I listen to various kinds of music under the sun.
Then the D8000 is an better match than the D8000 Pro imho.

According to the developers. the D8000 Pro was tuned intentionally ""wrong"" so it doesn't distort when you listen at high volumes (hence the pro in the name, it is designed for professionals who need higher volume).

But because it is more expensive, people think it is automatically better (also because it has the pro in the name) but if you just want to listen to music, and you don't crank them to 11, the non-Pro Version is the better version.

Sep 6, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #92 of 109
According to the developers. the D8000 Pro was tuned intentionally ""wrong"" so it doesn't distort when you listen at high volumes (hence the pro in the name, it is designed for professionals who need higher volume).
Final never said they compromised the tuning to reduce distortion, so that's not true at all. They just tried to make a more reference tuning, suited for professional use. If you wanna judge the FR response of both, you could argue that the regular D8000 tuning is more "wrong" than the Pro.

Sep 6, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #93 of 109
Final never said they compromised the tuning to reduce distortion, so that's not true at all. They just tried to make a more reference tuning, suited for professional use. If you wanna judge the FR response of both, you could argue that the regular D8000 tuning is more "wrong" than the Pro.
They say so on the Japanese homepage, complain to final, not me. Im not saying that, im just citing.

And if you look at the fr graph, the D8000 Pro is defenetly wrong. Just compare it to an professional studio headphone like the Audeze LCD-X and you see, that it has recessed bass and mids (or pushed treble, depending on how you see it)

graph (23).png

This is far from correct and makes everything sound overly bright. Some songs like "Let it die" from ReoNa for example are unlistanable. The vocal is just pure pain, needles in your ear. That is _not_ correct, the song is not supposed to sound like that.

Lets just look at the graph of the D8000 Pro alone, without reference

graph (24).png

Just look how big the difference between the treble and the mids/bass are. That is far from correct. Its an extremely bright headphone. Its almost 10db difference from treble to bass.

The D8000 is not warm, the D8000 already is a brighter headphone that is not on reference.

LCD-X --> Reference
D8000 --> Slightly Brighter
D8000 Pro --> Even brighter

The D8000 Pro is an D8000 with less bass so you can listen at higher volumes without distorting bass. They explain that on videos on YouTube in Interviews with the developers, you can't just say that is not what they did.

I leveled the graphs at 8kHz to make it more obvious.
LCD-X vs D8000 Pro
graph (25).png

M1ST (Another reference Studio Monitor) vs D8000 Pro
graph (26).png

As you see, its just an insanely bright headphone, it is _not_ an reference tuning and it is certainly not correct.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #94 of 109
They say so on the Japanese homepage, complain to final, not me. Im not saying that, im just citing.

And if you look at the fr graph, the D8000 Pro is defenetly wrong. Just compare it to an professional studio headphone like the Audeze LCD-X and you see, that it has recessed bass and mids (or pushed treble, depending on how you see it)

This is far from correct and makes everything sound overly bright. Some songs like "Let it die" from ReoNa for example are unlistanable. The vocal is just pure pain, needles in your ear. That is _not_ correct, the song is not supposed to sound like that.

Just look how big the difference between the treble and the mids/bass are. That is far from correct. Its an extremely bright headphone. Its almost 10db difference from treble to bass.

The D8000 is not warm, the D8000 already is a brighter headphone that is not on reference.

LCD-X --> Reference

The D8000 Pro is an D8000 with less bass so you can listen at higher volumes without distorting bass. They explain that on videos on YouTube in Interviews with the developers, you can't just say that is not what they did.

LCD-X vs D8000 Pro

As you see, its just an insanely bright headphone, it is _not_ an reference tuning and it is certainly not correct.
Final never said they tuned it wrong, you are the one making that assumption.

Objectively, none of the headphones that you compared are "correct".
Both the D8000 and the Pro are bright headphones with recessed upper mids.

Subjectively we coud be arguing all day and it won't make sense. You say the D8000 isn't warm and I could tell you that it's warm and bass bloated...

The point is, don't call a headphone wrong cause you prefer one tuning or the other.

Sep 6, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #95 of 109
Final never said they tuned it wrong, you are the one making that assumption.

Objectively, none of the headphones that you compared are "correct".
Both the D8000 and the Pro are bright headphones with recessed upper mids.

Subjectively we coud be arguing all day and it won't make sense. You say the D8000 isn't warm and I could tell you that it's warm and bass bloated...

The point is, don't call a headphone wrong cause you prefer one tuning or the other.
You're right, it depends on the context,.

I am an musician, i know how instruments sound in real life and i record, mix and master them. Its my job to know what sounds wrong. So for me, everything that is not 100% authentic and sounds as it is supposed to sound according to the recording, is wrong.

But that is not true as tuning is an intentional decision and an headphone sounds right when it sounds exactly how the maker wants it to sound.

So to make it more clear. When you take "How is the track supposed to sound" as an reference, the D8000 Pro is more wrong than the D8000 and that causes exactly the issue i was referring to in my initial post, you can not listen to all songs.

There are songs that sound perfectly fine on the D8000 but painful on the D8000 Pro. The wider your music library is and the more diverse the selection of music you listen to, the less suitable is the D8000 Pro. It was designed for an specific usecase and if you divert from that, it will show you, that it doesn't like that.

So if someone says "I want an Headphone that makes everything sound good", its no the D8000 Pro

Sep 6, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #96 of 109

graph (23).png

graph (24).png

LCD-X --> Reference

LCD-X vs D8000 Pro
graph (25).png
graph (26).png
I wouldn't trust 100% the FR to point this HP as bright and it's weird that developers said that they just simply lowered the bass and released it as Pro...

