The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Dec 17, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #9,316 of 9,972
The numbers I mentioned go beyond vertically fitting the full artwork on the screen, they are for fitting in the 169 rows of pixels in between top bar and progress bar. Therefore, in addition to (even bigger) left and right margins, the image needs a top margin.

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #9,317 of 9,972
  The numbers I mentioned go beyond vertically fitting the full artwork on the screen, they are for fitting in the 169 rows of pixels in between top bar and progress bar. Therefore, in addition to (even bigger) left and right margins, the image needs a top margin.

What are you trying to do? 

*Might be able to help you out! 

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #9,318 of 9,972

Ah, makes sense. :)

Dec 17, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #9,319 of 9,972

Hmmm. The 1st gen model artwork isn't affected by the top bar, and I did fail to consider the big sidebars you'd end up with - not entirely my fault though, it's mother-@#% cold here and I think I've frozen my brain. 

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #9,320 of 9,972
Hey guys this is random but ive been doing some thread searching to see opinions on x3ii vs x5ii, im curious as to why everyone considers the dual sd card slots in the x5 as a huge deal. I have a large music collecton but i just have a couple 128gb ad cards and hot swap them, i always use folder browsing mode as im lazy for tagging so its super easy. Why does anyone not suggest this to anyone else? Is it bad to hot swap the cards? Obviously not when a song is playing or anything.

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #9,321 of 9,972
Hey guys this is random but ive been doing some thread searching to see opinions on x3ii vs x5ii, im curious as to why everyone considers the dual sd card slots in the x5 as a huge deal. I have a large music collecton but i just have a couple 128gb ad cards and hot swap them, i always use folder browsing mode as im lazy for tagging so its super easy. Why does anyone not suggest this to anyone else? Is it bad to hot swap the cards? Obviously not when a song is playing or anything.

For those of us who use our DAP strictly as a portable player when out of the house, having as much music always stored in the player (without having to carry around extra cards) is a benefit.

Dec 19, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #9,323 of 9,972

Forget the X5ii. Go for the X5iii when it is released. It was just announced on the 17th of December. There is a thread for it.

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #9,324 of 9,972
Forget the X5ii. Go for the X5iii when it is released. It was just announced on the 17th of December. There is a thread for it.

No i get that and was reading about it but they are saying its going to be $400 to $450 usd. Thats in the range of well over $540 CAD. Thats pretty hard to justify to the wife, plus i already bought an x3ii two months which cannot be returned. In all honesty though and not to knock fiio as im a huge fan but i would rather have a unit without bluetooth, wifi and touchscreens and all that as it brings up the cost of the unit and i would prefer the extra research and development be spent in the sound department if the cost is not going to change. For those that wanted the extra features there was always the x7. I would never use bluetooth, i have a $70,000 loaded ram truck and still use the 3.5mm cable as it sounds the best. Again not to knock fiio and i have never heard the new one but the extra features dont interest me, i always carry my cell phone so if i really needed those extra features...i like the idea of a dedicated music player and thats all it does where i use my cell phone and other devices to explore new music and when i really want to listen i treat myself to the excellent sound quality of my x3ii. I really hope when they release the x3 3rd gen that they keep the model just strictly sound quality and minimalistic to keep the costs down as not all of us need a second cell phone. At this point i would much rather spend $500 on the hd600s which ironically my wife understands this more, with a new DAP that she likely wont hear the difference its hard to justify. Who knows though maybe i will likely even be skipping this years fiio generation and upgrading when the next one comes out.

