The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jun 30, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #8,461 of 9,972
  Awesome thanks for the feedback, definitely very helpful. If there isn't a huge SQ difference probably something you're not as likely to perceive when out and busy anyway then can sit back with the Mojo and enjoy a little more. Gone a bit off from what I was originally looking at but think I've settled on a set of custom Noble K10s, which became even more enticing with the sale on friday. Assuming there should be no problems with the X3ii driving these?

Already have the Mojo just sitting around I like it, just been trying to figure out the best way to make use of it now.

You bet. Regardless of what I stated in my previous post, it is the Mojo that brings the best out of my IEMs and I love the device. And I have no doubt that it will do the same with your IEM too, as the K10s are pretty easy to drive as well and, I have read that K10s scale really well with better sources. Also Fiio X3ii+Mojo stack is not too big for indoor use.

Jun 30, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #8,462 of 9,972
Yea I'm looking forward to being able to hear it all together. However as I have decided to go with custom K10's I'm gonna have to wait a while. So in the meantime I'll try and see if I can pick up an X3ii on sale somewhere. I know this may be the wrong thread for this but any comparison between the X3ii and X5ii?

Jun 30, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #8,463 of 9,972
X5ii has a better screen. Has 2 card slots. But the overall UI responsiveness was not as fast as the X3ii. The difference in SQ again with easy to drive IEMs was not huge, but again perceivable. Upon listening closely, I was able to pick out some of the differences. It had a bit more 3D presentation and was a bit more dynamic than the X3ii. Listening to X5ii for a while and switching back to X3ii, felt like the X3ii was slightly dull. But only by a little bit. Some of us here made the move and got the X5ii but we returned it and stayed with the X3ii, because the X3ii had better ergonomics due to rounded edges, lighter weight and small size and the sound difference was not compelling enough.

Also back then X5ii was $350 a piece. Now it sells for $300. If you have a huge music library and for the most part you will be using it as a standalone player and not as a transport for Mojo, you can go with the X5ii. But if you don't need 2 card slots and will be pairing it with the Mojo most of the time, then X3ii is a more practical option. I say practical because of size, weight and cost.

Jun 30, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #8,464 of 9,972
For some reason I was actually thinking the X3ii had 2 SD card slots as well, but it doesn't. Not an overly big issue yet as library isn't massive. I do a lot of streaming through Tidal. Would be nice to get a player that can stream Tidal but it seems that all the ones that do go up in price to close to $1000 aud and from ones I've seen so far the lower end of those ones lose the digital out so would mean no Mojo. and I'm not really looking at spending that much either 

The lighter weight of the X3ii I feel would be of more benefit to me as I don't like having anything heavy in my pockets. At this stage I'll most likely be using it more at home as a transport anyway so seems like not really worth upgrading to the X5ii 

Jun 30, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #8,466 of 9,972
Jun 30, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #8,467 of 9,972
That stupid moment where to type a reply don't post it and close the page...

I did have a look at the X7 but as Ein said they run about $950 here which is a bit more than I was looking to spend. My other option would be to sell the Mojo and use the money for a better DAP but I don't know if I want to do that, Mojo seems like it will give better sound and more versatility if I want to use it in another system. Might be better off just getting OTG cable for my phone on those times I want Tidal. 

Which in the end brings us back to seems like X3ii is the way to go for the price and functionality

Jul 2, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #8,469 of 9,972
Can't wait to see how this works!  Also can't wait for the price to come down...lol

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G7L03OS/ref=s9_wsim_gw_g147_i3_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=ZXCFQHZYZ2KR7YYY7JS9&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=6aad23bd-3035-4a40-b691-0eefb1a18396&pf_rd_i=desktop

Jul 2, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #8,470 of 9,972
  Can't wait to see how this works!  Also can't wait for the price to come down...lol

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G7L03OS/ref=s9_wsim_gw_g147_i3_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=ZXCFQHZYZ2KR7YYY7JS9&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=6aad23bd-3035-4a40-b691-0eefb1a18396&pf_rd_i=desktop

That is some seriously over priced memory ATM, but will older devices recognize it?

Jul 2, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #8,471 of 9,972
Hello all. I'm trying to decide whether I should buy a Fiio X3ii (while it's discounted for the July 4th sale) or stick with my Moto X Pure and invest the money into a portable DAC/amp. What would get me more mileage in terms of SQ for the price, and what are the general reasons why someone would pick one option over the other? I also have a Sansa Clip+ that I've stopped using, so how would you compare the Clip+ to the X3?

I'm currently using a Musicmaker TK12, which doesn't seem like it needs much amping, but I would like to try out a DAP with a decent DAC. My files are usually 320-mp3 and FLAC files, so I would also like to know whether I'd get much of an improvement over my minimalist Moto X -> TK12 setup. If you think it wise for me to buy a DAC/amp, which would you suggest?

Thanks a bunch.

Jul 2, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #8,472 of 9,972
  Hello all. I'm trying to decide whether I should buy a Fiio X3ii (while it's discounted for the July 4th sale) or stick with my Moto X Pure and invest the money into a portable DAC/amp. What would get me more mileage in terms of SQ for the price, and what are the general reasons why someone would pick one option over the other? I also have a Sansa Clip+ that I've stopped using, so how would you compare the Clip+ to the X3?

I'm currently using a Musicmaker TK12, which doesn't seem like it needs much amping, but I would like to try out a DAP with a decent DAC. My files are usually 320-mp3 and FLAC files, so I would also like to know whether I'd get much of an improvement over my minimalist Moto X -> TK12 setup. If you think it wise for me to buy a DAC/amp, which would you suggest?

Thanks a bunch.

It depends, for me I don't like to carry around too much stuff so for every day use my phone (Galaxy S5) is all I carry around but since I normally don't use IEM or headphones when I'm just going out the S5 is not a problem.

The only time I use headphones when out is for travel so having the X3ii or original X3 is my preferred device along with either Momentum on-ear, QC-15, V-Moda XS or MDR-7506 headphone.  Since all 4 headphones are fairly easy to drive the X3ii/X3 work great.

I only use 320cbr files on my X3ii, X3, and X1since anything more is a waste of space IMO, with the portable gear I can't tell the difference between FLAC, WAV or 320 MP3, others might be able to so its an individual thing.

Jul 3, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #8,473 of 9,972

Thanks a bunch.

I had the 12, now I have the 13. Didn't have the X3II when I had the 12s but with the X3II I don't even need the E12. I have an LG v10 which I only listen to for volume sensitivity when I get new gear and its good with the 13 but I feel a quality DAP like the X3II is worth it plus you won't have to kill your phone battery if it's your main phone and not just an old one you use as a DAP

Jul 3, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #8,474 of 9,972

Thanks a bunch.

I'd say its more of a convenience than improvement in Sound Quality at this level. May be this will help:

If you will be streaming music a lot, and don't mind stacking a device with your phone, then get a DAC. One thing to keep in mind when stacking a DAC with a phone is RF and EMI noise due to phone's cellular network and Wi-Fi. (Few DAC Options: Audioquest Dragonfly Red, Oppo HA-2)

If you won't be streaming much and like dedicated music buttons and don't like to be interrupted with call, text and email notifications then get the X3ii.

Jul 3, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #8,475 of 9,972
  That is some seriously over priced memory ATM, but will older devices recognize it?

As long as they're running the most current FW, I don't see why they wouldn't.  My X3II running FW 1.4 has no issues with the Sandisk 200 gig card.  It'll be a year or better before the price comes down to something more reasonable for me to pick one up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back