This is not a very Japanese thing but I have to say that I've tuned the Pro like regular version comparing the FRs ((more bass, body, less highs) and I love it with most of the music I listen to but Pro with orchestral is simply great and I had to find perfect DAC/AMP for this in order to get perfect sound where I avoid any elevated highs at all cost

That brilliance of D8KP (10k-15khz) can work very good to make the sound more realistic with the right source

If I find a regular D8K for less than 2K I'm getting it

Sep 6, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #97 of 109
I wouldn't trust 100% the FR to point this HP as bright and it's weird that developers said that they just simply lowered the bass and released it as Pro...

This is not a very Japanese thing but I have to say that I've tuned the Pro like regular version comparing the FRs ((more bass, body, less highs) and I love it with most of the music I listen to but Pro with orchestral is simply great and I had to find perfect DAC/AMP for this in order to get perfect sound where I avoid any elevated highs at all cost

That brilliance of D8KP (10k-15khz) can work very good to make the sound more realistic with the right source

If I find a regular D8K for less than 2K I'm getting it
I should have mentioned that, don't trust the FR graphs. They give an idea, but they don't tell you how the headphone sounds, nor are they even remotely correct (a lot of dips and peaks that are shown on the graph are not there in real life or are not as drastic).

So they highlighted the point i wanted to make, but only that. I hope nobody here ever buys an headphone/earphone based on fr graph but purely on its real world performance

Sep 6, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #98 of 109
You're right, it depends on the context,.

I am an musician, i know how instruments sound in real life and i record, mix and master them. Its my job to know what sounds wrong. So for me, everything that is not 100% authentic and sounds as it is supposed to sound according to the recording, is wrong.

But that is not true as tuning is an intentional decision and an headphone sounds right when it sounds exactly how the maker wants it to sound.

So to make it more clear. When you take "How is the track supposed to sound" as an reference, the D8000 Pro is more wrong than the D8000 and that causes exactly the issue i was referring to in my initial post, you can not listen to all songs.

There are songs that sound perfectly fine on the D8000 but painful on the D8000 Pro. The wider your music library is and the more diverse the selection of music you listen to, the less suitable is the D8000 Pro. It was designed for an specific usecase and if you divert from that, it will show you, that it doesn't like that.

So if someone says "I want an Headphone that makes everything sound good", its no the D8000 Pro
Yeah, I got your point. You overall prefer the tuning and timbre of the D8000, that's totally understandable.

After trying a lot of planars in the market, Id say that most planars struggle with timbre when compared to top dynamic drivers, specially biodynamics, but in my opinion, the D8K series is the planar with the best timbre that I've heard.

EQ also is a huge and overlooked factor on this hobby. With some EQ you can correct most of this "problems" and fit headphones to your personal preferences.

Sep 6, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #99 of 109
Yeah, I got your point. You overall prefer the tuning and timbre of the D8000, that's totally understandable.

After trying a lot of planars in the market, Id say that most planars struggle with timbre when compared to top dynamic drivers, specially biodynamics, but in my opinion, the D8K series is the planar with the best timbre that I've heard.

EQ also is a huge and overlooked factor on this hobby. With some EQ you can correct most of this "problems" and fit headphones to your personal preferences.
The new Yamaha is also excellent. But i genereally gave up on Headphones mostly. Not completely :wink: (is that even possible) but i can not find what i am looking for in Headphones. Which is not bad, i found that in my IER-M9. Nonthless the D8000 has a special place in my heart

Sep 6, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #100 of 109
The new Yamaha is also excellent. But i genereally gave up on Headphones mostly. Not completely :wink: (is that even possible) but i can not find what i am looking for in Headphones. Which is not bad, i found that in my IER-M9. Nonthless the D8000 has a special place in my heart
How’s the mdr z1r with the 1zm2? Pretty correct sound? I love the D8000 (non-pro) with my DAP but still looking for a great closed back!

Sep 6, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #102 of 109
How do the d8kproLE and d8k compare ?
I like the OG best. Definitely a keeper if you like powerful bass and full body sound. I may put the LE up for sale soon. Although the LE has more detail. But I love the D8000 bass. Most powerful bass I’ve heard so far. And I heard most

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #103 of 109
I have both the Elite and the D8000 pro ltd. The D8000 Pro limited edition technically are the higher tier headphone compares to the Elite. The elite suitable for relaxed listening but in-terms of details, resolution, soundstage and speed the D8000Pro are on top of the Elite.
Agree. Elite is a pleasing headphone. Sold it after 4 months of enjoyment when wanted to move to more qualitative loyal listening without going studio monitoring. I prefer D8000pro LE stealth and expanse which I’ve found boring at first. My favourite is the Camerton.

Oct 23, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #104 of 109
No one here sees the DCA stealth and expanse as a good alternative to D8000 family? From both sound and portability. I’m looking for not boomy cans that don’t weigh a ton. Did elite and all the Hifiman except Susvara.

Apr 27, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #105 of 109
20221117_183625.JPG20221117_172939.JPG20221117_183632.JPG20221117_183521.JPG20221117_183639.JPG20221117_172657.JPG20221117_183601.JPG20221117_183225.JPG

Thank you headphones.com they sound better than I remember from the OGs.
Hey man,

I have the D8000 OG non Pro and they distort on bass. Do these Distort on high volume? What would you say they sound like? Similar to the OG sound profile, or what headphone would you compare them to? Thanks for answering mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back