The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Mar 24, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #1,247 of 9,972
Ask TheoS53. After reading here, and on E12A amp, many mention all the advantage using an amp with X3. It anhence sound sig, separation! E12A is for IEM
.... just read some thread!!! First, I will wait to get the DAP, and next I will see if it need a second amp or not!

Whilst I appreciate his opinion - unless you're driving a headphone or IEM that actually needs it, my own testing (volume matched and blind tested) would disagree.  I haven't had the chance to test with the E12A - just simply the amps I have access to.

Mar 24, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #1,248 of 9,972
  How is the E11k with the X3 2G?

Works fine with it.  What headphones are you using?  There won't be any real advantage unless you:

• Need a little more power
  • Happen to want the subtle bass boost hardware switch the E11K adds.

Mar 24, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #1,249 of 9,972

Whilst I appreciate his opinion - unless you're driving a headphone or IEM that actually needs it, my own testing (volume matched and blind tested) would disagree.  I haven't had the chance to test with the E12A - just simply the amps I have access to.

Agreed, Brooko. Tested Gen. 2 with and without E12A and found very slight improvement with amping, but only minimal (with IEMs and HD598, which are pretty easy to drive, and bass boost off). To me the difference is so small for most portable set-ups that the pocketability of the X3 Gen. 2 by itself outweighs any gain to be had through amping with the E12A. Am sure that goes out the window with more power hungry phones, but don't have any yet to test that out on.

Caveat to the above is that if you're a bass-head, the E12A with bass boost on does make a difference in the low end.

Mar 24, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #1,250 of 9,972

Agreed, Brooko. Tested Gen. 2 with and without E12A and found very slight improvement with amping, but only minimal (with IEMs and HD598, which are pretty easy to drive, and bass boost off). To me the difference is so small for most portable set-ups that the pocketability of the X3 Gen. 2 by itself outweighs any gain to be had through amping with the E12A. Am sure that goes out the window with more power hungry phones, but don't have any yet to test that out on.

Caveat to the above is that if you're a bass-head, the E12A with bass boost on does make a difference in the low end.

Thanks - and agree, some may prefer to have hardware EQ controls.  Problem is that going line-out to an amp cuts off accessibility to onboard EQ.  Personally I'd rather just use EQ than carry the extra amp - but can understand that other may prefer the alternative.

The expectation that an amp will magically improve sound stage, separation etc with very easy to drive IEMs / cans is the one I scratch my head at.

Mar 24, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #1,251 of 9,972

Works fine with it.  What headphones are you using?  There won't be any real advantage unless you:

• Need a little more power
  • Happen to want the subtle bass boost hardware switch the E11K adds.

Level On headphones

I want to get an amp that adds to sound and doesn't alter or deteriorate it, but is still neutral. Still deciding on whether to get the E11K, E12 or E12A.

Mar 24, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #1,252 of 9,972

Thanks - and agree, some may prefer to have hardware EQ controls.  Problem is that going line-out to an amp cuts off accessibility to onboard EQ.  Personally I'd rather just use EQ than carry the extra amp - but can understand that other may prefer the alternative.

The expectation that an amp will magically improve sound stage, separation etc with very easy to drive IEMs / cans is the one I scratch my head at.

I have found some benefit using the E12A with the X3 Gen. 1, but negligible difference with the Gen. 2.

Mar 24, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #1,253 of 9,972

Level On headphones

I want to get an amp that adds to sound and doesn't alter or deteriorate it, but is still neutral. Still deciding on whether to get the E11K, E12 or E12A.

They don't post much in the way of specs for those .....

All the info they give is impedance (32 ohms) - nothing on sensitivity.  Assuming they're designed to be used straight out of portable devices, I'd suggest you're going to get virtually no gain from adding an amp.  The X3ii should be able to handle your headphones with no issues.  Save your money - spend it on music 
wink.gif

Also - just a thought - these two statements contradict each other - worth thinking about what you really want .....
I want to get an amp that adds to sound
I want to get an amp that doesn't alter it

Mar 24, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #1,255 of 9,972

Agree! I will see later, in the long run if my W4r need more kick! But for now, i will wait to get my hand on this new toy first! I don't want my sound to be altered! :wink:

Thanks mates!

