The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Sep 12, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #5,701 of 9,972
I'm thankful for the latest firmware update, 1.3... as my X3 II wouldn't complete its media update with the screen turning bright white like a projector burning through film.  Now, everything functions properly and the response time of the player overall has improved.

If FiiO would offer an update to improve my relationships, I'd be most grateful.

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #5,702 of 9,972
When I go to "Genre" and select my "Electronic" genre I get to at list of 1000s of tracks, starting with 100s of track #1 of all Electronic albums, then track #2, and so on. Is this normal?

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #5,703 of 9,972
  Update from @Joe Bloggs re. new stable FW:

Stable firmware version FW1.3 for X3 2nd gen now available!
Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hy1vmo94w8a7jyh/X3%202nd%20gen%20FW1.3.zip?dl=0

Highlights for me? 5800 song limit is history, better M3U playlist support, and you can use EQ on LO and coax out.

Link to Joes' post and new discussion thread with further info about the update: http://www.head-fi.org/t/780197/official-x3-2nd-gen-stable-firmware-download-discussion-thread-fw1-3-9-new-improvements-plus-14-improvements-from-1-11-and-1-16beta#post_11897136

Enjoy!

Thanks Haku!
Just updated mine 
smile.gif

Sep 12, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #5,705 of 9,972
It looks like the HM801 has some roll off as well but not as bad as the HM601. The LE was supposed to help the treble quality but I don't know about quantity. I'd love to try one though.

Looks like we're getting off topic. Go X3ii go! :)
Relic, another random topic. Do you have any intention to port your X5 themes to the X3 II? I can't seem to find any threads here or elsewhere where custom themes are offered.

Sep 12, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #5,706 of 9,972
Relic, another random topic. Do you have any intention to port your X5 themes to the X3 II? I can't seem to find any threads here or elsewhere where custom themes are offered.

I wish I had the time. Honestly, I'm quite surprised there isn't a more robust theming community for the second generation FiiO players.

Sep 12, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #5,708 of 9,972
I was wondering if anyone came across this issue.  I recently got a PNY 128 GB SD card.  I formatted it with the X3II, and transferred music to it using an USB 3.0 card reader.  When the card is mostly empty with only a couple of folders, I have no problems, but when the card is loaded with some music, high resolution files, specifically 192/24 and DSD64 stutter like crazy.  96/24 and 88/24 files also stutter, but not as much.  No problems with 48/24 or lower.  I also have a 64 GB SanDisk that exhibit no stuttering.  Running benchmarks in Windows 10, the PNY card is faster than the SanDisk in both read and write.

I'm running the 1.3 firmware, but the player did the same thing with 1.1 and 1.16 beta firmwares.  I have reformatted the card several times with the X3II to no avail.  My player's NB is W233b.

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #5,709 of 9,972
  I was wondering if anyone came across this issue.  I recently got a PNY 128 GB SD card.  I formatted it with the X3II, and transferred music to it using an USB 3.0 card reader.  When the card is mostly empty with only a couple of folders, I have no problems, but when the card is loaded with some music, high resolution files, specifically 192/24 and DSD64 stutter like crazy.  96/24 and 88/24 files also stutter, but not as much.  No problems with 48/24 or lower.  I also have a 64 GB SanDisk that exhibit no stuttering.  Running benchmarks in Windows 10, the PNY card is faster than the SanDisk in both read and write.

I'm running the 1.3 firmware, but the player did the same thing with 1.1 and 1.16 beta firmwares.  I have reformatted the card several times with the X3II to no avail.  My player's NB is W233b.

How much blank space is on the card when you get the stuttering problem?

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #5,710 of 9,972

All 64gb+ cards come with a chunk of unallocated space. I would suggest repartition the card.

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #5,711 of 9,972

How much blank space is on the card when you get the stuttering problem?

Anywhere from about 90 GB on down (ie about 30 GB of music on the card and up)
All 64gb+ cards come with a chunk of unallocated space. I would suggest repartition the card.

The card formats to 119 GB, so I don't think I'm losing any space.

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #5,712 of 9,972

Anywhere from about 90 GB on down (ie about 30 GB of music on the card and up)

That seems like a more than adequate amount of free space.

It's possible that the card itself might be the problem since your 64GB card seems okay.

I had that problem with Hi-Res files on a 64GB card. I then reformatted and loaded up some music. It worked okay but I haven't yet tested it with a large amount of music files on it.

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #5,713 of 9,972
  That seems like a more than adequate amount of free space.

It's possible that the card itself might be the problem since your 64GB card seems okay.

I had that problem with Hi-Res files on a 64GB card. I then reformatted and loaded up some music. It worked okay but I haven't yet tested it with a large amount of music files on it.

Yeah the thing is that flash-memory, especially super-miniaturized flash like in Micro SD cards, can be very very finicky in its behavior and interactions with different operating systems or firmware.  Meaning that just because the card benchmarks fine on your computer and scans as having no errors, doesn't mean it will work smoothly in every other device.  Unfortunately, this kind of thiing isn't so much an issue of Fiio's firmware, most likely, as it is an issue inherent to miniaturized flash-memory.

@dogmusic:  How exactly did you reformat the card that was having issues, in your case?  The guy asking the question says that he reformatted it in the X3ii itself, but that didn't help.

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #5,714 of 9,972

Yeah the thing is that flash-memory, especially super-miniaturized flash like in Micro SD cards, can be very very finicky in its behavior and interactions with different operating systems or firmware.  Meaning that just because the card benchmarks fine on your computer and scans as having no errors, doesn't mean it will work smoothly in every other device.  Unfortunately, this kind of thiing isn't so much an issue of Fiio's firmware, most likely, as it is an issue inherent to miniaturized flash-memory.

Thanks.  That's what I thought.  Oh well, I'll load up the 128 GB card with RB FLAC's and call it a day.

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #5,715 of 9,972

Thanks.  That's what I thought.  Oh well, I'll load up the 128 GB card with RB FLAC's and call it a day.

I formatted my 128gb Sandisk card in the X3ii itself, loaded it up with only stuff in 16/48 and lower, and I've never had any issues.  But even back when I did have some stuff on there that was in 24/96 (I later downsampled those files to save space), I never experienced any issues with stuttering.  Keep in mind that Sandisk is known for having the most reliable flash-memory tech on the market, in-general, while PNY not quite so much.

Back when I had the card formatted in exFAT and then at one point NTFS (formatted it in Windows) rather than having formatted it with the X3ii itself, though, I experienced occasional stuttering and all other kinds of weird glitches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back