The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Jun 12, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #7,143 of 7,793
  Have you got the theme to work? I've tried - the same way I got FW 2.0 to work - but can't get it installed...? No doubt I'm doing something wrong...

Yes, I'm running my on X1 with this FW. 

Installation process............

1. Extract the X1.fw from the .7z file.

2. Copy it in the root directory of your memory card.

3. follow the usual fw upgrade process as you have done earlier. 

let me know if this works. 

Jun 12, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #7,145 of 7,793
Kekeke seems like a fun idea.. Wishing the M3 get as much love too

Jun 12, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #7,146 of 7,793
Hi,

I'm a new member, so I can't post new threads to this forum. Hopefully this question is close enough to the subject of the thread to be okay.

I've noticed in the early days of using the Fiio X1 (Which I bought recently) that something like this happens frequently:

I pause it to use the bathroom or take a shower or any number of things, and then when I power it back on, it's lost my place. For example, if I am shuffling songs by genre, it's not longer in that genre, it's no longer on that song, it's no longer sort of got a record of the last few songs listened to if I hit back or forward, etc..

I'd rather come back to find it on the song I left it on in the place I left in (Remembering if I'm listening to an album in order, shuffling a particular genre, whatever).

I have a feeling that my answer lays somewhere in the realm of managing the settings to get my desired behavior.

What settings modifications do I need to make?

I am on firmware 1.6. If the official stable version of firmware 1.7 is out, I'm willing to upgrade if that'll help me. It just wasn't out when I got the thing in the mail a week or two ago (Heard it was coming soon).

Jun 12, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #7,147 of 7,793
I am on firmware 1.6. If the official stable version of firmware 1.7 is out, I'm willing to upgrade if that'll help me. It just wasn't out when I got the thing in the mail a week or two ago (Heard it was coming soon).

Just a few days ago fiio launched his final firmware for X1. Here is the link.

Jun 12, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #7,148 of 7,793
Hi,

I'm a new member, so I can't post new threads to this forum. Hopefully this question is close enough to the subject of the thread to be okay.

I've noticed in the early days of using the Fiio X1 (Which I bought recently) that something like this happens frequently:

I pause it to use the bathroom or take a shower or any number of things, and then when I power it back on, it's lost my place. For example, if I am shuffling songs by genre, it's not longer in that genre, it's no longer on that song, it's no longer sort of got a record of the last few songs listened to if I hit back or forward, etc..

I'd rather come back to find it on the song I left it on in the place I left in (Remembering if I'm listening to an album in order, shuffling a particular genre, whatever).

I have a feeling that my answer lays somewhere in the realm of managing the settings to get my desired behavior.

What settings modifications do I need to make?

There is an option to what you want. You just have to go to Play Settings (4th icon on main screen) -> Resume mode (2nd option)
Now you have 3 different settings:
  1. Off - Whenever you turn on the player you go to the main screen like nothing happened before
  2. Song - When you turn on the player it goes to the song where you were before, from the beginning. It also locates you on the folder/category you were before
  3. Position - Same as the song mode but this time it memorizes the position of the track where you were before and starts from there.

Firmware update instructions

The latest firmware available is the 2.0. You just have to follow these steps:
  • Download the firmware here. You also have the whole list of FiiO firmwares here.
  • Place the "x1.fw" file on the root of your microSD card.
  • Instead of turning the player on manually, press the Menu button (upper left button from the X group) while pressing the Power button and it should turn on and starting to update. As soon as you see the update text, you can let go of the buttons.
  • Wait and be amazed xD

These instructions are also included when you download the firmware.

Any problems you have please do tell and i'll help you with everything i can. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #7,151 of 7,793
That's what i'm saying :wink: . The X1 seems to be so optimized i just don't see what they can do more at this price range. The X3ii would be my next choice. But i guess we'll see :)

Just as someone new to it, I can think of a few things that are missing that I would like to see on an x1. If they can meet the same price point, I might even buy the thing before this wears out (I usually wear out devices until they break before replacing them). I don't know how expensive these things would be to do, but:

- Faster UI response to large libraries. I have over 15,000 songs on a 200 gig microSD card. Things load vary slowly when I select a given genre or a large list of songs, or hit back and have to go to that screen, even if I just intend to hit back a second or third time to get to the main menu- sometimes I'm waiting like 30 seconds and just reboot the thing because that's faster (Seriously).

