The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Feb 26, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #9,601 of 9,972
Hi.
I am looking for info on comparisons between this device and a Samsung Galaxy s7 edge with I own, but I don't find many. Is it really an improvement in audio quality?
I will play mostly classical music in flac lossless format and some pop music in high bit rate mp3.
Headphones will be in ear Senheiser and HD555 and HD 477.
Thank you in advance.

Your headphones are not really resolving by themselves  
biggrin.gif

I felt a difference with anything between a phone and X3-2, with X3-2 being the winner every time in all aspects of the sound 

But 

None of here know your sensitivity to small variances in dynamics, etc.  You might hear the difference, might not.   We here all think there is a difference or we would not purchase these units.

This is entirely true!

Sensitivity to changes is important in whether you will hear differences or not. 

If you've been using phone for very long, you might need to train your ear before you can distinguish nuances in sound properly 

Feb 26, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #9,602 of 9,972
I felt a difference with anything between a phone and X3-2, with X3-2 being the winner every time in all aspects of the sound 

But 
Sensitivity to changes is important in whether you will hear differences or not. 
If you've been using phone for very long, you might need to train your ear before you can distinguish nuances in sound properly 

Thanks for the answer. I do feel the difference between the phone and my average Yamaha RX-V473 receiver.
I am lucky to be able to listen to music at work but my computer sound card is so bad. One of the main uses for the player will be as an DAC for computers.

I have another question. Is the Q1 DAC comparable in sound quality to the X3 II? It can be usefull as computer DAC and I can connect it via USB OTG to my phone. And it costs less than a half the money.

Thanks.

Feb 26, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #9,603 of 9,972
Thanks for the answer. I do feel the difference between the phone and my average Yamaha RX-V473 receiver.
I am lucky to be able to listen to music at work but my computer sound card is so bad. One of the main uses for the player will be as an DAC for computers.

I have another question. Is the Q1 DAC comparable in sound quality to the X3 II? It can be usefull as computer DAC and I can connect it via USB OTG to my phone. And it costs less than a half the money.

Thanks.

I honestly haven't tested Q1. From time to time I go to AVstore showroom and test different equipment and I know I've seen Q1 somewhere in here, but didn't test it to be able to say. X3-2 is a great DAP and I could say that it's quite interesting + most people who own one are entirely happy with it 
biggrin.gif

Q1 might be a very good device, I just didn't get the occasion of testing one. 

If you need a USB DAC/Amp, I generally recommend X3-2 or X5-2, but now I feel like X5-3 would be the best of them by a considerable margin. 

X3-2 is a great DAP nonetheless and it will permit you to listen to music while commuting and such - making the whole experience complete. 

Feb 26, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #9,604 of 9,972

Thanks.

Yes - it is comparable in overall sound quality.  This might help - http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-q1-portable-headphone-amp-dac/reviews/15616

Feb 26, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #9,605 of 9,972
A quick question.
My X3-II sounds better and (if I'm not mistaken) louder through foobar2000 when my X3-II is plugged as DAC to my desktop computer than X3-II only (DAP function) Is it only me or is there a logical explanation about that? My computer is onboard crap when it comes to sound card but I think that doesn't make sense because I'm pairing my X3-II as DAC. Is it basically about foobar's playback quality>X3-II?
My onboard: Realtek ALC 888 (less powerful than X3-II, almost half)

Feb 26, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #9,606 of 9,972
A quick question.

My X3-II sounds better and (if I'm not mistaken) louder through foobar2000 when my X3-II is plugged as DAC to my desktop computer than X3-II only (DAP function) Is it only me or is there a logical explanation about that? My computer is onboard crap when it comes to sound card but I think that doesn't make sense because I'm pairing my X3-II as DAC. Is it basically about foobar's playback quality>X3-II?

