The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jun 7, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #8,236 of 9,972
My X3II got stuck while (manually) updating the media library, in FW 2.0. Hard reset needed. Going back to 1.6 or 1.4 didn't help.

How can we find the track in our collection that breaks the player?
  1. Using mp3diags, as advised on the FiiO forum, was interesting but didn't help.
  2. Clearing the card and piecewise adding files again seemed too much work
  3. Excluding folders by prepending a dot doesn't work. Any other ideas?
  4. Excluding tracks by renaming the filename extension works relatively fast (if you know how to use have a multi-rename tool)

So I found the culprit was an old DRM-less WMA file. I recently added ReplayGain tags to everything and apparently it backlashed on this file only. Just removed the replaygain tags and the player is happy. The file played fine with tags on PC, and the tag values look reasonable. I have one other DRM-less WMA file, and it carries the replaygain tags gracefully, like all other types of files. The player freezes on those replaygain tags in that file even in 1.4, long before replaygain support was exposed,

Jun 7, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #8,237 of 9,972
  My X3II got stuck while (manually) updating the media library, in FW 2.0. Hard reset needed. Going back to 1.6 or 1.4 didn't help.

How can we find the track in our collection that breaks the player?
  1. Using mp3diags, as advised on the FiiO forum, was interesting but didn't help.
  2. Clearing the card and piecewise adding files again seemed too much work
  3. Excluding folders by prepending a dot doesn't work. Any other ideas?
  4. Excluding tracks by renaming the filename extension works relatively fast (if you know how to use have a multi-rename tool)

So I found the culprit was an old DRM-less WMA file. I recently added ReplayGain tags to everything and apparently it backlashed on this file only. Just removed the replaygain tags and the player is happy. The file played fine with tags on PC, and the tag values look reasonable. I have one other DRM-less WMA file, and it carries the replaygain tags gracefully, like all other types of files. The player freezes on those replaygain tags in that file even in 1.4, long before replaygain support was exposed,

For once, I'm not the only person this happened to.  However, I could revert back to 1.6 and 1.4 without any issues.  Hopefully you get it worked out or contact FiiO and see what they can do.  Good luck.

Jun 7, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #8,238 of 9,972
Please forgive me if this is not the place to ask, what what are your thoughts about these 3 headphones paired with the X3 II:

1) Shure SE215 (I currently own this one, I like them very much, but I want to explore the following headphones).

2) Dunu Titan 5.

3) Audio-Technica ATH-CKR10 SonicPro.

I want a fathers day gift from me to myself :D

Jun 7, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #8,239 of 9,972

Is there any DAP that will actually do that?  Personally I find it incomprehensible that anyone would expect that as a feature .......

What I meant was that I could shuffle all my albums everytime I switch a track. I'm talking about an entire playlist shuffle.. My iPod Nano could do that.. I could shuffle all songs from every album.. not just shuffling songs within an album.

I can always make an on-the-go playlist by selecting songs I like and then shuffling that big album. But what I really wanted was a DAP that can shuffle songs from every folder (meaning every album) everytime I switch a track. I want my DAP to be as hands-off as possible so I can enjoy a boring airplane flight without cycling through my folders so much. I don't want just to be able to shuffle songs within the same album... I meant all albums

Jun 7, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #8,241 of 9,972
  How well does the X3ii (or even the X1 and X5ii) do gapless playback? I did have the iBasso DX50 and it was never properly working unless you installed Rockbox

Flawless...for the x3ii

Jun 7, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #8,242 of 9,972
Question, why when the screen is off I can spin the wheel and it will go through the song list BUT it doesn't wake the screen. Seems like it should either wake the screen OR simply not work at all until the screen is awake first

Jun 7, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #8,243 of 9,972
  Please forgive me if this is not the place to ask, what what are your thoughts about these 3 headphones paired with the X3 II:

1) Shure SE215 (I currently own this one, I like them very much, but I want to explore the following headphones).

2) Dunu Titan 5.

Hey there,
The Shure SE215 are a good match. The X3ii can squeeze the last drop of juice from those IEMs. They "shure" sound different when paired with my smartphone or computer. 
As for the others, I can't answer.

Jun 7, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #8,244 of 9,972

What I meant was that I could shuffle all my albums everytime I switch a track. I'm talking about an entire playlist shuffle.. My iPod Nano could do that.. I could shuffle all songs from every album.. not just shuffling songs within an album.

I can always make an on-the-go playlist by selecting songs I like and then shuffling that big album. But what I really wanted was a DAP that can shuffle songs from every folder (meaning every album) everytime I switch a track. I want my DAP to be as hands-off as possible so I can enjoy a boring airplane flight without cycling through my folders so much. I don't want just to be able to shuffle songs within the same album... I meant all albums

You can do that on any of the FiiO DAPs.  Use category (or in other words tagged), all songs, select the first one and then select shuffle (option from the upper left button).  Press next track and it shuffles.

Jun 7, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #8,245 of 9,972

Now Playing, first icon from the left. Have to build media library first

Jun 7, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #8,247 of 9,972
Got it few days back how come no matter i set the song title to title or file name it still remains the same?

Eg:1abc.mp3

that setting only works for the now playing screen and not when browsing the files.

Jun 7, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #8,248 of 9,972

2) Dunu Titan 5.

i can vouch for the dunu titan 5. the sound is good than 215 for me. and i think it sounds more natural and complete in terms on slam and speed.
the let down though is the treble. it sometimes sound too extended to me.
also, pls try considering the ORTOFON eq5. its priced almost the same as the titan 5. and one more, pls consider the hybrid ORIVETI PRIMACY. its one hell of an iem for its price!!

Jun 8, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #8,249 of 9,972
Are the Windows DAC drivers available to download without the executable?

I'm trying to get it running as a DAC on my work computer, but we are blocked from running exe's. I believe I could manually install a driver via device manager though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back