The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jan 21, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #6,961 of 9,972
  Just got the FiiO X3 II second hand, and waiting for it to arrive. I've never used a DAP before. What can I expect? I got them for $155 with the original stuff + a 64gb sd card, so I hope that was a good price.

My current headphones are the HE400i and m100. Thanks!

You got a good deal.  IMO, you shouldn't be disappointed, but we all hear things differently and have different taste so YMMV.  I love mine.
atsmile.gif

Jan 21, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #6,962 of 9,972
The X3II can power the 400i just fine but you do get better SQ with a more powerful amp. It doesn't have to be some extremely powerful amp, my cheap little $50 Nobsound hybrid tube amp pushes it just fine and running it through my X3II it gives the 400i a larger sound with more width than just using the X3II alone. With 1100mW at 32ohm that is more than enough to push the 400i which is better than the 200mW at 32omh of the X3II alone.

Jan 22, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #6,965 of 9,972
Doesn't appear to be compatible unfortunately

Jan 22, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #6,967 of 9,972
Hi everyone. I just came to give an update regarding the screeching noise my fiio x3ii made during playback. I found the culprit. Its my sd card. Its a fake Sandisk Ultra 128gb. What a bogus seller. I checked him on ebay and he is already suspended. Beware!
The x3ii is still an awesome player. Listening to some Aristeia now and it is pure joy with my dn1000s. Cheers.

Jan 22, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #6,968 of 9,972
Hi everyone. I just came to give an update regarding the screeching noise my fiio x3ii made during playback. I found the culprit. Its my sd card. Its a fake Sandisk Ultra 128gb. What a bogus seller. I checked him on ebay and he is already suspended. Beware!
The x3ii is still an awesome player. Listening to some Aristeia now and it is pure joy with my dn1000s. Cheers.

Good to hear it was a card problem and not a player one. I don't dare buying sdcards on ebay, dunno who to trust!
I got my SanDisk 128gb on Amazon and it works flawlessly, try to get one in there or any other reliable store.

Jan 23, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #6,969 of 9,972
Actually, it does seem like bad behavior for the player to start screaming in your ears if a file is corrupted. But that is contrary to my experience. I had a few instances of a corrupted sector (not due to the memory card nor the player) and each time the X3ii responded reasonably: it just stops playing the track and continues with the next, showing a message that disappears too quickly to read. Perhaps thanks to the type of corruption or the type of file (always M4A in my case)?

Jan 23, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #6,970 of 9,972
The x3ii is still an awesome player. Listening to some Aristeia now and it is pure joy with my dn1000s. Chee

Glad you got it figured out :)

Jan 23, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #6,971 of 9,972
What codec and compression level are these files encoded in? (e.g. FLAC level 6, APE extreme, etc.) And what is the sample rate?

Have you actually benchmarked this card or are you going by the numbers quoted by online tests?

I have not benchmarked this card.  Not to sound despondent, but I dont have time to do things like that, so I trust independent reviews on the internet.  Cant be an expert in everything!

They are all FLAC 24/88.  I dont encode them myself, but they seem be using FLAC 1.2.1, according to the files.  Is that what you are looking for?  Is there a way to find additional information for you?

Thanks!

Jan 23, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #6,972 of 9,972
  I am also using the Patriot 128gb sd card and no issues...so far. Only had my x3 ii 2 days :)

Are you playing 24/88 files?

The other poster may have a bad card or bad files. He won't know until he tries the same files on a different card. If he doesn't, then I'd say he's got a bad card. If he does, then he needs to contact FiiO who i believe reached out to him here yesterday.

I dont have another card that I can find, unfortunately.  I get what you guys are saying, it makes sense if its the card.  I just wish I realized this during the return window.

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #6,973 of 9,972
I've just bought the X3 2nd Gen and have used it for 3 days now. I currently use it with my M100 and SE215. I'm loving my current set-up and don't see myself changing it up anytime soon. However, I'd appreciate it if any of you could give me suggestions on how to upgrade my set-up from here (future upgrades i.e. amps or headphones or anything else) to improve my listening experience.
Also, is there any way I can re-arrange the order of the songs in my playlist I created?

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #6,974 of 9,972
I think my 6 months old X3II's battery just died two days ago. I was working, and while picking the player to choose a song, I noticed that the unit was really hot (not warm). It was bearable but definitely not usual). Soon after the battery was empty, I recharged it overnight (making sure the player was off, to avoid any additionnal heat), but the morning after, the battery lasted only 4Hrs without using the DAP !

I'll contact my shop to send them back the faulty unit, hoping they'll give me back another one.
Do you guys are aware of similar issues with this DAP so far ? I'm really concerned because I like this neat little player...

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #6,975 of 9,972
  Sorry for the wall of text, just trying to be as detailed as I can!

So I just got my X3K today and I'm finding this to be a very odd DAP compared to the X1 I just had before it. The sound, in general, almost seems like a step back to me despite what others are saying.

So yeah, I don't know what's going on. Is it possible my X3 is defective or something? I mean, it doesn't sound like it's broken or anything but it just doesn't sound...better.

Thoughts?

I was in the same boat, if not similar to your experience. I had my X1 a few short months before I ordered my X3K. My question then was primarily about the volume I am getting from the X3K compared to my X1. Somebody knowledgeable explained to me the difference in volume adjustment viz a viz the two. The X3K has more refined steps - going up or down - in adjusting its volume.  That sounds a logical answer. Yet, as I kept checking between the X3K and the X1, I know, from my experience, I get more volume at any range from my X1.

The second impression I have that took me awhile to accept as my truth is, with my limited collection and inexpensive IEMs (Fidue A73 & A65, Orotofon EQ-5) and with my Grado SR60 & SR80, my Sennheiser 518 and HD239, I honestly enjoy the X1 better. Does this make me "wrong?" No. Simply different.

Exactly why I like Fiio products. They have a line of DAPs that suits a wide range of consumers, even those who need not have a pair of ears like "the majority" or that of the experts'. Does this make them any less of an expert?  Definitely not. I very much value their insights. Most of the time, I am happy with my purchases because I read their impressions. Does it the suggest that the minority like myself is wrong? No. I simply have to trust my ears, no matter how different these are compared to the rest..

Though when I use the Line-out of my X1 and X3K on my JDS O2 to listen through my Sennheiser HD600, I very much prefer the X3K.  I also enjoy my E10K better than my E07K on its own. On some of my music collection, I prefer the E07K + E09K better than my O2. For at the end of the day, the self gets to decide if the self enjoys what the self bought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back