The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Aug 12, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #8,701 of 9,972
You know I have read this point made early and it may have predisposed me to articulate an aspect about the FiiO x3ii that I hadn't noticed prior.

I had described the sound difference between the x1 and the x3ii as significant, but not substantial.

However, this past week I had the privilege to rig the x3ii to the IMS Martin HVA amplifier and the significant difference became substantial/"amplified".  It seems that the x3ii really has a high potential to provide detail and richness that other audio equipment can bring out.  It was the first time I had heard that "airy" quality i have heard praised.  Just beautiful.  

I mean i only had sound magic e80's for earphones, but for the first time i found myself planning some serious listening sessions just lying down.

I got a pair of trinity audio phantom master 4's on preorder and I can't wait to try them out on the x3ii.

Aug 12, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #8,702 of 9,972
Is there a simple way to use my x3 2nd gen as a external DAC/amp for my android phone on the latest Fiio 2.0 firmware? I use a Nexus 6p, so stock marshmallow here.

I was planning on buying a separate e17 or 18 for my phone, but I remember my Fiio x3 might be able to serve that purpose instead.

Aug 13, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #8,703 of 9,972
Is there a simple way to use my x3 2nd gen as a external DAC/amp for my android phone on the latest Fiio 2.0 firmware? I use a Nexus 6p, so stock marshmallow here.

I was planning on buying a separate e17 or 18 for my phone, but I remember my Fiio x3 might be able to serve that purpose instead.

Actually some of our users told us that our X3 1st gen can as a external DAC& amp for his phone, but we always suggest our friends to use the X3 and X3II as external DAC & AMP for the PC.

If you are interested ,you can try it by yourself, but we are not sure it will work or not.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 13, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #8,704 of 9,972
Actually some of our users told us that our X3 1st gen can as a external DAC& amp for his phone, but we always suggest our friends to use the X3 and X3II as external DAC & AMP for the PC.

If you are interested ,you can try it by yourself, but we are not sure it will work or not.

Thanks! I actually already ordered a cable and will report my findings when it comes in.

Aug 13, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #8,705 of 9,972
Hi guys,

I've zeroed in on buying the Beyerdynamnic DT770 Pro 80 ohms or 250 ohms..
I'll also be purchasing the Fiio X3 2nd gen, and will go for the 250 ohm headphone only if the Fiio can drive it ..
Anyone have an idea if the Fiio x3 2nd gen can drive the 250 ohm version of the headphone?

I know the specs say it's optimized to support till 150 ohm headphones, but have also read on one of these posts that they drive the dt770 250 ohm version as well.

Thanks

Aug 13, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #8,706 of 9,972
Hi! Please help me, everytime i try to upgrade my fiio x3-ii i get the message that "upgrade file is corrupted"
My current firmware is 1.1 which was default, and i downloaded official firmwares, but none of them works. Maybe there's a way to download 1.2 firmware anywhere, cause i've heard that you should install them one by one, so maybe the problem is that the first available firmware is 1.3, not 1.2? 
UPD: i've tried to install 1.11 beta, but it also didn't work, same message "upgrade file is corrupted". I've got a sony 16gb micro sd card, SR-16UY

Aug 13, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #8,707 of 9,972
  Hi! Please help me, everytime i try to upgrade my fiio x3-ii i get the message that "upgrade file is corrupted"
My current firmware is 1.1 which was default, and i downloaded official firmwares, but none of them works. Maybe there's a way to download 1.2 firmware anywhere, cause i've heard that you should install them one by one, so maybe the problem is that the first available firmware is 1.3, not 1.2? 
UPD: i've tried to install 1.11 beta, but it also didn't work, same message "upgrade file is corrupted". I've got a sony 16gb micro sd card, SR-16UY

Perhaps you should try another card.  Make sure it's formatted in fat32.  I recently tried to upgrade and had issues.  Turned out the card was corrupted.  You do not have to upgrade in steps.  You can go straight to the latest fw or go back to the first without issues.  You might also try resetting to the factory defaults and attempt to update again.  I'd try a different card first before getting crazy.  If you still can't update the fw after that, then contact FiiO.

ETA: 2.0 is the latest fw for the X3II.

Aug 13, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #8,708 of 9,972

Hi guys,

I've zeroed in on buying the Beyerdynamnic DT770 Pro 80 ohms or 250 ohms..
I'll also be purchasing the Fiio X3 2nd gen, and will go for the 250 ohm headphone only if the Fiio can drive it ..
Anyone have an idea if the Fiio x3 2nd gen can drive the 250 ohm version of the headphone?

I know the specs say it's optimized to support till 150 ohm headphones, but have also read on one of these posts that they drive the dt770 250 ohm version as well.

Thanks

I'd go with the 80 ohm version if I were you.  I'd say the X3's rating is fairly accurate in terms of what it can drive.  Of course there is always the option of pairing it with an amp if you really wanted the 250 ohm Beyer.

You shouldn't have to upgrade one by one, go straight to 2.0.  There's no difference when it comes to flashing firmware.

