The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Oct 24, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #9,016 of 9,972
  Hi, gabri313
You are changing the EQ when playing music in X3II but the sound without change, right? 
If the sampling rate of the songs is higher than 48kHz, we have set the equalizer to invalid since EQ adjustment for high sampling rate songs would sometimes cause system delay.

I'm changing the EQ while playing regular FLAC and mp3: I can actually tell there are differences while playing mp3 but FLAC not at all.

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #9,020 of 9,972
  I don't use the eq personally, but it doesn't make any sense why it won't work for you.  What fw are you running?

I don't know if it signifies the end of the X3II or not but I've been seeing a lot of very good prices on the X3II like $169 USD. At that price I might pick up another X3II as a spare. One for home and one for at work. Even if this is the stores clearing out stock it's hard to go wrong with the X3II for that price.

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #9,021 of 9,972

I don't know if it signifies the end of the X3II or not but I've been seeing a lot of very good prices on the X3II like $169 USD. At that price I might pick up another X3II as a spare. One for home and one for at work.

It's actually been $169 for a few months now.  My hopes aren't very high that an updated X3 will be any better than the new X1 in terms of the complaints about the new X1.  With that said, the X3II is great and you can't go wrong with one IMO or the X5II for that matter.  Very solid DAPS IMO as is the original X1.  I'd venture to say it'll be next year before we see an updated X3II or X5II or maybe even later depending on how the new X1II turns out because if they can't fix it, I see no reason for them to pursue anything new using that system unless they want to go out of business.  They need to realize people just aren't putting up with release now fix later BS they (and others) keep doing.

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #9,022 of 9,972
  It's actually been $169 for a few months now.  My hopes aren't very high that an updated X3 will be any better than the new X1 in terms of the complaints about the new X1.  With that said, the X3II is great and you can't go wrong with one IMO or the X5II for that matter.  Very solid DAPS IMO as is the original X1.  I'd venture to say it'll be next year before we see an updated X3II or X5II or maybe even later depending on how the new X1II turns out because if they can't fix it, I see no reason for them to pursue anything new using that system unless they want to go out of business.  They need to realize people just aren't putting up with release now fix later BS they (and others) keep doing.

I agree that it probably won't be until next year before we see a new X3II and X5II and probably not before the summer next year..maybe even the fall. Yes a new X3 would have to be much better than what I've seen from the X1II and I don't think the lag that the X1II has can be fixed with a firmware update...that must be due to the processor. The wheel might be improved and the bluetooth with fw updates but I think it's not going to get much better than it is now. I like FiiO so I hope they bounce back from the release of the X1II that as far as I'm concerned can only be considered a flop. The X1II feels well made and the sound is good but that wasn't enough to make me want to keep it...too many other problems.

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #9,023 of 9,972

I agree that it probably won't be until next year before we see a new X3II and X5II and probably not before the summer next year..maybe even the fall. Yes a new X3 would have to be much better than what I've seen from the X1II and I don't think the lag that the X1II has can be fixed with a firmware update...that must be due to the processor. The wheel might be improved and the bluetooth with fw updates but I think it's not going to get much better than it is now. I like FiiO so I hope they bounce back from the release of the X1II that as far as I'm concerned can only be considered a flop. The X1II feels well made and the sound is good but that wasn't enough to make me want to keep it...too many other problems.

As consumers, we all want something new and all of that stuff.  I've got more DAPs than I probably need so I'm not in any hurry to upgrade and I'm very satisfied with them all.  I think that FiiO should concentrate on fixing the X1II before they even think about releasing anything else.  They might even put some effort into the X7 from what I've read about it, but I haven't followed that device for a while now so maybe its problems have been addressed?  Either way, if the X1II turns out to be a dud, then I will most likely pass on any upgraded X3 or X5 if they see the light of day.  FW can only fix so much.  The rest is limitations of the hardware so I'm eagerly waiting to see what FiiO can do with the X1II.  It says a lot when Brooko publicly said he wasn't happy with the X1II because he just doesn't normally say something like that about a product on here. 

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #9,024 of 9,972
  As consumers, we all want something new and all of that stuff.  I've got more DAPs than I probably need so I'm not in any hurry to upgrade and I'm very satisfied with them all.  I think that FiiO should concentrate on fixing the X1II before they even think about releasing anything else.  They might even put some effort into the X7 from what I've read about it, but I haven't followed that device for a while now so maybe its problems have been addressed?  Either way, if the X1II turns out to be a dud, then I will most likely pass on any upgraded X3 or X5 if they see the light of day.  FW can only fix so much.  The rest is limitations of the hardware so I'm eagerly waiting to see what FiiO can do with the X1II.  It says a lot when Brooko publicly said he wasn't happy with the X1II because he just doesn't normally say something like that about a product on here. 

I agree with everything you said. If and when FiiO releases a new X3 I won't be so quick to pick one up like I did the X1II (although I did get my money back). I was somewhat surprised when I read Brooko's comments on the X1II but he is right. I don't have very many DAPs anymore...I sold what I wasn't using and right now just have the X3II and because I can't really find anything better than the X3II (tried the Hidizs AP100, Shanling m2 most recently) and preferred the X3II over both but I don't really want to go as expensive as the X5II so I figure why not get another? It's good quality and that money is burning a hole in my pocket :)

Oct 25, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #9,025 of 9,972

I agree with everything you said. If and when FiiO releases a new X3 I won't be so quick to pick one up like I did the X1II (although I did get my money back). I was somewhat surprised when I read Brooko's comments on the X1II but he is right. I don't have very many DAPs anymore...I sold what I wasn't using and right now just have the X3II and because I can't really find anything better than the X3II (tried the Hidizs AP100, Shanling m2 most recently) and preferred the X3II over both but I don't really want to go as expensive as the X5II so I figure why not get another? It's good quality and that money is burning a hole in my pocket :)

You can't go wrong with the X3II. The original X1 is like $79 now.  Might be another option for you.

Oct 25, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #9,026 of 9,972
  You can't go wrong with the X3II. The original X1 is like $79 now.  Might be another option for you.

Yeah the original X1 is a good DAP..I could get that one but probably I'll go for another X3II...the black one looks good. I noticed on another thread for the Hidizs AP60 which is a budget priced DAP similar in size to the FiiO M3 how much trouble people were having with that player...another unfinished product released to the public too soon.

Oct 25, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #9,027 of 9,972

Do you have a link to Brooko's comments on the X1II?

Oct 28, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #9,029 of 9,972
  If anyone's still interested, I've updated my high-contrast, bold font variation on the 2.0 firmware. I've removed the black-on-white theme and "greenified" some more controls. The 3 odd numbered themes are identical and the 3 even numbered themes are identical. The odd ones show the (ugly clipped) album art, the even ones cover it.

Unlike the official big font version, the font is bold instead of merely bigger, and the playtime numbers at the bottom are larger too, but probably the high contrast colours help most to make it much more readable to me.

To install: copy the file X3II.fw under folder 2.0 to the root folder of the X3II's memory card, and restart it while pressing the button northwest of the scrolling wheel.

Stein

Stein, it is certainly green!  I tried it out, not quite my cup of tea..  But thanks for your continued work!

Oct 29, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #9,030 of 9,972
Has anyone tried using the X3 ii's coax output into an external dac>amp? I'm looking for an inexpensive high quality source but I want to bypass the dac and amp as I'll be using a Schitt Modi Multibit dac and Ragnarok amp.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back