Mar 24, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #1,256 of 9,972

1. Need a little more power
  2. Happen to want the subtle bass boost hardware switch the E11K adds.

Hi brooko
Does adding e11k compromised se on the clarity of the x3 2g as I have read many review before that adding e12a to the x5 helps in boosting but it reduces the clarity of the music.

Mar 25, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #1,257 of 9,972
If you have a look at my review - you'll get an idea of how I organise the folders on my DAPs.

EG

I set my folders up onto 3 letter alphabet groups.  The # represents Artists starting with numbers (3 Doors Down, 10CC etc)

Under each "3 letter" folder (above is P to R), I have all the Artists belonging in that group

Under the Artist - I have Album folders

So it is very easy for me to scroll my entire library to find something rapidly without over-use fo the wheel.  it adds a few more clicks - but is pretty quick  once you get used to it.  So I use this for most of my browsing - in folder mode

If I want to shuffle - then I either use All Songs or Genre (in Category mode) - this requires pretty good tagging - especially for Genre.  If you group your music well, it negates the need for playlists sometimes.

I also advocate this approach but use:

Artist / Year Album / Songs

This way, each artist's albums are in chronological order in Folder Browsing mode.

Mar 25, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #1,258 of 9,972
Hi brooko
Does adding e11k compromised se on the clarity of the x3 2g as I have read many review before that adding e12a to the x5 helps in boosting but it reduces the clarity of the music.

Hi nimnz

I tested tonight for you.  X3ii alone, and X3ii + E11K

Tested with - HD600

Volume matched with a digital SPL meter to within 0.1 dB using a constant test tone @ 1kHz.  Test was sighted.

Sorry about the lighting on the photos - I have to build myself a lightbox one of these days!

I used half a dozen test tracks I'm very familiar with including Dire Straits "Sultans of Swing" - and pretty much put both combos through their paces for about 20 minutes.

I didn't notice any real difference.  Definitely nothing in the clarity department.  I was trying to concentrate really hard toward the end, and as I often do, closed my eyes during some passages.  After a lot of switches, I was getting to the stage that I'd forgotten which one was plugged - that's how close they were. About the only slight difference (and this could be imagined - it was so slight) - but in Adele's live performance of Turning Tables, the X3ii + E11K sounded very slightly smoother, less edge on vocals. It didn't appear in any other track, so I'm thinking it is my brain possibly looking for something that isn't present.

I don't think I'd be able to tell them apart with the HD600 if I was doing the test blind.

BTW - I find the E11K to be pretty neutral, and is a great addition to slightly weaker amps (like the one on the X1) if trying to drive a more difficult load.

Hope this helps

Mar 25, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #1,259 of 9,972
Hi nimnz

I tested tonight for you.  X3ii alone, and X3ii + E11K

Tested with - HD600

Volume matched with a digital SPL meter to within 0.1 dB using a constant test tone @ 1kHz.  Test was sighted.

Sorry about the lighting on the photos - I have to build myself a lightbox one of these days!

I used half a dozen test tracks I'm very familiar with including Dire Straits "Sultans of Swing" - and pretty much put both combos through their paces for about 20 minutes.

I didn't notice any real difference.  Definitely nothing in the clarity department.  I was trying to concentrate really hard toward the end, and as I often do, closed my eyes during some passages.  After a lot of switches, I was getting to the stage that I'd forgotten which one was plugged - that's how close they were. About the only slight difference (and this could be imagined - it was so slight) - but in Adele's live performance of Turning Tables, the X3ii + E11K sounded very slightly smoother, less edge on vocals. It didn't appear in any other track, so I'm thinking it is my brain possibly looking for something that isn't present.

I don't think I'd be able to tell them apart with the HD600 if I was doing the test blind.

BTW - I find the E11K to be pretty neutral, and is a great addition to slightly weaker amps (like the one on the X1) if trying to drive a more difficult load.

Hope this helps
Facinating test! Have you already test with the new E12A with the same DAP ? To see if something present, or better coming out of this X3K ? :wink:

I think personaly, if this DAP realy need something more xtra, it can get better with the E12A than E11K. IMO

Mar 25, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #1,260 of 9,972
I don't have the E12A - but for all of the IEMs I own, I don't need an amp anyway - so I'm unlikely to get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back