My onboard: Realtek ALC 888 (less powerful than X3-II, almost half)

Same here. My music always sounds better from Audacity or Foobar2000 when using my X3ii as DAC only. And the difference is not subtle. I think the playback mechanism when used as a DAP must be different. Makes me want to permanently bench my portable rigs, but I hate being chained to the computer. So I am currently looking at putting the Dragonfly Black between the X3ii and Fiio E12 when going portable. That might sound as good as Foobar2000 >X3ii >HP. If you come across any good information to explain this phenomenon, please be sure to post. Thanks

Feb 26, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #9,607 of 9,972
Same here. My music always sounds better from Audacity or Foobar2000 when using my X3ii as DAC only. And the difference is not subtle. I think the playback mechanism when used as a DAP must be different. Makes me want to permanently bench my portable rigs, but I hate being chained to the computer. So I am currently looking at putting the Dragonfly Black between the X3ii and Fiio E12 when going portable. That might sound as good as Foobar2000 >X3ii >HP. If you come across any good information to explain this phenomenon, please be sure to post. Thanks

Okay, I'm not alone. Most probably this is about the playback quality difference between foobar2000 and X3ii. It's like the music player software in X3ii is somehow inferior to foobar2000. This is not a big deal for me since I'm having this issue with my full-sized AKG K612 because it's my desktop headphone and I always pair my X3ii with my computer. I'm using X3ii with my Havi outdoors.

Feb 26, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #9,608 of 9,972

Better or only louder? 

Feb 26, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #9,611 of 9,972
  Okay, I'm not alone. Most probably this is about the playback quality difference between foobar2000 and X3ii. It's like the music player software in X3ii is somehow inferior to foobar2000. This is not a big deal for me since I'm having this issue with my full-sized AKG K612 because it's my desktop headphone and I always pair my X3ii with my computer. I'm using X3ii with my Havi outdoors.

This is why the new Fiio X5iii intrigues me, though out of my price range, because it is Android based and you can install your own playback software, or use their stock software. Maybe players with this feature will come down in price eventually. That forum may provide some answers over time. Meanwhile, I keep rockin' the X3iii. 

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #9,612 of 9,972
  This is why the new Fiio X5iii intrigues me, though out of my price range, because it is Android based and you can install your own playback software, or use their stock software. Maybe players with this feature will come down in price eventually. That forum may provide some answers over time. Meanwhile, I keep rockin' the X3iii. 

Every single music app will have its own sound, that is normal on Android. 

X3-2 uses a MPV fork if my understanding of linux architecture is correct, you can test MPV on windows when you're using X3-2 as DAC and see if you notice similarities. 

Or better, use MPV on linux. 

Or a Mplayer fork since it is the basic Linux music player which can be forked (?) 

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #9,613 of 9,972
Thanks for the answers.
I have found good reviews for the Shanling M1 that also works as a DAC, but they only compare it to Fiio X1.
Do you think that M1 and X3 II are comparable in sound quality or shoud X3 II be always a clear winner? I see they use different hardware but can't find if there are many differences between they both.
If they are really similar I would spend the money difference in a 128 Gb MicroSD card.

Regards.

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #9,614 of 9,972
Thanks for the answers.
I have found good reviews for the Shanling M1 that also works as a DAC, but they only compare it to Fiio X1.
Do you think that M1 and X3 II are comparable in sound quality or shoud X3 II be always a clear winner? I see they use different hardware but can't find if there are many differences between they both.
If they are really similar I would spend the money difference in a 128 Gb MicroSD card.

Regards.

X3 II definitely. More powerful output than the M1 for one. In fact that's why I switched from M1 to X1 II even though I lost some functionality and UI benefits. I could hear the difference on my KZ ATRs.

When the X3 III comes out the current one may get discounted....

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #9,615 of 9,972
I would just like to compliment Fiio on their excellent customer service.

My experience started when my x3 suddenly had a blank screen, a therefore needed replacing. Fiio offered to replace it if I sent it back, or I could buy a screen and replace it myself. They provided a video for the replacement process, which looked relatively easy, despite it not being in English and so I ordered a new screen.
Unfortunately, one of the key steps, unwinding the central button would not work and I managed to damage the button by pressing too hard.
Having informed Fiio Support, they offered to try to replace the screen and repair the wheel, if I sent it to them, which I did.
It took some time to post it backwards and forwards, but they fixed it for me at no additional cost.

Therefore, I would like to thank their support team and a good endorsement of their product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back