The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Apr 10, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #7,771 of 9,972
  This is where sound can be subjective ! 
I think you are right Brooko, the X3II might not be my cup of tea, just like the DX80 (I shall avoid Cirrus Dacs). I need something warmer and slightly colored, which is somewhat hard to find in the sub $500, I was very happy with the RWAK100 and still have regrets when I sold it to purchase the HM802/Minibox combo. I'm travelling to Hong Kong in June, I shall find something that I really like.

I would find there to be a very serious problem with a DAC over $500 that was warm and colored. That would mean it's poorly made and when you are spending $500+ on a DAC, colored is the last thing you want.

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #7,772 of 9,972

I would find there to be a very serious problem with a DAC over $500 that was warm and colored. That would mean it's poorly made and when you are spending $500+ on a DAC, colored is the last thing you want.

To be fair, we're seeing a lot more DACs with choices on filters nowadays, and that includes roll-offs in the upper treble, which tend to give a tinge of warmth. I've seen many linear DACs criticised as sounding to "digital". I guess I'm a bit like you - I prefer flat, but I know a lot of people who do prefer an organic tinge of warmth.  Each to their own I guess.

There is no right and wrong when it comes to personal choice.

Apr 10, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #7,773 of 9,972
I know everyone has the right to voice their opinions / preferences.  In this case though, I think we should temper it with a little perspective.

1. X3ii has never had USB DAC out of the box (I assume your are talking Windows - as Linux and Mac should recognise it automatically).  But neither does any other high res player.  The Windows stacks automatic generic drivers (that I've seen anyway) are pretty much limited to a 96 sample rate.  In order to provide DSD and high res support - you must load a secondary driver.  This is the same for all high res DAPs which can be used as DACs.  Nothing new here - so why should this be a disappointment - it is the norm.

2. OTG - if you don't really use it - why is it helpful in some way?  I can understand why others miss it - but I don't use it, and it has zero influence for me.  Your reason was confusing.  You either use it or your don't.

3. I found your pairing one interesting.  I also have the X1 and X3ii.  They both measure flat.  Because there are no peaks - sibilance can't be accentuated by the DAP.  And so that you know - sibilance is in the recording.  An earphone - depending on it's frequency response will either accentuate, portay normally, or mask the recordings pre-existing sibilance. The DAP (as long as it is presenting linearly) will have no influence whatsoever.

Further - both X1 and X3ii have very low output impedance, so it own't be damping related. are you using the exact same recordings, with no EQ, and exactly volume matched when you compare both DAPs? Have you compared blind (had someone else do the switching).  I'd suggest you try it sometime (exactly same files/tracks, completely volume matched).  The results may surprise you.

I can only relate my own experiences - but the X3ii to me is anything but picky.  It plays well with everything.

One thing you might like to try as an alternate - is looking at the E17K.  It has a very neutral amp section, gives you tone controls and other features, helps extend the battery life, and (IMO anyway) pairs very nicely with the X3ii.  It's DAC is driverless - so that'll solve your problem with your Win machine (using it standalone with the Win machine).  If you think sibilance is highlighted (I can't see how it could be - but this would solve it anyway), just dial the treble down -2.

Just to be clair, E17k is an Amp & Dac, and E12a is an Amp only, right ? I was thinking if X3ii have a good Amp & Dac section, why the need for a second Dac ? Why recommended him an E17k rather E12 or E12a ? Is E17k have a better or more neutral Amp section than the E12a ? This means For my X3, the 17k will pairing well better ?

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #7,774 of 9,972
I rarely rip CDs, I mostly buy from HD Tracks and Qobuz, so I assume that most albums I own have been perfectly remastered. I'm mostly into jazz, metal, chillout, neo metal, vocals and psychedelic rock

I've mistaken again saying that the dap is sibilant, english is not my native language (I'm french) so I can mix up words in a wrong way, but for sure it makes bright headphones sibilant.

Paired with the E11k there will be no more sibilances and everything is much more enjoyable, I don't know if it's just something to do with impedance matching or gain settings, but this artefact happens when unamped.

Maybe a burn in cable is needed and 100hrs can get it fixed, or any other solution ? I'm very open to try up things and invest when needed

Oui, comme j'ai déjà suggéré plus haut, surement un "Burning Cable" serait utile! (Comme sur les iBasso)

XD

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #7,775 of 9,972
Just to be clear, E17k is an Amp & Dac, and E12a is an Amp only, right ? I was thinking if X3ii have a good Amp & Dac section, why the need for a second Dac ? Why recommended him an E17k rather E12 or E12a ? Is E17k have a better or more neutral Amp section than the E12a ? This means For my X3, the 17k will pairing well better ?

Yes - E17K is an amp and DAC - which is precisely why I was recommending it.

• His comment was that he wanted a DAC with no hassle to install (the E17K is driverless) for his PC. I wasn't recommending using the E17Ks DAC with the X3ii.
  • It also doubles as a very good amp - and he could use that with the X3ii.
  • It has tone controls so it is easy to dial in a little warmth that he is after - either by dropping the treble or increasing the bass
  • It costs about the same as the E12A, but has a lot more features.

