The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Feb 1, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #7,037 of 9,972
I agree with some of the positive comments on the X3.  Actually with the final update the first generation X3 sounds mighty fine, by the way.

I still think the Gen II holds it own against units costing 2 or 3 times more.  Yes, the X7 is a meaningfully better unit and has way more functionality.  But it is much bigger and costs quite a bit more. 

I have not heard an X5II with later generations of firmware but  when I tested it the incremental difference vs. the X3II was not huge.

The only FIIO unit that I have heard that did not float my boat was the X1.

I won't include the E07 Andes in this comment as it is a different animal.  But I am partial to that Wolfson sound.

Feb 2, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #7,038 of 9,972
  I agree with some of the positive comments on the X3.  Actually with the final update the first generation X3 sounds mighty fine, by the way.

I still think the Gen II holds it own against units costing 2 or 3 times more.  Yes, the X7 is a meaningfully better unit and has way more functionality.  But it is much bigger and costs quite a bit more. 

I have not heard an X5II with later generations of firmware but  when I tested it the incremental difference vs. the X3II was not huge.

The only FIIO unit that I have heard that did not float my boat was the X1.

I won't include the E07 Andes in this comment as it is a different animal.  But I am partial to that Wolfson sound.

I have to agree with everything you've said. I have owned all the units you mentioned except for the X7 and as far as I'm concerned the X3 and X3ii sound great...the X3ii is perfect for my needs and I haven't even considered the X7.

Feb 2, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #7,039 of 9,972
New Beta!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/770863/official-x3-2nd-gen-beta-firmware-thread-fw1-44-library-search-replaygain-high-speed-usb-dop-d2p#post_11671525

X3 2nd gen FW1.44 (2016-01-30)

The following changes and improvements were made to FW1.44beta compared to FW1.4:

1. Added support for ReplayGain;

2. Added library search function: activate by holding Shortcuts button in any category or folder browsing screen; use previous / next buttons to switch between numbers and alphabet).

3. Increased USB storage transfer speeds (≥8MB/s);

4. Added Recently Played playlist (via Play by Category);

5. Added DoP and D2P options to S/PDIF output;

6. Added Line Output level options (fixed or variable level);

7. Optimized UI operation and speed;

8. Amended user interface in Play by Category;

9. Added play mode: play single track and stop

10. Added option to delete a track (outside of Now Playing);

11. Fixed issue with hidden files stored by a Mac OS computer accessing the cards on the X5 2nd gen; 

12. Fixed issue with syncing timed lyrics with song position;

13. Fixed issue where some ID3 tag info could not be read correctly;

14. Added option to manually clear media library database file (via System Settings);

15. USB OTG function (which had never been compatible with many USB devices) has been disabled to improve device detection in storage and DAC modes by the computer;

16. Miscellaneous bug fixes.
Note:

In the process of updating to FW1.44beta, only Favorites and internal playlist data will be retained--settings and media library database will be reset.  If downgrading from FW1.44beta to older firmware, settings and media library database will also be reset.

Sorry for those of you that want the EQ shortcut.  It isn't there..  USB OTG has been disabled.  Replay gain is supported!
The EQ isn't working at all in this firmware, so a shortcut being present or not wouldn't make too much of a difference :p

Feb 2, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #7,044 of 9,972
  It's nice they added these features but many I don't use or I don't know what they are like #5. What is DoP and D2P options to S/PDIF output?

D2P means the DSD signal will not change to PCM when use coaxial output . 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 2, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #7,046 of 9,972

D2P means the DSD signal will not change to PCM when use coaxial output . 

Good to see you in the X3 Gen 2 thread James.  Hopefully you can review some of the feedback from this latest beta 1.44.

EQ is not functional and some users would like the USB OTG brought back.  Thanks for fixing the lyrics issue and adding replay gain.  Much appreciated.  

Some feedback I provided to Joe, but will mention here.  Under Category > All Songs why is the track name not pulled from the tag and displayed in this section.  To me it does not make sense to show file names.  I have always had to rename my files to Track number Track Name.  With the new search feature having tracks that all start with a 01, 02, etc does not work well.

Thanks and all my best to you!

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #7,048 of 9,972
Please name a desktop dac/amp that has a similar sound to Fiio X3II.
I want to decide between this and a budget(ish) desktop solution for my HD598SE.
For example does it sound much better (or worse) than E10K?
Or... if the difference is big I might stretch and go for O2/ODAC.
I prefer portable, but not at the expense of sound quality.

Feb 2, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #7,049 of 9,972
  Please name a desktop dac/amp that has a similar sound to Fiio X3II.
I want to decide between this and a budget(ish) desktop solution for my HD598SE.
For example does it sound much better (or worse) than E10K?
Or... if the difference is big I might stretch and go for O2/ODAC.
I prefer portable, but not at the expense of sound quality.

The X3ii sounded great as a Amp/DAC for my 558's from my Mac Mini and on its own. Don't think you'll be missing anything from the E10k or the O2. If Portability is a factor, get the X3ii

Users who are viewing this thread

Back