The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
May 20, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #3,616 of 9,972
  Will the X3 2nd gen output a digital signal via USB?

Not sure if this question has been answered yet.  Will the X3ii act as a mass storage device (like a flash drive) in my car via usb.  I have attempted it and it shows that it is charging but my infotainment system does not see it.  Is there a special setting for this unit?  It worked with the X1 and DX90 and a flash drive.

May 21, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #3,617 of 9,972
  Not sure if this question has been answered yet.  Will the X3ii act as a mass storage device (like a flash drive) in my car via usb.  I have attempted it and it shows that it is charging but my infotainment system does not see it.  Is there a special setting for this unit?  It worked with the X1 and DX90 and a flash drive.

I'm guessing not, if your head unit isn't seeing it. My only complaint is the line out (which has gobs of gain) isn't variable (like the DX90).

May 21, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #3,619 of 9,972
A line-out (by design) shouldn't be variable.  It's supposed to be fixed voltage - so that it acts as a fixed volume source into another amplifier.

The whole idea of having the line out fixed is so that it doesn't go through a pot - so less possibility of noise.  That way you get cleanest signal possible into the amp that's next in the chain

If the DX90 does have a variable line-out, then it's the exception rather than the norm .......

The last thing I'd want on the X3ii is a variable line-out.  I mean - that's essentially turning it into a headphone out.

May 21, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #3,620 of 9,972
A line-out (by design) shouldn't be variable.  It's supposed to be fixed voltage - so that it acts as a fixed volume source into another amplifier.

The whole idea of having the line out fixed is so that it doesn't go through a pot - so less possibility of noise.  That way you get cleanest signal possible into the amp that's next in the chain

If the DX90 does have a variable line-out, then it's the exception rather than the norm .......

The last thing I'd want on the X3ii is a variable line-out.  I mean - that's essentially turning it into a headphone out.

DX90 does have variable implemented at the DAC level LO, Brooko.

May 21, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #3,621 of 9,972
Has anyone tried playing DSD .iso files? Works great but the track order gets messed up on the X3ii for some reason. Anyone with similar issue? 

May 21, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #3,622 of 9,972

I'm having trouble understanding that concept, because just the opposite is true in home audio. I'm simply wishing for a true preamp transport I suppose.

I did overcome the line out (LOD) variable gain with a simple Rockbox MOD to my 5.5gen ipod. I'm hoping in time they will address this new X3 gen2.

By the way, has anyone figured out how to quickly get to a particular artist, such as ZZ top, who is the bottom of 560+ artists without spinning the jog wheel 300 revolutions? I know it round robins and all, butt..........

May 21, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #3,623 of 9,972
  By the way, has anyone figured out how to quickly get to a particular artist, such as ZZ top, who is the bottom of 560+ artists without spinning the jog wheel 300 revolutions? I know it round robins and all, butt..........

Rotate the opposite way - you'll start at Z

Also - try resorting your library into a folder system

A-C
D-F
G-I
etc

Then artist folders in next level down, then album folders.  Makes navigating a lot easier.

Originally Posted by zippersnapper 
  I'm having trouble understanding that concept, because just the opposite is true in home audio. I'm simply wishing for a true preamp transport I suppose.

I did overcome the line out (LOD) variable gain with a simple Rockbox MOD to my 5.5gen ipod. I'm hoping in time they will address this new X3 gen2.

And that's the issue - a line-out is not supposed to be a pre-amp.  It's more like a direct output.  No volume control.

May 21, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #3,624 of 9,972
  Rotate the opposite way - you'll start at Z

Also - try resorting your library into a folder system

A-C
D-F
G-I
etc

Then artist folders in next level down, then album folders.  Makes navigating a lot easier.

Great Idea, and thanx. My music is already in a artist/ folder hierarchy but without albums.... And... I completely forgot about " Lievan's" review...

May 21, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #3,625 of 9,972
DX90 does have variable implemented at the DAC level LO, Brooko.

And again - if it's labeled as a line-out, and it's variable - then its an exception (like I stated).  Most true line-outs are fixed. 

May 21, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #3,626 of 9,972

And again - if it's labeled as a line-out, and it's variable - then its an exception (like I stated).  Most true line-outs are fixed. 

I read ya, and understand completely. "Most true line-outs are fixed."....yes....in portable electronics...without a doubt.

Having a variable line out, while at the same time bypassing the amplifier circuity, is a win win IMO.

My goal is to have 1 piece of gear, the size of a deck of cards, that can go from portable to home by (plugging directly into a main amplifier) to a car (by plugging directly into a X-Over) all without a separate piece of gear (dedicated pre-amp) to muddle things up. 

May 21, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #3,627 of 9,972

Yes, it's the exception.

I read ya, and understand completely. "Most true line-outs are fixed."....yes....in portable electronics...without a doubt.

Having a variable line out, while at the same time bypassing the amplifier circuity, is a win win IMO.

My goal is to have 1 piece of gear, the size of a deck of cards, that can go from portable to home by (plugging directly into a main amplifier) to a car (by plugging directly into a X-Over) all without a separate piece of gear (dedicated pre-amp) to muddle things up. 

You're looking at an iBasso DAP, then.

May 21, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #3,628 of 9,972
  Anyone noticed any difference in sound with new firmware ? It will change for shure after some new firmware's like in old x3 ...

No, I haven't noticed any major difference. I'm sure it will be like the original X3 where the sound quality got better and better as firmware updates appeared. However I have to say that, with my best files, it's sounding pretty darn good as it is.

May 21, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #3,629 of 9,972

That's right! Gapless playback from CD image file has short gap.
Hopefully fixed in future firmware.

Overall the sound quality of X3II is simply fantastic! I'm really happy with X3II, excellent little player!

That's interesting as I'm currently playing an album that I ripped from a CD as ten WAV and FLAC files from ten musically continuous tracks and there are **NO** breaks whatsoever between the files (so far). (I'm playing the WAV files). I'm like you and would find even minute gaps unacceptable in such situations.

What I can't understand is why a single image of an album containing a number of musically continuous tracks would behave differently?

Can you play the image through some other audio player - like BOOM (a cut-down version of foobar2000) - and see if there are gaps in the playback there?

May 21, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #3,630 of 9,972

That's interesting as I'm currently playing an album that I ripped from a CD as ten WAV and FLAC files from ten musically continuous tracks and there are **NO** breaks whatsoever between the files (so far). (I'm playing the WAV files). I'm like you and would find even minute gaps unacceptable in such situations.

What I can't understand is why a single image of an album containing a number of musically continuous tracks would behave differently?

Can you play the image through some other audio player - like BOOM (a cut-down version of foobar2000) - and see if there are gaps in the playback there?

Playing many files one after the other is fine - there are no gaps.

Playing a single file that is indexed into many tracks with a .cue sheet - there are 0.5 second gaps between songs. A bummer for me as I have my entire CD collection ripped with EAC in this way. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back