The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Oct 18, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #8,986 of 9,972
I think maybe the decay is faster on X3ii. Songs that phase in and out would sound very differently in both DAP.
Or it could be i was listening to conversion artifact all the time, and X3ii reduces all the artifact(you know the dual crystal oscillator) ..therefore sounded different. Or maybe i need to go see a Otolaryngologist...

Oct 19, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #8,988 of 9,972
  Didn't get a reply last time so I'm gonna try asking again.

Has anybody got the X3 II working as a DAC with an Android device with USB-C? I tried about 5 different USB-C to micro USB cables and adapters, and the X3 didn't recognise any of them. The best I could get was charging, but the X3 never went into DAC mode. Using FW1.4.

Would like to know this also, cos the sound out of my phone sounds bad, and would like to use the x3 as an external DAC. Thanks! :)

Oct 19, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #8,989 of 9,972
  I don't believe the X3II will transmit a signal out the micro usb port so I don't believe you can use it with your DAC if it only has a USB input.  To my knowledge, the only way the X3II can be used as a transport is through the LO port and you would set the port in the settings menu.  

I dug out my X3II today. Wow it's such a pleasure to use a DAP with a snappy UI as opposed to the new X1. The lag is pretty significant on the X1 II and everything is instantaneous on the X3II. Such a pleasure to use!

Oct 19, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #8,991 of 9,972
  You can't go wrong with the X3II or X5II.  

No definitely not. I've been enjoying my X3II all morning here at work and selecting songs is easy and quick and there is no lag. It works as it should. What the heck did I buy the X1 II for?? Oh well, live and learn. I wonder if a firmware update could make the X1 II quicker and get rid of the lag or is the new operating system what it is? I don't know enough about that stuff to know for sure. Hopefully they do something to improve it. You were right man! I should have waited.
frown.gif

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #8,992 of 9,972

No definitely not. I've been enjoying my X3II all morning here at work and selecting songs is easy and quick and there is no lag. It works as it should. What the heck did I buy the X1 II for?? Oh well, live and learn. I wonder if a firmware update could make the X1 II quicker and get rid of the lag or is the new operating system what it is? I don't know enough about that stuff to know for sure. Hopefully they do something to improve it. You were right man! I should have waited.
frown.gif

You've only had it like a week, can't you return it?  I couldn't say if a fw update could improve the lag or not.  So many variables involved.  RAM, chip set limitations, etc. and only someone with that knowledge could answer this.  I'd like to see it get sorted out, but I'm in no hurry, nor do I really need another DAP.  I'd return it if you can and revisit it after some of the issues are sorted out.  Didn't you just buy a Shanling?  I thought I saw you over there too.

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #8,993 of 9,972
  You've only had it like a week, can't you return it?  I couldn't say if a fw update could improve the lag or not.  So many variables involved.  RAM, chip set limitations, etc. and only someone with that knowledge could answer this.  I'd like to see it get sorted out, but I'm in no hurry, nor do I really need another DAP.  I'd return it if you can and revisit it after some of the issues are sorted out.  Didn't you just buy a Shanling?  I thought I saw you over there too.

I could return it...I have the boxes and everything. I should do that. I did buy a Shanling but it wasn't all that. It didn't sound better than the X3II and I found the scroll wheel on on it too small and awkward so I returned it...all the way back to China. The X3II feels better built the Shanling M3 too.

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #8,994 of 9,972

I could return it...I have the boxes and everything. I should do that. I did buy a Shanling but it wasn't all that. It didn't sound better than the X3II and I found the scroll wheel on on it too small and awkward so I returned it...all the way back to China. The X3II feels better built the Shanling M3 too.

I almost went with the Shanling when I bought my X5II, but after reading your thoughts on it I think I made the right choice.  If it was me, I'd return it just because you really don't know if the issues can be fixed.  Then you're not out any cash if they can't.  Like I said, revisit it after a few fw updates because it might be better or worse by then and you can make a more informed decision on it.  If you're not happy with it as it is, it's just going to sit and collect dust so you might as well return it IMO. 

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #8,995 of 9,972
  I almost went with the Shanling when I bought my X5II, but after reading your thoughts on it I think I made the right choice.  If it was me, I'd return it just because you really don't know if the issues can be fixed.  Then you're not out any cash if they can't.  Like I said, revisit it after a few fw updates because it might be better or worse by then and you can make a more informed decision on it.  If you're not happy with it as it is, it's just going to sit and collect dust so you might as well return it IMO. 

Yeah, you're right. I was thinking of returning it but thought I'd hold on to it for awhile but what for? I don't know if it's problems will ever be worked out or not. I gave it a good listen and there are some things I like about it and some I don't but overall I'm not happy with it so why hang on to it?

Oct 19, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #8,996 of 9,972
If anyone's still interested, I've updated my high-contrast, bold font variation on the 2.0 firmware. I've removed the black-on-white theme and "greenified" some more controls. The 3 odd numbered themes are identical and the 3 even numbered themes are identical. The odd ones show the (ugly clipped) album art, the even ones cover it.

Unlike the official big font version, the font is bold instead of merely bigger, and the playtime numbers at the bottom are larger too, but probably the high contrast colours help most to make it much more readable to me.

To install: copy the file X3II.fw under folder 2.0 to the root folder of the X3II's memory card, and restart it while pressing the button northwest of the scrolling wheel.

Stein

Oct 19, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #8,997 of 9,972
  If anyone's still interested, I've updated my high-contrast, bold font variation on the 2.0 firmware. I've removed the black-on-white theme and "greenified" some more controls. The 3 odd numbered themes are identical and the 3 even numbered themes are identical. The odd ones show the (ugly clipped) album art, the even ones cover it.

Unlike the official big font version, the font is bold instead of merely bigger, and the playtime numbers at the bottom are larger too, but probably the high contrast colours help most to make it much more readable to me.

To install: copy the file X3II.fw under folder 2.0 to the root folder of the X3II's memory card, and restart it while pressing the button northwest of the scrolling wheel.

Stein

Interesting, I didn't people could modify firmware. How stable is it? Is it identical to stock, with only font adjustments?

Oct 20, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #8,998 of 9,972
  Interesting, I didn't people could modify firmware. How stable is it? Is it identical to stock, with only font adjustments?

yes, identical to stock but with changed graphics (icons, colors etc.) and fonts. it's fairly easy to try new firmware so i tested a few. got back to stock eventually as nothing else impressed me enough, but i didn't notice any stability or other kind of issues while using custom.

Oct 20, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #8,999 of 9,972
The worst that happened to me while experimenting (so not with versions I and other people share) is a blank or unreadable screen. To recover, you just hook up the X3II to USB or slot in the memory card, copy a different or the original firmware, and boot with update again.

Would it be possible to craft a firmware update with seriously malicious contents? I seriously doubt it. You could perhaps cook up image files that crash the user interface, like the cross-site banner attacks on the web a decade ago. But image rendering libraries have smartened up, and even then, a crash isn't worse than a blank screen (like displaying everything in the same colour). Rebooting the device is always possible with the hardware reset button, writing a good firmware file onto the memory card externally is always possible, and the firmware update process starts before any most of the customisation gets on stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back