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #9,325 of 9,972
No i get that and was reading about it but they are saying its going to be $400 to $450 usd. Thats in the range of well over $540 CAD. Thats pretty hard to justify to the wife, plus i already bought an x3ii two months which cannot be returned. In all honesty though and not to knock fiio as im a huge fan but i would rather have a unit without bluetooth, wifi and touchscreens and all that as it brings up the cost of the unit and i would prefer the extra research and development be spent in the sound department if the cost is not going to change. For those that wanted the extra features there was always the x7. I would never use bluetooth, i have a $70,000 loaded ram truck and still use the 3.5mm cable as it sounds the best. Again not to knock fiio and i have never heard the new one but the extra features dont interest me, i always carry my cell phone so if i really needed those extra features...i like the idea of a dedicated music player and thats all it does where i use my cell phone and other devices to explore new music and when i really want to listen i treat myself to the excellent sound quality of my x3ii. I really hope when they release the x3 3rd gen that they keep the model just strictly sound quality and minimalistic to keep the costs down as not all of us need a second cell phone. At this point i would much rather spend $500 on the hd600s which ironically my wife understands this more, with a new DAP that she likely wont hear the difference its hard to justify. Who knows though maybe i will likely even be skipping this years fiio generation and upgrading when the next one comes out.

off the topic but, can you tell me your impressions about x3 2nd gen? I will buy it as well because I am a music enthusiast and I always believe dedicated DAPs can bring better than smartphones, horrible UI is another thing but thats no problem for me (cant buy higher fiio models, my budget cries)

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #9,326 of 9,972
Mustainized 

Well i had the fiio x1 first, im still yet to post a review on both. I kept the x1 for the gym and now use the x3ii for all other times. Long story short i have had zero issues with the UI, the X3ii's UI is more visually appealing if you care about that. When i wanted better SQ i would stack the x1 with my q1, but now the X3ii is slightly more powerful than the q1 so its pointless...for IEM's though the X3ii does not need a portable amp but i still would like to see what it sounds like with the A5, im convinced i wont tell the difference between the A5+X3ii and the X5ii but yet to find out. I have not done any A/B comparisons with the x1 and the x3ii but i can tell just by listening that the x3ii has a larger soundstage, much better instrument separation and a more airy clear treble and 3d sound. Additionally the x3ii is more neutral and while the x1 sounds great on its own can sound a bit muddy and overally warm in comparison to the x3ii. I wont lie initially i was a bit disappointed when i first heard it compared to the X1 but thats because the x1 sounds very good aswell. You have to close your eyes and really listen for it with decent headphones, the more complicated songs such as some jazz tracks and alot of metal songs you can hear the difference. Some Piano tracks and slower songs are harder to point out differences. The general consensus is that the X3ii is the best value for the money, while the x5ii is really only necessary for the dual slots. Regarding the x5ii...Some people say its a night and day difference, others have bought and returned the x5ii only to say they cant hear the difference between the x3ii or the difference is not worth the extra mone, so its 50/50. That in itself was a reason for me just to get the x3ii and spend the extra money on headphones since IMO if you have a clean nuetral source. Btw the additional of a USB DAC is definitely worth it over the x1 unless you dont need that. There is still a market for the X1's though, i just bought an X1ii for my wife to replace her ipod. She does not really care about audio quality but i sold her on it...and for me its easy to transfer music since i have sd cards and already know Fiio and i hate itunes. Im sure she will notice the difference compared to the ipod touch as it sounds pretty terrible, but i highly doubt she would pass a blind test X1ii compared to x3ii.

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #9,327 of 9,972
Mustainized

Well i had the fiio x1 first, im still yet to post a review on both. I kept the x1 for the gym and now use the x3ii for all other times. Long story short i have had zero issues with the UI, the X3ii's UI is more visually appealing if you care about that. When i wanted better SQ i would stack the x1 with my q1, but now the X3ii is slightly more powerful than the q1 so its pointless...for IEM's though the X3ii does not need a portable amp but i still would like to see what it sounds like with the A5, im convinced i wont tell the difference between the A5+X3ii and the X5ii but yet to find out. I have not done any A/B comparisons with the x1 and the x3ii but i can tell just by listening that the x3ii has a larger soundstage, much better instrument separation and a more airy clear treble and 3d sound. Additionally the x3ii is more neutral and while the x1 sounds great on its own can sound a bit muddy and overally warm in comparison to the x3ii. I wont lie initially i was a bit disappointed when i first heard it compared to the X1 but thats because the x1 sounds very good aswell. You have to close your eyes and really listen for it with decent headphones, the more complicated songs such as some jazz tracks and alot of metal songs you can hear the difference. Some Piano tracks and slower songs are harder to point out differences. The general consensus is that the X3ii is the best value for the money, while the x5ii is really only necessary for the dual slots. Regarding the x5ii...Some people say its a night and day difference, others have bought and returned the x5ii only to say they cant hear the difference between the x3ii or the difference is not worth the extra mone, so its 50/50. That in itself was a reason for me just to get the x3ii and spend the extra money on headphones since IMO if you have a clean nuetral source 

