The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Nov 11, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #6,211 of 9,972
  Are there any downsides to heavy use as DAC, regarding the battery health for example or anything else? Or is it fueled solely by USB/computer when I have plugged it in, in DAC-mode?

I am just kind of afraid that I might damage it in some way, in the long run, as I often end up just reading stuff for hours or even falling asleep while it's still turned on.

I'm wondering the same thing.  Could anyone actually from Fiio, as well as any folks familiar with the engineering fo such devices, tell us if constant heavy usage as a DAC will affect the battery-life?  Because I keep my Fiio X3ii plugged in as a DAC pretty much CONSTANTLY while it is at home.

Asked the same thing a while back,  and either James or Joe told me that when charging or using the X3 as DAC, as soon as the battery is fully recharged, the X3 bypasses it and is then feeded via USB. So no premature battery degradation!

Nov 11, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #6,212 of 9,972

Asked the same thing a while back,  and either James or Joe told me that when charging or using the X3 as DAC, as soon as the battery is fully recharged, the X3 bypasses it and is then feeded via USB. So no premature battery degradation!

gd to hear. thanks,

Nov 11, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #6,213 of 9,972

Fantastic!  That's what I was hoping.

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #6,215 of 9,972

Confirmed—and I'm experiencing the exact same issue with Ogg Vorbis (yes, the tracks are correctly encoded and glitch-free). Having just dropped $200 on this device, I really, really wish I'd done my due diligence and learned about this very serious problem before spending my money. For an audiophile DAP in 2015, true gapless playback should be a given, for lossy as well as lossless formats. Has anyone heard any hint of this being addressed in a future firmware update?

(And no support for disc number or album artist tags? Really?!)

Really? Your going to nitpick these little things? At $200 this is an absolutely AMAZING device. Yea, some things could be better, but nothings perfect. You should be glad with what you have at $200. Some devices that cost $500 and higher don't sound much better than the X3II.

Nov 12, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #6,217 of 9,972

Really? Your going to nitpick these little things? At $200 this is an absolutely AMAZING device. Yea, some things could be better, but nothings perfect. You should be glad with what you have at $200. Some devices that cost $500 and higher don't sound much better than the X3II.

And then you've got stuff like the HiFiMan players that by all accounts DO sound better, but by all accounts ALSO have terrible user-interfaces, inferior battery-life, and issues with many sensitive IEM's.

I suppose those folks for whom money is NO OBJECT could just go with one of the ludicrously overpriced players from A&K, haha.

Nov 12, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #6,218 of 9,972

My complaint about the tags is admittedly nitpicky, and not really that big of a deal to me...but gapless playback is an advertised feature, and I think I have every right to expect that it be implemented properly (on formats other than FLAC and DFF, I mean). Had I known this was not the case, I would not have purchased the device, because this feature is absolutely crucial to me...so damn right I'm gonna nitpick! Even the Rio Karma was able to handle gapless Ogg without a hitch, and that was 12 years ago!

I do appreciate that Fiio's firmware development is ongoing, so am hopeful that the issue may be resolved at some point.

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #6,223 of 9,972
Nov 12, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #6,225 of 9,972
All my stuff is gapless (MP3 and flac).  No clicking either.  This was discussed many of times if I recall in this thread and in the X1 thread.  Most playback issues span from the way the card was formatted.  I would make sure you formatted the card in the player itself.  As far as tagging goes, get Mp3tag and you can tag your music to fit your needs.

The majority of my files are 320 .mp3s. On live albums I get no gaps or clicks between tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back