The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jun 18, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #4,426 of 9,972

I have a question for anyone here. If I have my X3 set to high gain it uses more battery so if I set it to low gain will the battery last longer even if I have to turn the volume up louder to match the volume I was getting with high gain turned on?

In one of the reviews I read, the battery lasted nearly as long in High Gain as it did in Low. I wouldn't worry about it. It lasts quite long.

OK thanks. I figured even if it did save some battery life I'd lose what I saved by increasing the volume.

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #4,427 of 9,972
3 questions:

-Regarding the separate LINE OUT input I am a little confused about the purpose of having a separate input on the X3ii when it has to be selected in settings anyway (similar to the X1) can owners of the X3ii explain the benefit to this?

-Also, can I simply transfer my previously formatted (in X1) 128GB MicroSD card right into a new X3ii ready to play?

-I am using the X1 into a receiver and the headphone out in this combo sounds fantastic, I’d like a 2nd player to keep this connected permanently. So would you advise a second X1 or would a X3ii offer an even better sound difference in this specific setup?

Thank you.

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #4,428 of 9,972
3 questions:

-Regarding the separate LINE OUT input I am a little confused about the purpose of having a separate input on the X3ii when it has to be selected in settings anyway (similar to the X1) can owners of the X3ii explain the benefit to this?

-Also, can I simply transfer my previously formatted (in X1) 128GB MicroSD card right into a new X3ii ready to play?

-I am using the X1 into a receiver and the headphone out in this combo sounds fantastic, I’d like a 2nd player to keep this connected permanently. So would you advise a second X1 or would an X3ii offer an even better sound difference in this specific setup?

Thank you.

It formats as standard FAT32, so it should have zero conflicts going from X1 to X3 to X5 and so on. FiiO doesn't install firmware on the SD.

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #4,429 of 9,972
  3 questions:

-I am using the X1 into a receiver and the headphone out in this combo sounds fantastic, I’d like a 2nd player to keep this connected permanently. So would you advise a second X1 or would a X3ii offer an even better sound difference in this specific setup?

Thank you.

#1 - This isn't correct.  Having the separate Line Out allows you to, on the fly, plug in a different item (like an amp) and it automatically switches from headphone out to line out and turns off the headphone out.  You don't have to toggle on and off in the settings like you do on the X1.  This is one of the main reasons I switched to the X3II from my X1.

#2 - Yes, you're good to go, you just have to update the library when you plug the card in the first time.

#3 - you'll be fine either way.  Save the 100 bucks and get another X1.

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #4,430 of 9,972

#1 - This isn't correct.  Having the separate Line Out allows you to, on the fly, plug in a different item (like an amp) and it automatically switches from headphone out to line out and turns off the headphone out.  You don't have to toggle on and off in the settings like you do on the X1.  This is one of the main reasons I switched to the X3II from my X1.

#2 - Yes, you're good to go, you just have to update the library when you plug the card in the first time.

Thanks very much for these answers, very helpful. Especially for your honest suggestion on the final question regarding sound quality.

BTW I never updated the library in the X1, I just use the folders navigator in the center since it still (X1) has the 5,800 playlist limitation it seemed useless when there are close to 20,000 songs! The automatic Line Out is a very appealing touch! although I thought that because owners mentioned it was in the settings options so I was a bit confused there thinking it needed to be selected. So this means no warning message at all I guess, just plug and play.

Allow me to slide in a last question if I do decide on the X3ii, what is the latest firmware should I expect it to likely arrive with? Also, have all issues that I have been reading about in recent posts in this thread been resolved? ie: Headphone error messages etc.,etc. (Yikes! That was 2 more questions!
biggrin.gif
)

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #4,431 of 9,972
  Allow me to slide in a last question if I do decide on the X3ii, what is the latest firmware should I expect it to likely arrive with? Also, have all issues that I have been reading about in recent posts in this thread been resolved? ie: Headphone error messages etc.,etc. (Yikes! That was 2 more questions!
biggrin.gif
)

1.1 is the FW it comes with.  1.11 is the beta firmware that has messed with some devices (mine included).  So I went back to 1.1 and it's fine.  I guess certain builds of the device get that headphone error message.  It happens when you're playing music and you swap headphones (like if you're A&B testing)...a reboot is all that resolves it.  Since it is BETA, I expect some issues, so the stock firmware that it ships with is fine...just missing a few new features.  I'm sure they'll sort it out soon.

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #4,432 of 9,972

#2 - If you use folder browsing, you don't even have to update the library.

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #4,433 of 9,972

1.1 is the FW it comes with.  1.11 is the beta firmware that has messed with some devices (mine included).  So I went back to 1.1 and it's fine.  I guess certain builds of the device get that headphone error message.  It happens when you're playing music and you swap headphones (like if you're A&B testing)...a reboot is all that resolves it.  Since it is BETA, I expect some issues, so the stock firmware that it ships with is fine...just missing a few new features.  I'm sure they'll sort it out soon.

Thanks again man for the really good info. I like the idea of saving $100! I'm now thinking of leaving the X1 in the receiver since that internal amp has taken over the sound quality anyway. But my thinking for the X3ii is for experiencing the wider sound stage (if any) as a portable unit.

We could read post and threads all day and even advice to save $, but until it arrives on our own ears the curiosity will continue to beat us down! lol ........Hey Head-Fi let go of my wallet!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #4,434 of 9,972
  Thanks again man for the really good info. I like the idea of saving $100! I'm now thinking of leaving the X1 in the receiver since that internal amp has taken over the sound quality anyway. But my thinking for the X3ii is for experiencing the wider sound stage (if any) as a portable unit.

We could read post and threads all day and even advice to save $, but until it arrives on our own ears the curiosity will continue to beat us down! lol ........Hey Head-Fi let go of my wallet!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yeah definitely.  The main problem is that if you got another X1, you'd always wonder what that extra 100 would give you.  :)  So in this case, forget the 100, just grab an X3II.  If that's going to be your on the go DAP that you listen to w/ headphones, then the X3II is definitely superior.  Both are fantastic, so you'll be fine either way...but the X3II by itself w/ headphones is markedly better from almost all aspects.  Oh yeah and the X5II is coming soon.  LOL.  But from all accounts, it's not a huge upgrade sound-wise over the X3II, so I'm cool w/ the smaller device.

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #4,435 of 9,972

Yeah definitely.  The main problem is that if you got another X1, you'd always wonder what that extra 100 would give you.  :)  So in this case, forget the 100, just grab an X3II.  If that's going to be your on the go DAP that you listen to w/ headphones, then the X3II is definitely superior.  Both are fantastic, so you'll be fine either way...but the X3II by itself w/ headphones is markedly better from almost all aspects.  Oh yeah and the X5II is coming soon.  LOL.  But from all accounts, it's not a huge upgrade sound-wise over the X3II, so I'm cool w/ the smaller device.

Did you see how fast that $100 bill went in and out of my wallet??? LOL You bunch of friggin enablers!

Screw it, anything for good sounding MUSIC!!!

beerchug.gif

Jun 18, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #4,437 of 9,972

very_evil_smiley.gif

Wait what are you using the "permanent" x1 for?  Your Stereo Receiver? 

Jun 18, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #4,439 of 9,972
Jun 18, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #4,440 of 9,972
I am curious with the price drop on the original X5 (can be had for $279 new), does it make more sense to get the X5 or the X3SG in terms of sound quality?  I have the original X3 but I am looking to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back