The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Aug 21, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #8,746 of 9,972
In addition to the X3ii, I have the Fiio E17K amp. I configured the X3ii's "Multifunctional outputs" to "Coax out", and I selected "COX" as the input on the E17K. I used the little connector that came with the E17K to connect the two devices via the COAX OUT on the X3ii and the COAX IN on the E17K. But when I tried playing some music, I got no sound whatsoever. The connector I used is the straight one pictured below (the one beside the "rubber bands").

What am I doing wrong?

Aug 21, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #8,747 of 9,972
  In addition to the X3ii, I have the Fiio E17K amp. I configured the X3ii's "Multifunctional outputs" to "Coax out", and I selected "COX" as the input on the E17K. I used the little connector that came with the E17K to connect the two devices via the COAX OUT on the X3ii and the COAX IN on the E17K. But when I tried playing some music, I got no sound whatsoever. The connector I used is the straight one pictured below (the one beside the "rubber bands").

What am I doing wrong?

the right angled cable beside the rubber bands are just analog 3.5mm cables.  You would use them by setting the X3ii to output line out and then plugging the other end to the line in/line out port of the E17K.  The short cable next to the right angled cable is a coax cable adapter, but you'd need coax on both ends to connect coax to coax.

Aug 21, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #8,748 of 9,972
I'd go with the 80 ohm version if I were you.  I'd say the X3's rating is fairly accurate in terms of what it can drive.  Of course there is always the option of pairing it with an amp if you really wanted the 250 ohm Beyer.

You shouldn't have to upgrade one by one, go straight to 2.0.  There's no difference when it comes to flashing firmware.

I would try another microSD card if I were you.  Fiio is pretty finicky with some MicroSD cards when it comes to flashing firmware
s

Firmware 1.4 is stable and supports otg so that could be an option

Aug 21, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #8,750 of 9,972
the right angled cable beside the rubber bands are just analog 3.5mm cables.  You would use them by setting the X3ii to output line out and then plugging the other end to the line in/line out port of the E17K.  The short cable next to the right angled cable is a coax cable adapter, but you'd need coax on both ends to connect coax to coax.

The X1 has only one port where you have to change the setting to Line Out. X3II has headphone out and Line Out ports separately.

Aug 21, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #8,751 of 9,972
s

Firmware 1.4 is stable and supports otg so that could be an option

yea, if you didn't care about any of the stuff that came with 2.0, 1.4 would be ok.  Either way, my point was that there's no reason to flash step by step with each firmware.

The X1 has only one port where you have to change the setting to Line Out. X3II has headphone out and Line Out ports separately.

yes, I'm aware of that.  I'm not sure how this is relevant to what I said though.  I did say you'd have to set the X3ii output to line out, and that's still true because on the X3ii, you have to choose between line out or coax out (they share the same port).

Aug 21, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #8,752 of 9,972
yea, if you didn't care about any of the stuff that came with 2.0, 1.4 would be ok.  Either way, my point was that there's no reason to flash step by step with each firmware.

yes, I'm aware of that.  I'm not sure how this is relevant to what I said though.  I did say you'd have to set the X3ii output to line out, and that's still true because on the X3ii, you have to choose between line out or coax out (they share the same port).

Didn't realize it could be switched to Coax.

Aug 21, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #8,754 of 9,972
  has someone compared the sound quality of the iPhone 6s versus the Fiio X3 ii (MP3 320 kbps)? Thanks

There are two avenues to explore in approaching this question.  First, the question of power and whether the unit can handle difficult to drive headphones.   Here the X3 wins, but for some even that will not be enough.

The second is the DAC itself.   In my car I sometimes play "the Deadpod" which is MP3 at 192.   I can hear a difference when using the DAC in the phone vs. outputting to the X3 as a DAC.   There is much better definition and low end in particular using the X3. 

In and of itself, especially with efficient headphones, the iphone 6 series is pretty darn good.  Its just that some specialized units take the hearing experience a bit further.  Your mileage is sure to vary.

Most of the time I play FLAC files (or ALAC on the phone).    Again, the iphone is not bad per se; it just is outgunned by the X3II.

Aug 22, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #8,755 of 9,972
  has someone compared the sound quality of the iPhone 6s versus the Fiio X3 ii (MP3 320 kbps)? Thanks

You obviously did not read the entire thread or you would not be asking your question. The answer is any music file played on an iPhone 6s (I have one) wil not sound as good as the same music file played on the X3II. The X3II has some issues with sometimes having a rough top end where the X3II isn't rough. The X3II has better soundstage, smoother sound, more neutral sound, better bass, better mids, and better highs. There is nothing about the 6s that's better.

Aug 22, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #8,756 of 9,972
You obviously did not read the entire thread or you would not be asking your question. The answer is any music file played on an iPhone 6s (I have one) wil not sound as good as the same music file played on the X3II. The X3II has some issues with sometimes having a rough top end where the X3II isn't rough. The X3II has better soundstage, smoother sound, more neutral sound, better bass, better mids, and better highs. There is nothing about the 6s that's better.

You just have wish to get phone calls from X3II - 6s is a phone ... X3II is a DAP

:wink:

Aug 22, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #8,758 of 9,972
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 22, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #8,759 of 9,972
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 25, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #8,760 of 9,972
New owner of X3 2nd gen. First and easy to hear impressions of X3 vs. Sansa Clip Zip using my SE535: X3 is significantly more transparent, clear, sweet, and bright with black background (less noise).

This is really nice when I'm on a bike ride and the wind is blowing against my earphones. I can hear details of songs that I couldn't hear before. The Clip might be warmer and thicker but carries with it some noise and congestion. Before, I thought my Clip had a nice, even flat sound, but was a bit weak in output maybe. I don't think the Clip is necessarily "weak" anymore, using my SE535, but the X3 does seem to have a stronger sound somehow.

The form factor is somehow smaller than I was thinking it would be, even though I knew the measurements. Nice! Size well dialed in for holding in your hand, etc...

I loaded up all my FLAC and MP3s into two folders on a 128GB card. I then applied Replay Gain tags to each album/song using Winamp. I then added media to library and started creating M3U play lists that I exported to the card. Easy, same process I used with my Clip. I was able to dial in my comfortable, long time listening volume number after comparing several different songs, all with Replay Gain: Clip 48 = X3 22.

Tip: If you wear a bike shirt with the pockets in the back, you can wear your IEMs over ear and let the cord hang down your back to your X3 in your back pocket. Not quite as convenient as clipping my Clip to the front of my shirt, but it works and it doesn't feel too heavy and I can still access it.

Next: I can't read the X3 screen outside. It's really bad. A big part of this is because I got old and can't read small fonts, it's not just the color schemes. I had Rockbox on my Clip with a black background/giant white font. That was awesome. Gonna look at the X3 large text options next. The included "Themes" aren't getting it done for me.

Other thoughts: Is the X3 DAC too bright and maybe "thin" in order to get that excellent clarity? I might prefer a warmer, fatter, heavier sound. Music is mostly metal/hard/progressive rock. My previous favorite DAC in my iBasso D1 was AD8397 which had a warmer sound. Need to compare my D1 sound next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back