The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Oct 30, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #6,168 of 9,972
Well after having my X3II for a few months now I finally used it as a DAC for my PC and it sounds great, better than just using the player or the player plus my amp. I just didn't want to go through all that crap to set it up for my Windows 8.1 but it was really ease to do so I'm mad I waited this long to do it. As a DAC is sounds so much cleaner and vivid than as a player and the soundstage is much better. The bass comes through with more thump and the mids and highs sound so much cleaner with more musicality. Now I'm just going to use it as a pmp when I'm not at home and as a DAC only when home, I love it.

Oct 30, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #6,169 of 9,972
Hi, can someone kindly post a picture of the coaxial cable that comes with the device? Specifically the co-axial end and not the 3.5mm end. I am thinking of pairing it with a Mojo but the shops I went to don't want to open a box as they only have demo units. Thanks.

Oct 30, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #6,170 of 9,972
  Well after having my X3II for a few months now I finally used it as a DAC for my PC and it sounds great, better than just using the player or the player plus my amp. I just didn't want to go through all that crap to set it up for my Windows 8.1 but it was really ease to do so I'm mad I waited this long to do it. As a DAC is sounds so much cleaner and vivid than as a player and the soundstage is much better. The bass comes through with more thump and the mids and highs sound so much cleaner with more musicality. Now I'm just going to use it as a pmp when I'm not at home and as a DAC only when home, I love it.

That's. . .really strange.  It shouldn't sound so different as a DAC.  Are you using the same files when you play from your PC as the ones you have stored on the Micro-SD in the X3ii?  What player software are you using?

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #6,171 of 9,972
Yeah, I was listening to them on just the X3II then from my computer through the DAC using the same files. I saw where someone else said they liked it more as a stand alone DAC as well. Its not a night and day difference but its enough that I notice it. The mids come forward a bit more and the bass has add punch. Now after listening more I found that the soundstage is about the same with both. I'm going to do a lot of listening today to see if it was all a placebo effect but on my first couple of hours of listening I hear a difference. I'm going to use the DAC from headphone out, then line out and line out through a couple of amps and see what kind of difference there is.

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #6,172 of 9,972
  Yeah, I was listening to them on just the X3II then from my computer through the DAC using the same files. I saw where someone else said they liked it more as a stand alone DAC as well. Its not a night and day difference but its enough that I notice it. The mids come forward a bit more and the bass has add punch. Now after listening more I found that the soundstage is about the same with both. I'm going to do a lot of listening today to see if it was all a placebo effect but on my first couple of hours of listening I hear a difference. I'm going to use the DAC from headphone out, then line out and line out through a couple of amps and see what kind of difference there is.

Just to be sure: Have you checked that no EQ settings are being used on the PC player?
I've used my X3ii both as a DAC with my PC and on the go in normal mode, and it sounded the same in both ways.

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #6,174 of 9,972
I have about 8200-300 songs on my Fiio with a mixture of lossy and lossless files. Whenever I play lossy files, I notice a 2-3 second delay between song switches, and a further 12-20 second delay for the song's details to appear on screen after being played. Help!

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #6,175 of 9,972
Just received my Dignis Case.. It sure does look good and feels nice to hold & use the device. Won't offer the kind of protection that the silicone case is capable of.. But it is the next best thing to the bare X3. I want to share some pics as there aren't any pics of the device with the Black Dignis Case out there.

Oct 31, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #6,176 of 9,972
Well after doing a lot of listening today in DAC mode and just through the X3II I've found that with my PC using the DAC line out through an amp sounds the best, at least to my ears it does. I hear a better more clean sound using the X3II like that than I do any other way. The have a more musical feel to me and the mids are pushed forward ever so slightly along with a bass that has add punch without sounding to hard. Now I know people have said it shouldn't sound different but I clearly hear a difference, I don't know if it because of the amp or what but there is an audible difference. I don't expect to us it much longer as a stand alone DAC because I've decided to get a Bifrost but for the time being I enjoy the signature its presenting.  

Oct 31, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #6,177 of 9,972
I have about 8200-300 songs on my Fiio with a mixture of lossy and lossless files. Whenever I play lossy files, I notice a 2-3 second delay between song switches, and a further 12-20 second delay for the song's details to appear on screen after being played. Help!

What type of lossy music files are they? Do you have large album art? For me 500x500 embedded is optimal. The behavior you describe is not normal.

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #6,180 of 9,972
Does anyone know where one can buy a 3.5mm to 3.5mm coaxial for the X3ii? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back