The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jul 7, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #4,741 of 9,972

I had no problem with your comments. They were quite instructive. You learn more about a device from criticism than you do from the fan-boys.

thanks for understanding my feelings.
It's just that when you see a $50 android phone has the latest things working smoothly why can't a audiophile player do the simplest things.
Anyway, it's just what I feel.

Jul 7, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #4,742 of 9,972

I had no problem with your comments. They were quite instructive. You learn more about a device from criticism than you do from the fan-boys.

I agree fully, as a customer he has the right to offer criticism towards a product he PAID for. Others attacking him for it and calling him names is something this forum should put an immediate stop to because it ruins what this place was intended for. If a company deserves even a minor critique, then give it. But just like in my previous post and I'll say it again, if they listen and communicate then that deserves credit as well.

Balance is a beautiful thing.

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #4,743 of 9,972
If all else is in order then the only real delay on the information being displayed is the size of the album art. Like I said earlier, reduce the size to around 500x500 and you will be happier. There is no iTunes with FiiO players to hold our hand and no FW update will fix that.

Jul 7, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #4,744 of 9,972
Considering the players crop the artwork anyways, 500x500 is overkill
wink.gif

I'd just recommend to keep the artwork no bigger than the native resolution of the screen (in the case of the 1st gen, I use 240x)
I think it has also been mentioned, but using cover.jpg (or folder.jpg) does have a performance benefit over using embedded artwork 

Jul 7, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #4,745 of 9,972
I just don't get involved with Apple as they are such a self-centric company whom don't follow anybody else's standards. 

I like the Google Play interface, so it might be worth it for streaming my Google collection using the headphone out. Or using some sort of OTG connection which I can't seem to find out at the moment. So a bit of research required.

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #4,746 of 9,972
Considering the players crop the artwork anyways, 500x500 is overkill:wink:

I'd just recommend to keep the artwork no bigger than the native resolution of the screen (in the case of the 1st gen, I use 240x)
I think it has also been mentioned, but using cover.jpg (or folder.jpg) does have a performance benefit over using embedded artwork 

I use 500x500 simply because I use my files on a number of devices from this little screen to displaying the artwork on a TV via plex. The lag on the x3 2nd gen is minimal with that size embedded artwork.

If I customized the artwork for the x3 I would just use a cover.jpg at the appropriate screen resolution size.

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #4,747 of 9,972
If all else is in order then the only real delay on the information being displayed is the size of the album art. Like I said earlier, reduce the size to around 500x500 and you will be happier. There is no iTunes with FiiO players to hold our hand and no FW update will fix that.

Why not a FW* update to simply toggle artwork on or off?

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #4,748 of 9,972
I use 500x500 simply because I use my files on a number of devices from this little screen to displaying the artwork on a TV via plex. The lag on the x3 2nd gen is minimal with that size embedded artwork.

If I customized the artwork for the x3 I would just use a cover.jpg at the appropriate screen resolution size.

I did a little testing for anyone interested.  My 500x500 cover art embedded would take about 1.8 seconds to appear after pressing the track advance button.  I moved the cover art to external and did not notice a change in load time.  I then changed the cover art to be 320x320 to match the max screen resolution.  Load times as embedded or external were about 1.1 seconds either way.  Certainly an improvement reducing the image size.  Embedded vs external did not matter.  

I reduced the art size down to 160x160 without an improvement in the 1.1 second load time.  So it looks like 320x320 embedded or external is the best method.  This was tested with 16/44.1 FLAC files.  

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #4,749 of 9,972
thanks for understanding my feelings.
It's just that when you see a $50 android phone has the latest things working smoothly why can't a audiophile player do the simplest things.
Anyway, it's just what I feel.

I agree. While the X3ii sounds amazing, I also get frustrated at times by the fact that some minor aspects of basic functionality, which existed on players from companies like Cowon and Creative years ago (I never owned an iPod) seem to be lacking on a player released in 2015.

For example, as someone else mentioned, I bought my X3ii to listen to it, not look at it - but if it's designed to display album artwork, then it is reasonable to expect it will do so properly (ie. not cropped off).

Or since it does have album and artist views, and can handle high capacity cards, then it should be able to utilize that aspect of its functionality for all songs, not just the first 5800. And an ability to jump to artists or albums starting with a certain letter in those menus should be standard as well. (And yes, before someone says it, I know folder view gets around those issues, but it does not excuse the fact that one of its main menu features does not fully work properly).

A FW update shouldn't be needed to correct these issues down the line, they should have been ironed out before the device was ever launched.

Sometimes it's the fine details that matter.

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #4,750 of 9,972
Going off topic for a second, does the X3II have a colored or non-colored signature? I'm looking for a player at or under $300 to pair with my Sony Z7 and as they have a warm signature I don't want a really warm pmp. My Hifiman HM-601LE is a bit to warm to sound good with the Z7 but my Colorfly C3 sounds like more what I'm looking for. I would think the X3II's Cirus Logic dac would have a more neutral uncolored signature.

Jul 8, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #4,751 of 9,972
Of course each user can expect what ever they want from their DAP, but FiiO is not the only one of these Chinese DAP makers that crops album art or doesn't have search or the ability to jump to a particular artist. Not even sure it's possible with the code they are using. It is what it is. Agree on the 5800 track limit as that was fixed on the X5 ages ago.

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #4,755 of 9,972
smily_headphones1.gif
No one is picking on anyone. Sorry if Good natured ribbing has come off that way. It frustrates me however, when everyone IMMEDIATELY expects a NEW product to be an APPLE right out of the starting gate. First of all, for me personally, I dislike Apple products and their operating systems intensely, Plus Apple and their R&D dept. Has been around WAY longer than Fiio.  FIIO has a wonderful product, PLUS unlike Apple they have their ear to OUR input. That is why they are continually updating their firmware.

My suggestion is to send your input directly to Fiio, he is a sponsor here and will address your concerns. They can't fix a problem in the next Firmware Update unless they are aware that it exists.

Let me see if I can find him, and I will post it here.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back