The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Nov 11, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #9,121 of 9,972
  I may be wrong, but I think you might have to scroll back through lots of previous posts on this forum to find the individual links posted by the individual (private) developers of the various themes available

Yes, terribly impractical. I've taken the plunge and created an article listing firmwares on Head-Fi's wiki. Anyone should be able to add/edit their versions there.

I've also cooked 3 new "launcher circle" variations (the background of the top menu) and put them on themes 1, 5 and 6 of my firmware.

Thank you for all the praise again. I didn't expect anyone to like that huge font in theme 6!

Nov 15, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #9,122 of 9,972
Is there any users of the X3II that have figured out good settings to roll off some of the harshness? I Was an iPod guy for 10 years until my Classics wore out. I always kept EQ turned off on my pods and nominal level just sounded great. I'm sure Apples nominal setting is colored compared to most hi-res players but it worked. I love the build quality and functions of my FIIO but i just can't seem to dial in a good sound with it. The high frequencies are constantly harsh and it just doesn't feel good to crank up the volume compared to a home stereo. Right now I'm going from the FIIO to my Vali 2 with the Genalex Gold Lion 6922 then to my Grado SR80i's. The Grados sounded great with every other player and stereo I've had. I just can't seem to find the sweet spot with this combination and with the FIIOs EQ, low-pass filter and line out DB settings.

Nov 15, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #9,123 of 9,972
Is there any users of the X3II that have figured out good settings to roll off some of the harshness? I Was an iPod guy for 10 years until my Classics wore out. I always kept EQ turned off on my pods and nominal level just sounded great. I'm sure Apples nominal setting is colored compared to most hi-res players but it worked. I love the build quality and functions of my FIIO but i just can't seem to dial in a good sound with it. The high frequencies are constantly harsh and it just doesn't feel good to crank up the volume compared to a home stereo. Right now I'm going from the FIIO to my Vali 2 with the Genalex Gold Lion 6922 then to my Grado SR80i's. The Grados sounded great with every other player and stereo I've had. I just can't seem to find the sweet spot with this combination and with the FIIOs EQ, low-pass filter and line out DB settings.

Seems like we just discussed pairing Grados with the X3II.  With that said, the general consensus was that they do not pair well unless modified.  I know I had issues with the pairing being to harsh for me with my SR60e.  I switched cans because I couldn't find a happy place that worked for me.  YMMV

Nov 15, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #9,124 of 9,972

Agree with @fourrobert13, the X3ii is on the bright side and most Grado's being bright does not make a good pairing. 

I'm one that do mods to my Grados and with the mods they sound quite good with the X3ii.  I modded my SR-225i (rosewood cups, sorbothane, dynamat, Earzonk G pads), SR-225e (dynamat, sorbothane, felt, EZ G pads), SR-80i (RS style walnut wood cups, dynamat, sorbothane, 3 vent holes, felt, EZ G pads) 

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #9,125 of 9,972
  Agree with @fourrobert13, the X3ii is on the bright side and most Grado's being bright does not make a good pairing. 

On this forum the X3ii has been described from slightly warm to neutral to bright 
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 15, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #9,126 of 9,972

On this forum the X3ii has been described from slightly warm to neutral to bright 
confused_face_2.gif

Yes, my impressions about the descriptions and reviews are that the X3ii is described as neutral to slightly warm, but I find it slightly bright. I guess it depends where you're coming from. I came from Sansa players, that are more on the warm side. It all turns down to your references.

Nov 15, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #9,127 of 9,972

The X3II is not bright. The reason some do find the X3II bright is because what they came from was either warm or rolled off. I came from a Cowon J3 and it was rolled off at the top so in comparison the X3II would sound bright. The X3II is not warm or harsh. It is fairly neutral. Headphones such ah the Grado 60e are on the bright side. When pairing with the X3II, the Grados overdo the top end and depending onthe source can sound overly bright and/or harsh. What you need to do is find a set of cans that do match well with a device that is neutral with no noticeable roll-off in the high end. Now if you want a player that would pair well with your Grados, the Cowon J3 would do well.

We did have this discussion and the consensus was that the X3II is not warm or bright or harsh and that unmodified Grados are not a good fit.

