The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jul 3, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #8,476 of 9,972
  As long as they're running the most current FW, I don't see why they wouldn't.  My X3II running FW 1.4 has no issues with the Sandisk 200 gig card.  It'll be a year or better before the price comes down to something more reasonable for me to pick one up.

I've had some cameras that were a year or so old and they didn't take the latest higher capacity memory, this was a few years back so maybe they design devices without any max memory limitations now.  When I think about it, I really don't need 256GB of storage, 64GB is more than enough since I only use 320 Mp3 with portable devices since trying to get the best sound while out and about really doesn't make much sense.

Jul 3, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #8,478 of 9,972
Hi everybody!

If someone uses x3 2nd as Android DAC - could you please advise if X3 2nd gen charges from the phone? I have X3 1st gen and it drains my phone battery in a couple of hours. I wonder if 2nd generation does the same or may be there is an option to turn charging off.

Jul 3, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #8,479 of 9,972
I don't know of this has been mentioned before, but regarding external playlists I've always read from Fiio the following: "save the playlist as a M3U8 file in the root directory of the SD card".

I saved some external playlists in subfolders today and they work perfectly.
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #8,480 of 9,972
  I don't know of this has been mentioned before, but regarding external playlists I've always read from Fiio the following: "save the playlist as a M3U8 file in the root directory of the SD card".

I saved some external playlists in subfolders today and they work perfectly.
biggrin.gif

I think they said this because the paths in the playlist file are relative to the playlist file itself.  If you had built the playlist according to their guide, the path written to the file would be the path relative to the root.  So if you place the playlist file in the subfolder, you would have to revise the path or move the source to the same subfolder.

Jul 4, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #8,481 of 9,972
  Hi everybody!

If someone uses x3 2nd as Android DAC - could you please advise if X3 2nd gen charges from the phone? I have X3 1st gen and it drains my phone battery in a couple of hours. I wonder if 2nd generation does the same or may be there is an option to turn charging off.

We are afraid that the X3 2nd gen will still charge from the phone and it cannot be turned off. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 5, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #8,483 of 9,972
With regard to hi capacity drives 200gb works fine with firmware 1.4

With regard to iPhone and the apple cck you may also need a usb splitter that strips the power draw info. If you are in the right phase of the moon it will work in a non reliable fashion. Been there done that

Jul 6, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #8,485 of 9,972
A FEW FRONTLINE THOUGHTS ON OWNING A NEW X3ii

I've now had a few weeks to play intensively with my wonderful new X3ii. Coming to my first 'real' DAP from older dedicated MP3 players and a few fancy smartphones, I've reached a few conclusions which others might find either interesting or infuriating:

THE GOOD:
* Aesthetically, the X3ii is absolutely 'a thing of beauty' as the saying goes. The black model I ordered is a joy to hold and appreciate, with its aluminium body and excellent build quality. Only a tiny bit of play (rattle) from the volume buttons on the side of my model detracts very very slightly from the feeling of a really well-designed and well-built product.
* The X3ii delivers truly astonishing audio quality, especially when you consider its price, blowing lesser players and smartphones out of the water.
* FW2.0 has turned it into a fully-finished product, ironing out some of the earlier shortcomings.

THE BAD:
* For those of us who enjoy album art, it's really sad that there's just no way to see an entire cover on the display. I've tried all the suggested workarounds, no luck.
* Even the simplest of smartphones and music apps can display an album's total time -- unlike the X3. It would also be nice if the track details screen could include the Bitrate and the album's Year, which is of interest to some of the more anal among us.
* The ability to batch-select and then delete several tracks at once is lacking. Heck, even decade-old Nokias can do that!
* On a sleekly all-black body, could FiiO not have sourced black screws instead of the only two silver spots on the entire device? (Yes I know, mea culpa, this is nit-picking to the nth degree).
* The original silicone case supplied and then discontinued was much nicer than the horrible plastic thing you get now.
* Own up: has ANYONE actually desecrated their beautiful X3 with the supplied body stickers (and let's not even mention the cloying Stars-and-Stripes ones....)? What were FiiO smoking?

THE UGLY:
* There's no way to sugar this pill: the display is simply abysmal.
* Using the device outdoors in bright daylight is like learning how a visually-impaired person copes, and even the customised firmware tweaks shared by this forum's public-spirited enthusiasts cannot fully make up for the display's overall shortcomings. It really is the X3's Achilles heel. Sony for one, does it so much better in this price category with its stunning displays on the NWZ-A15 series. And yes, I know, we love the X3 primarily for its ear-massaging sound. But still.
------------

Your mileage may of course vary, and I'm donning my bulletproof vest as we speak....

Jul 6, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #8,486 of 9,972
* There's no way to sugar this pill: the display is simply abysmal.

I contest that: the display is fine, the graphics in the standard firmware are abysmal. You can customise those by cooking your own firmware, or install one of many firmwares shared in this forum. Searching here is hard though... 15 minutes later, here is the list of the ones I tried:

1. arielp
  2. javre76 
  3. mine

Jul 6, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #8,487 of 9,972
I for one don't really care about the display, I just put music playing and put the X3ii in my pocket.

Jul 6, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #8,490 of 9,972
  You know what's an even bigger waste of time and space than complaining about the screen? The follow up posts mocking the person's opinion.

Not that it matters, but I'll respond.  I was merely joking with the guy based on his last comment about putting on his vest and getting ready for the comments to come.  Also joking because the screen topic was just discussed not to long ago.  Apparently, you took it more seriously than anyone else did and that's fine.  If you read back a page or two, you would see this.  Either way, have a good day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back