I would try another microSD card if I were you.  Fiio is pretty finicky with some MicroSD cards when it comes to flashing firmware

Aug 14, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #8,709 of 9,972
I'd go with the 80 ohm version if I were you.  I'd say the X3's rating is fairly accurate in terms of what it can drive.  Of course there is always the option of pairing it with an amp if you really wanted the 250 ohm Beyer.

Thanks for your advice..
I'd be thinking about going with the 80 ohm version then.. only that the're a bit bass heavy from what I've heard and also don't come with a coiled cable like the 250 ohm version does..

Nonetheless, can't think of a reason why Fiio dropped the impedance output to 16-150 ohm on the X3 ii whereas the X3 first gen had an impedance rating of 16-300 ohm!

Aug 14, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #8,711 of 9,972
Have been having a good read of this thread...

I am strongly considering purchasing an X3ii - my current portable setup is Galaxy S6 > Q-Jays v 2.0

This is a pretty dull sounding setup unless using Poweramp with some EQ or an external amp/DAC.

I had tried the Dragonfly Red (sounded good, not great) but I got annoyed with the shoddy Android support so I sold this on.... Currently I have been using an old Fiio E6 which gives the Jays a good kick but is a PITA to carry around and there is audible hiss and the occasional drop out.....

So I have now been considering ditching the smartphone as source and using a DAP. Still have 12 months left on phone contract so no real option to switch phones for a while.

The DAC in the S6 seems half decent but I think the amp is very poor. 

Anyone compared the X3ii with the Galaxy S6??? Would general consensus be that the X3ii would better my current setup?

Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated!

Aug 14, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #8,712 of 9,972

I am strongly considering purchasing an X3ii - my current portable setup is Galaxy S6 > Q-Jays v 2.0

This is a pretty dull sounding setup unless using Poweramp with some EQ or an external amp/DAC.

I had tried the Dragonfly Red (sounded good, not great) but I got annoyed with the shoddy Android support so I sold this on.... Currently I have been using an old Fiio E6 which gives the Jays a good kick but is a PITA to carry around and there is audible hiss and the occasional drop out.....

So I have now been considering ditching the smartphone as source and using a DAP. Still have 12 months left on phone contract so no real option to switch phones for a while.

Anyone compared the X3ii with the Galaxy S6??? Would general consensus be that the X3ii would better my current setup?

Do you have the opportunity to do a side-by-side comparison of a dedicated DAP and your current setup? It's just the best way to answer to this question.
I would say that the general consensus is that the X3II and other good quality DAPs are far better soundwise than a smartphone setup. But it comes with a cost of having to carry an extra gadget, one that (in the case of X1,X3ii, X5, etc.), has a somewhat disappointing user interface etc. 

Aug 14, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #8,713 of 9,972

it sounds like you are looking for a warmer sound based on your statements about EQing with poweramp and on the E6.  I don't think the X3ii is going to give you the sound you want.  The X1 would be closer in terms of having a warmer sound, but even then, it's not as bassy and muddy as the E6.

I personally like the UI of the X series very much.  It's fairly straightfoward, customizable, and fully functional.

Aug 14, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #8,714 of 9,972

Seeing as how you have invested in Q-jays v 2.0 I recommend the x3ii at least.  I don't think the x1 has the ability to allow the q-jay to bring out the detail that the x3ii allows it to.  The warmth from my x1 congested the detail that my x3ii brought out.  I would almost suggested going higher in DAP quality, but I think if you start out with the x3ii, you will be in good shape as well as maintaining good portability and having the DAC option.

Aug 15, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #8,715 of 9,972
  it sounds like you are looking for a warmer sound based on your statements about EQing with poweramp and on the E6.  I don't think the X3ii is going to give you the sound you want.  The X1 would be closer in terms of having a warmer sound, but even then, it's not as bassy and muddy as the E6.

I personally like the UI of the X series very much.  It's fairly straightfoward, customizable, and fully functional.

Hi EinTheVariance - not necessarily a warmer sound, I actually quite liked the DF Reds fairly neutral tones. It's detail was excellent and it's amp drove the IEMs much better that the S6. Without it, I use some EQ and Poweramp in a vain effort to boost the S6's appalling amp... Thanks for your input!

Do you have the opportunity to do a side-by-side comparison of a dedicated DAP and your current setup? It's just the best way to answer to this question.
I would say that the general consensus is that the X3II and other good quality DAPs are far better soundwise than a smartphone setup. But it comes with a cost of having to carry an extra gadget, one that (in the case of X1,X3ii, X5, etc.), has a somewhat disappointing user interface etc. 

Hi Mellowship unlikely I will be able to find time to test out DAPs. Thanks for the advice and the heads up that a standalone DAP should sound better. Totally understand your point about the extra luggage and GUI... 

Seeing as how you have invested in Q-jays v 2.0 I recommend the x3ii at least.  I don't think the x1 has the ability to allow the q-jay to bring out the detail that the x3ii allows it to.  The warmth from my x1 congested the detail that my x3ii brought out.  I would almost suggested going higher in DAP quality, but I think if you start out with the x3ii, you will be in good shape as well as maintaining good portability and having the DAC option.

Thanks Indigo Bob! Currently my wallet would have to dictate that the x3ii would be the upper limit of my budget.... Out of curiousity which higher end DAPs would you recommend???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back