Nov 15, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #9,128 of 9,972

Yes, my impressions about the descriptions and reviews are that the X3ii is described as neutral to slightly warm, but I find it slightly bright. I guess it depends where you're coming from. I came from Sansa players, that are more on the warm side. It all turns down to your references.

With that I agree. Even the X1 seemed bright to me coming from a RB-ed Clip Zip.

Nov 15, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #9,129 of 9,972
Agree with @fourrobert13
, the X3ii is on the bright side and most Grado's being bright does not make a good pairing. 

I'm one that do mods to my Grados and with the mods they sound quite good with the X3ii.  I modded my SR-225i (rosewood cups, sorbothane, dynamat, Earzonk G pads), SR-225e (dynamat, sorbothane, felt, EZ G pads), SR-80i (RS style walnut wood cups, dynamat, sorbothane, 3 vent holes, felt, EZ G pads) 

Before I buy another set of cans is there any settings or setups on the X3II that can help with this brightness? Other than that I'm planning on getting a pair of Sennheiser Massdrop HD6XX or HD650s to pair better with this player.

Nov 15, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #9,130 of 9,972
Before I buy another set of cans is there any settings or setups on the X3II that can help with this brightness? Other than that I'm planning on getting a pair of Sennheiser Massdrop HD6XX or HD650s to pair better with this player.

I've never played with any of the setting on the X3ii, only the gain switch is set to high and that's it.  I would think that you could use the EQ to lower some of the highs but I've never tried so don't know what kind of results you will get. 

While the X3ii will drive the HD-650/6XX to very loud levels and it sounds quite good, the HD-650 will scale with better gear.  I actually like the older X3, it has a fuller sound with most of the headphones that I have, I would say it has better synergy with more headphones than the X3ii from my limited experiences so far.  The old X3 with my RS2e, HD-700 and new Ypsilon build are really good pairings.

Nov 15, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #9,131 of 9,972
@Grado Diesel
I'd try eqing it.  However, the eq is limited and doesn't work at higher sampling rates and for the life of me I can't remember where the cutoff is.  Settings wise, I don't think anything will help with it.  The X3II should be able to drive the HD650, but you'd need to use high gain and depending on your needs an amp may be required to get the volume where you like it.

Nov 15, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #9,132 of 9,972
  I'd try eqing it.  However, the eq is limited and doesn't work at higher sampling rates and for the life of me I can't remember where the cutoff is.  Settings wise, I don't think anything will help with it.  The X3II should be able to drive the HD650, but you'd need to use high gain and depending on your needs an amp may be required to get the volume where you like it.

Just tried the EQ function, dropped the 8K -1db and the 16k -2db, takes all the edge off my 225e, a little boring since the sparkle is gone but it might help with your 80e.

I only have 320cbr MP3 on my DAPs since I can't tell the difference between it and anything better, WAV and FLAC only on media server.

With my HD-650 the above changes really make the sound dull and life less.  If anything I would boost the 8k and 16K for the HD-650.

Nov 15, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #9,133 of 9,972
I would agree that the X3II is not bright, just not rolled off as stated previously.  I had the original X3; it was somewhat rolled off comparatively.   As noted the older X3 did have a tad more power.

Other than changing tips or headphones or adding EQ (on lower res tracks as previously noted)  there is always the option of selling it.   Fortunately the unit is well known and should sell quickly.

Many chipsets have different sound signatures.  I have the Shanling M2 also; it has a similar sound to the X3II but possibly even more treble forward.  I like to think or it as more open sounding.   My reason for mentioning the Shanling is that I think it has the same base chip set.

Nov 15, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #9,134 of 9,972

Your EQ will require modification, but that's the only way unless you want to change your ear tips to comply's or any other kind of foams, but I am not one to recommend that since I love the richness of clarity good silicones provide.  But the EQ is effective and you can basically customize any of the available options.  If augmenting the EQ doesn't work, it sounds like it is simply a bright combination and time to get a new DAP or set of earphones.

All in all the sound of the x3ii is neutral and simply not warm like many other available sources.  I used an ipod nano in my early days and I use my MacBook air and they are "warm" sources, but I miss out on the naturalness that neutrality of the x3ii provides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back