The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Nov 16, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #6,241 of 9,972
Hello everyone, I am new here. I need portable music player for workout and music on go also a bit handy and it will be great if it sound really good so I can enjoy it at home also,I recently purchased fiio x1 it sound good but bass was very poor so returned it back.

I saw fiio x3k reviews it looks good but I am still confused whether I should buy x3k or fiio x1 and a mid range amp.

Please help.

Hey bro x3 can be used as dac where u can bypass ur laptop soundcard and get the output from x3 instead. Its integrated amp will amplify the sound. What headphones u using for music?

Nov 16, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #6,245 of 9,972

What I don't understand is how X3II is working connected via USB. What connection from X3II are you plugging into your stereo's USB?. Because far as I'm aware the USB input on your car stereo is for reading USB sticks, and on top of this FiiO X3II cannot output a data signal or analogue line out signal through its USB port. 

(please help me here if I'm incorrect)

If you're using X3II's line out jack fed to your stereo's Aux in it shouldn't matter what file format is playing as the stereo just take this signal as analogue, just like a headphone receives the music signal from a player's headphone out. So why won't it play FLAC files using the Aux input method I suggest?

When it is in Storage mode plugged in the car's USB it does not play FLAC. It actually does work with FLAC when it is in the AUX. However, I prefer the USB method because I can change and scroll through songs with my car controls.

Nov 16, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #6,246 of 9,972
In USB DAC mode the X3ii is being fed the music from a source, it does not output music to another source in DAC mode. When not in DAC mode it behaves as a storage device through USB and the car stereo can't read FLAC files. It's a problem with the car stereo not being able to read FLAC files and not an issue with the way the X3ii behaves.

Use the auxiliary input on the car stereo from the X3ii's line out or don't feed the stereo FLAC files from the X3ii in USB storage mode.

Question is, is the music quality through the USB the same as in DAC mode through the computer?

Nov 16, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #6,247 of 9,972
Question is, is the music quality through the USB the same as in DAC mode through the computer?

What you are hearing through USB plugged in to the car stereo is 100% the car stereo. I explained to you that the X3ii is simply acting as an external storage device through USB to the car stereo. You can use a USB stick and it will behave the same way.

If you use the auxiliary input on the car stereo you are hearing the DAC from the X3ii if you connect to the X3ii line out but you are using the cars stereo amp - this is the best scenario. If you use the headphone out you are hearing the DAC and amp in the X3ii and will be double amplifying the signal through the car amp.

DAC mode on the X3ii uses the computer as the storage device and file decoder vs the SoC in the X3ii (basically reads the files) and then sends the raw decoded digital signal to the DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) to convert to an analogue signal in the X3ii, and from there it is output either through the line out (bypasses the headphone amplifier) or the headphone out.

So to summarize.

- USB to car stereo is 100% car stereo and the X3ii is only music storage.

- Computer to X3ii in DAC mode uses the computer as the storage device and the computer decodes the file formats and then sends the raw decoded digital signal to the X3ii DAC to convert and output the analogue signal through the analogue outputs.

- X3ii on its own uses the mSD cards as storage and the SoC (Silicone on a Chip - built in CPU) to decode the file formats and sends that decided digital signal to the DAC. The only difference between the stand alone player and using USB DAC mode with the computer is where the files are located and what decodes the file format.

Think of decoding the file formats like uncompressing a zip file, but instead of zip it's MP3, AAC, ALAC, FLAC etc.

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #6,249 of 9,972
while using X3k as DAC can we use computer equalizer? 

and can we connect it with android phone use phone EQ?

Yes, to the computer EQ.

No, the X3ii does not act as a DAC for smartphones because there is no slave / host protocol in the X3ii.

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #6,250 of 9,972
What you are hearing through USB plugged in to the car stereo is 100% the car stereo. I explained to you that the X3ii is simply acting as an external storage device through USB to the car stereo. You can use a USB stick and it will behave the same way.

If you use the auxiliary input on the car stereo you are hearing the DAC from the X3ii if you connect to the X3ii line out but you are using the cars stereo amp - this is the best scenario. If you use the headphone out you are hearing the DAC and amp in the X3ii and will be double amplifying the signal through the car amp.

DAC mode on the X3ii uses the computer as the storage device and file decoder vs the SoC in the X3ii (basically reads the files) and then sends the raw decoded digital signal to the DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) to convert to an analogue signal in the X3ii, and from there it is output either through the line out (bypasses the headphone amplifier) or the headphone out.

So to summarize.

- USB to car stereo is 100% car stereo and the X3ii is only music storage.

- Computer to X3ii in DAC mode uses the computer as the storage device and the computer decodes the file formats and then sends the raw decoded digital signal to the X3ii DAC to convert and output the analogue signal through the analogue outputs.

- X3ii on its own uses the mSD cards as storage and the SoC (Silicone on a Chip - built in CPU) to decode the file formats and sends that decided digital signal to the DAC. The only difference between the stand alone player and using USB DAC mode with the computer is where the files are located and what decodes the file format.

Think of decoding the file formats like uncompressing a zip file, but instead of zip it's MP3, AAC, ALAC, FLAC etc.

That was a great explanation. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #6,251 of 9,972
Nov 17, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #6,252 of 9,972
  I have the Fostex T20v2 (unmodded but with Shure pads). It's got an impedance of 50 Ohms. Will the X3 ii drive them well? I barely get enough volume out of my Macbook Pro.

The X3ii should drive them decently. This is based on my experience with a modded T50RP, which the X3ii powered okay. Since the unmodded T20RP mk2 is much more efficient than my modded T50RP, I would think you should be fine.

Nov 17, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #6,253 of 9,972

The X3ii should drive them decently. This is based on my experience with a modded T50RP, which the X3ii powered okay. Since the unmodded T20RP mk2 is much more efficient than my modded T50RP, I would think you should be fine.

Thanks. The T20v2 are surprisingly hard to drive for 50 Ohm headphones. I'm thinking the X3ii might be an affordable all-in-one solution, as a DAP/DAC/amp.

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #6,254 of 9,972
  I have the Fostex T20v2 (unmodded but with Shure pads). It's got an impedance of 50 Ohms. Will the X3 ii drive them well? I barely get enough volume out of my Macbook Pro.

What's the sensitivity?

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #6,255 of 9,972
New firmware for the X3II.

http://www.fiio.net/en/story/330

C.    X3 2nd gen FW 1.4:
The following changes and improvements were made to firmware version 1.4 compared to 1.3:
1. Improved the sensitivity and consistency of the scroll wheel response.
2. Fixed issue where the player may not be able to load the cover art for certain files.
3. Fixed issue where certain DFF files may not be playable.

New X3 FW1.4: >>Download Address
New X3 USB DAC Driver: >>Download Address 
New X3 Update Guide: >>Click Here
Complete User Manual: >>Download Address

Users who are viewing this thread

Back