For his purposes I thought it would be an ideal fit. For yours - I don't know - it depends on what you are looking for.  Probably easiest thing to do is read my review on the E17K - it'll give you some ideas regarding it's features and power output.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-e17k-alpen-2-usb-dac-headphone-amplifier/reviews/15014

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #7,776 of 9,972
Thank you Brooko, I think that my previous comment needs some clarification :

1. When I mean out of the box : I meant installing the driver, changing some settings and voila ! But, it didn't worked with the driver and Joe did mentioned a compatibility issue, this is why he provided the link to upgrade on the fw1.4beta first then install the latest driver. My problem was solved but needed a little patience of some days :blush: Please note that I also own a Mac and it works flawlessly since day 1, but as I use my Windows 10 machine everyday at the office, this issue really bothered me.

2. OTG is not important for me, but always helpful to have it when needed. I consider this feature as a big plus.

3. I won't argue with you on the sound differences between X1 and X3II, but my ears found the X1 to be a lot more warmer and offers better compatibility with my headphones. I'm not joking on the fact that my favorite on ear headphones (Xiaomi Mi Headphones) sounds very very bad on the X3II. If you don't know these headphones, just get into the dedicated thread, it's one of the best in the sub $100 range and pairs perfectly with every smartphone and idevices

4. Without an amp, the X3II can be very sibilant with some headphones, maybe my unit is faulty? That would explain a lot of things !

check on which gain settings your fiio x3ii on, im not entirely sure, but it seems to me the High Gain setting is more bright while the Low gain is more neutral with warmer sound.

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #7,777 of 9,972

check on which gain settings your fiio x3ii on, im not entirely sure, but it seems to me the High Gain setting is more bright while the Low gain is more neutral with warmer sound.

Both are dead flat - I've measured them.

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #7,778 of 9,972

To be fair, we're seeing a lot more DACs with choices on filters nowadays, and that includes roll-offs in the upper treble, which tend to give a tinge of warmth. I've seen many linear DACs criticised as sounding to "digital". I guess I'm a bit like you - I prefer flat, but I know a lot of people who do prefer an organic tinge of warmth.  Each to their own I guess.

There is no right and wrong when it comes to personal choice.

I prefer flat from the DAC and then I can tailor the sound using the headphones and/or the EQ. I'm looking into getting a new set of cans for portable use. Right now the choices are between Grado Prestige SR80e or Sennheiser HD598. Which cans do you (and anyone else who wants to comment) think are better for use with a X3II?

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #7,779 of 9,972
Don't worry about the DAP - what are you looking for (attributes of the can) in the headphones?  the two you've chosen couldn't be more different.

HD598 - supremely comfortable, wide sound stage, can be a bit grainy in the upper end, relatively balanced though, over ear fit, feels like you are a few rows back in an auditorium
SR80 - narrow sound stage, very open, edgy, exciting, on-ear fit, pretty uncomfortable, excel at rock and acoustics, on the bright side of the spectrum, feels like you are on stage with the musicians

The two are chalk and cheese

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #7,780 of 9,972

I prefer flat from the DAC and then I can tailor the sound using the headphones and/or the EQ. I'm looking into getting a new set of cans for portable use. Right now the choices are between Grado Prestige SR80e or Sennheiser HD598. Which cans do you (and anyone else who wants to comment) think are better for use with a X3II?

im using Grado sr80e and it sounds great with my fiio x3ii, however its not exactly (portable).. the safer choice would be Sennheiser HD598( unless you listen a lot to metal and rock, then Grado all the way!!)

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #7,781 of 9,972

im using Grado sr80e and it sounds great with my fiio x3ii, however its not exactly (portable).. the safer choice would be Sennheiser HD598( unless you listen a lot to metal and rock, then Grado all the way!!)

I'm listening to all kinds of music. So a well rounded headphone is what I want. My current portable headphone is the Koss PortaPro. I've been using the PortaPro for about 10 years. I think it's time for a change.

Apr 10, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #7,782 of 9,972
I created this for myself, I was annoyed by the unnecessary icons on the top bar. I eliminated the speaker icon and the "G=" and modify the SD card reader to just show up when there is no card or there is an error in the card. Also, I moved the volume number a little bit away from the border. Please let me know if anyone is interested and I will upload, it is based on 1.4 (OTG anybody?).

Thanks to x RELIC x for all the help.

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #7,785 of 9,972
Ok, based on 1.4, subtle changes but to me it makes the difference:

1) Bigger font (E.G. converted everything from 12 to 14, 14 to 16 and so on).
2) Got rid of the speaker icon (useless to me)
3) Got rid of "G=" (useless)
4) SD card in icon removed, SD out and SD error remained.
5) Move the volume number away from the border after removing the speaker icon.

Looks very good to me, here is the link:

https://goo.gl/9V2Ryt

Hopefully the link will work, let me know otherwise. Enjoy.

Edit: 6) Sleep time on icon relocated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back