The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jul 28, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #5,011 of 9,972
After doing some back and forth from headphone out to line out the difference wasn't as much as I first thought because the volume level from line out was louder making it seem like the music was more flushed out. Using the line out with my Schiit Vali does sound a little better than just using the DAP's headphone out but its not like its night and day. The highs have a bit more sparkle to them and the soundstage is also a little bigger from the line out.

The new X3 does sound better than my Hifiman HM-601LE and also my Colorfly C3. I like the neutral signature and I don't find it to be very colored at all. The EQ works really well, I like to give my Sony Z7 a bit of a treble boost from 2kHz up. If I do a little bass boost I don't find it to color the lower mids at all like some other DAP's EQ's do which is a big plus imo.

I'm very happy with the purchase, only paid $169.99 for a like new store display which didn't even seem to be touched at all. Easy to navigate with good SQ and from what I can tell very good build quality.

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #5,012 of 9,972
If I want to feed coax in to my desktop dac/amp with X3II.

Can I simply use an RCA male to male 1 meter cable and extend the provided coax cable which came with X3II?

Is there any problem with simply extending the cable? 
smile.gif

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #5,015 of 9,972
If I want to feed coax in to my desktop dac/amp with X3II.

Can I simply use an RCA male to male 1 meter cable and extend the provided coax cable which came with X3II?

Is there any problem with simply extending the cable? :smile:  

Yep - that's what I do with my set-up when I'm testing

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #5,016 of 9,972
  Anyone tried a 256GB or perhaps even 512GB SD card in the X3ii?

Probably not as only MicroSD fits. 
wink_face.gif

Seriously the biggest size I know is 200GB from Sandisk.

Jul 28, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #5,017 of 9,972

I just tried this with my Samsung Galaxy S3. It did indeed work with the help of USB Audio Pro app on the Playstore.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro (its not free, however there is a trail version for testing purposes)

It worked without a problem using X3II as a DAC. The only downside was X3II wanted to charge whilst connected, I assume drawing the phones battery.

I forgot about the USB Audio Pro app - with that, I think most phones should work with lots of different DACs due to I believe the app having their own drivers to work off of.

So yeah, anybody trying to pair their FiiO player for use as a USB DAC with their Android device should probably give that app a try.

Jul 28, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #5,020 of 9,972
Thanks to H20Fidelity for the tip re. the USB Audio Pro app.

Can anyone compare it to a stand-alone portable DAC, such as the Oppo HA-2 or Cayin C5?

I'm leaning toward the Cayin for its form factor, but know the Fiio should drive my AKG K7XXs better.

Any opinions one way or another?

Thanks!

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #5,022 of 9,972
Anyone having problems with the DAC drivers with Windows 10? I was using the preview build for Windows 10 and the DAC drivers were working fine with it. 
Today I upgraded to the final release of Windows 10 and the DAC drivers are not working properly, the audio is stuttering and cutting out whilst watching movies, it is also causing the video playback to stutter and freeze. 

EDIT: 
Seems to be a problem with USB 3, just switch the USB cable over to a USB 2 port and it is working fine. Strange, I was using the USB 3 fine before. Not sure if it is a problem with the driver, windows or my USB 3 port. As I said it was working fine before I installed the retail version of Windows 10 so i'm not sure what the problem is. 

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #5,024 of 9,972
I have been using the insider build and complete version with USB 3 and have experienced none of your problems. See if there any driver updates for your motherboard.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Jul 30, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #5,025 of 9,972
  You could try the OTG and use a card reader or flash drive.  That's what I do.

Check the FIIO OTG forum for more info.. there is plenty of us trying to expand the storage capabilities of our systems beyond the 128GB limit (microSD).  512GB is possible with a OTG SSD - it just takes the right one (Integral) due to the USB controller design.  This gives the ultimate number of track selections available to the device - I wedge the SSD between the Fiio Mt. Blanc amp and the X3 gen 2.  For selection/quality, this can't be beat ... amazing to have a full rack of high fidelity tracks available on random play - a perfect combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back