Thank you, I cant buy X5ii, dont want to pay that much as well because people said X3ii is between X1 and X5ii with being closer to X5ii for SQ. At first I was about to buy X1, still love it but X3ii PC DAC option is VERY good for me too. My PC has onboard card.
I think even X1 sounds better than flagship phones. didnt hear it but it's dedicated audio equipment and if it was overrated we know it here, its not. Not to mention that smartphones are giving 1V at max

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #9,328 of 9,972
Thank you, I cant buy X5ii, dont want to pay that much as well because people said X3ii is between X1 and X5ii with being closer to X5ii for SQ. At first I was about to buy X1, still love it but X3ii PC DAC option is VERY good for me too. My PC has onboard card.
I think even X1 sounds better than flagship phones. didnt hear it but it's dedicated audio equipment and if it was overrated we know it here, its not. Not to mention that smartphones are giving 1V at max

Well this is what i've read aswell but i have not heard the x5ii. I have the objective 2 amp paired with the Q1 DAC. Maybe thats a poor comparison but i cant tell the difference between that and the x3ii...perhaps i would with a proper A/B switch. I would agree that the X1 sounds better than smartphones, my Nexus 5 had a terrible muddy sound and when i upgraded to the note 5 it was alot better. The x1 in comparison was an upgrade to my nexus 5 and also meant i dont have to bring a borderline phablet into the gym. The x3ii has an adjustable line out power though which is great for standard stereos where the X1 lineout has too much power and causes some static in the background on some stereos...including my Upgraded Alpine OEM stereo in my Ram 1500. We have to respect others opinions on DAPS and the differences, ill just say in my opinion the x3ii sounds so good that im 99% sure i would need an A/B switch to hear the difference between that and the x5ii. I would just get the x3ii if i were you and pickup a nice bottle of 40 creek Canadian whisky with the extra money you saved :), if you were budgeting just for the X1 just get the X3ii and settle for some cheap beer instead haha. 

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #9,329 of 9,972
  Well this is what i've read aswell but i have not heard the x5ii. I have the objective 2 amp paired with the Q1 DAC. Maybe thats a poor comparison but i cant tell the difference between that and the x3ii...perhaps i would with a proper A/B switch. I would agree that the X1 sounds better than smartphones, my Nexus 5 had a terrible muddy sound and when i upgraded to the note 5 it was alot better. The x1 in comparison was an upgrade to my nexus 5 and also meant i dont have to bring a borderline phablet into the gym. The x3ii has an adjustable line out power though which is great for standard stereos where the X1 lineout has too much power and causes some static in the background on some stereos...including my Upgraded Alpine OEM stereo in my Ram 1500. We have to respect others opinions on DAPS and the differences, ill just say in my opinion the x3ii sounds so good that im 99% sure i would need an A/B switch to hear the difference between that and the x5ii. I would just get the x3ii if i were you and pickup a nice bottle of 40 creek Canadian whisky with the extra money you saved :), if you were budgeting just for the X1 just get the X3ii and settle for some cheap beer instead haha. 

Hahaha, good idea!
I'm pretty sure these DAPs, at least X3ii or highers, even better than HTC, LG flagship smartphones. Not to mention power comparison. Smartphones are just a joke for that. 
If my computer had a ''real'' soundcard, I would buy X1 and get a good whiskey!

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #9,330 of 9,972
Man, I just saw the FiiO X1II and I'm jelly.  Very nice form factor and IT HAS BLUETOOTH!  IT HAS BLUETOOTH!!!  That is one feature I would have loved on my FiiO X3II.  FiiO!!!  WHY!!!

:frowning2:

But very nice.  I hope the next X3 has bluetooth and modular amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back