The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Nov 21, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #6,272 of 9,972
  Looks like they just posted a firmware update (v1.4).

Change Log:

Code:
 X3 2nd gen FW1.4 (2015-11-17) The following changes and improvements were made to FW1.4 compared to FW1.31beta: 1. Fixed issue where the player may not be able to load the cover art for certain files. 2. Fixed issue where certain DFF files may not be playable. 3. Miscellaneous bug fixes.

I assume this update also includes the scroll wheel fix from the 1.31 beta version as well (for those who didn't install the beta version).

Code:
 X3 2nd gen FW1.31beta (2015-10-29) The following changes and improvements were made to FW1.31 compared to FW1.3: Improved the sensitivity and consistency of the scroll wheel response.

Just installed it and it's working just fine!

Too bad this update still have not resolved displaying the Filename instead of the Song title issue though.

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #6,275 of 9,972
Did the Q1 do much to improve SQ? Would be significant savings over the e12a.

SQ wise, the Q1 adds a little flavor.  Not that the X3II alone sounds bad, but when I hooked up the Q1 and hit the bass boost, it really added some richness and body that was lacking IMO.  It doesn't add booming bass or anything like that, but does add to impact and doesn't take anything away from the mids or highs using my SR60e or HD558.  In fact, it really sounds sweet with the HD558.  The Q1 has a DAC function which the E12a doesn't have, but it all boils down t what you need.  There are a couple of reviews up on the Q1 that you should check out.  I personally like it, but my only previous amp experience was a Topping NX1 paired with my X1 (which was an excellent combo), but I definitely like the Q1's sound better.

ETA: Because I forgot to comment on it, the Q1 with the bass boost off sounds very dry with no life to me.  Others have said this as well.  Music was boring.  I guess if you like extremely analytical sound then you would run it with the boost off. 

Nov 22, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #6,276 of 9,972
Hello, and thanks for any help that's offered.

I bought the unit to replace My iPod and will use it to play music in the car, not used the Fiio in the car so far

My question is what is the best way to connect the units my car has both a usb connection that allows me to use steering wheel controls and displays track names, whereas aux input does not display anything.

I tend to play in random mode using 320 MP3 files

Which method gives the best audio playback.?

Can you also recommend where I get the cables.. I have only seen cheap jack to usb on Amazon and eBay..

Thank you

Nov 22, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #6,277 of 9,972
My question is what is the best way to connect the units my car has both a usb connection that allows me to use steering wheel controls and displays track names, whereas aux input does not display anything.

Previously ...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/743704/the-fiio-x3-2nd-gen-ex-x3k-x3ii-thread-192k-24b-cs4398-native-dsd-usb-dac-with-lo-and-inline-remote/6240#post_12083343

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #6,278 of 9,972
I think we've been thru this before. At System settings I've set Finename display to Title. But at Categories -> All songs, the list shown are filenames of the songs and not the actual song titles.
Oh well, perhaps its just my unit that's having this issue and not others. Maybe I'll try a factory reset next.

Nov 23, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #6,279 of 9,972
  I think we've been thru this before. At System settings I've set Finename display to Title. But at Categories -> All songs, the list shown are filenames of the songs and not the actual song titles.
Oh well, perhaps its just my unit that's having this issue and not others. Maybe I'll try a factory reset next.

It's not your unit. It's the way it is. Mine is the same.

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #6,280 of 9,972
Just got the Fiio x3 2nd gen from a jet.com deal. I think it came out to $155 usd after a promo. Anyways I love this little device, curious if you guys are stacking with the Q1 or similar, and if it's making any difference?

Only complaints : screen not bright enough (IMO). And when the screen goes off the only way for it to come back up is to hit the power button instead of the middle (or heck any other button).

edit: saw a post above mine giving the x3ii + Q1 bundle some love. Glad to see I'm not the only one who had the same idea pairing the two.

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #6,281 of 9,972
Also, is there anyway to theme this thing? Other than the defaults. If not that's cool

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #6,282 of 9,972
Just got the Fiio x3 2nd gen from a jet.com deal. I think it came out to $155 usd after a promo. Anyways I love this little device, curious if you guys are stacking with the Q1 or similar, and if it's making any difference?

Only complaints : screen not bright enough (IMO). And when the screen goes off the only way for it to come back up is to hit the power button instead of the middle (or heck any other button).

edit: saw a post above mine giving the x3ii + Q1 bundle some love. Glad to see I'm not the only one who had the same idea pairing the two.

Long press center button to unlock the x3ii.

Nov 24, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #6,283 of 9,972
Couple questions if someone could help me.

I have a X1 and was just wondering how the GUI and response time is on the X3ii is compared to the X1 (which can be quite slow).

Also is the click wheel anymore accurate on the X3 compared to the X1? The X1 will sometimes click 2-3 times before it actually registers.

Thats all, thanks in advance!

Nov 24, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #6,284 of 9,972
Couple questions if someone could help me.

I have a X1 and was just wondering how the GUI and response time is on the X3ii is compared to the X1 (which can be quite slow).

Also is the click wheel anymore accurate on the X3 compared to the X1? The X1 will sometimes click 2-3 times before it actually registers.

Thats all, thanks in advance!

They have the same UI.  They both run the same as far as I can tell.  If you have the latest fw in your X1 and the X3II, then the scroll wheel response is excellent.  One for one movement in my experience with both devices.

Nov 24, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #6,285 of 9,972

It's an excellent combo IMO and they stack together nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back