Now, this device came out years before 200 gig microSD cards were even a thing, so I can't blame the developers, *but* an upgraded player could officially support larger microSD cards and add to the processor or the RAM or whatever it is that would need to be added to in order to make the UI faster and more responsive, and that would be awesome.

- Longer battery life. The Sony Walkman A15 and A17 and their successors all offer 50 hours of battery life playing MP3 and ACC, with 30 hours playing audiophile formats. I don't know what the cost of batteries are, but a longer battery life would be helpful. This is rated at 12 hours and doesn't last nearly that when I'm using it. :) I like the idea that when I am away from chargers or if there's a power outage or whatever, I know I've got my music for the duration. This is one area where a portable media player can beat a smartphone big time- and it can be advertised to people that way.

- Some sort of SenseMe (Sony) of Genius (Apple) type feature. Basically, the Sony version creates endless shuffled playlists automatically by analyzing a song's tempo based on the file attributes itself, and even has automatic playlists for every time of day (morning, daytime, evening, night, midnight mix). Doesn't matter what you feed it, no matter how obscure, it is just analyzing tempo, so it can place every new song in a list. The Apple version is more matching songs it recognizes to other similar songs it recognizes based on the actual names of the songs and artists, I think. Either one, or just something similar that is Fiio's own idea would be cool.

- Separate dedicated podcast support.

- Optional integration with some sort of PC media software. It'd be nice if people have the option of maintaining songs and playlists on something like Apple's iTunes, Windows Media Player, Sony MediaGo, or whatever. I am not saying specifically it'd have to be one of those things, but since we are plugging this into the PC anyway to put new songs on it, some sort of media software would be cool. Fiio could either design it's own, or just make the player compatible with software that allows third-party integration (I know iTunes doesn't allow that, but Windows Media Player does, and some others do.). Of course, people would still be able to do things manually with the files if they want without the use of the software- it'd just be optional.

- Water resistance and durability. Haven't had any problems there so far (I've only had the thing a little while), but I've had a fair number of electronic device take water damage and get ruined historically. Everyone likes whatever resistance in their phones. Drop protection, too. Fiio awesomely includes a case and screen protectors for free with every purchase (And stickers), so that helps. Can't really say how durable this is intrinsically, though- and I'm not going to drop my device repeatedly on purpose to test it (Obviously :) ), but added durability is always a plus (Even if it turns out to be somewhat durable to begin with).

Jun 12, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #7,152 of 7,793
 Just a few days ago fiio launched his final firmware for X1. Here is the link.

There is an option to what you want. You just have to go to Play Settings (4th icon on main screen) -> Resume mode (2nd option)
Now you have 3 different settings:
  • Off - Whenever you turn on the player you go to the main screen like nothing happened before
  • Song - When you turn on the player it goes to the song where you were before, from the beginning. It also locates you on the folder/category you were before
  • Position - Same as the song mode but this time it memorizes the position of the track where you were before and starts from there.

Firmware update instructions

The latest firmware available is the 2.0. You just have to follow these steps:
  1. Download the firmware here. You also have the whole list of FiiO firmwares here.
  2. Place the "x1.fw" file on the root of your microSD card.
  3. Instead of turning the player on manually, press the Menu button (upper left button from the X group) while pressing the Power button and it should turn on and starting to update. As soon as you see the update text, you can let go of the buttons.
  4. Wait and be amazed xD

These instructions are also included when you download the firmware.

Any problems you have please do tell and i'll help you with everything i can. :)  

Thanks! Will try changing the settings right away. :)

I downloaded the new firmware to my PC, but will have to wait until I have time, because I know sometimes that sort of thing can take a while, and you risk maybe having to recopy your whole collection of music if something goes wrong, etc., and I plan to use the device while walking my dog in like a half hour. :) So, I'm being cautious with that. But I definitely will upgrade the firmware one day soon (Maybe today- depends on how things go). :) It's great that Fiio is still working on new optimizations for this product (Even if this is the last new firmware). :)

Jun 12, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #7,153 of 7,793
Just as someone new to it, I can think of a few things that are missing that I would like to see on an x1. If they can meet the same price point, I might even buy the thing before this wears out (I usually wear out devices until they break before replacing them). I don't know how expensive these things would be to do, but:

- Faster UI response to large libraries. I have over 15,000 songs on a 200 gig microSD card. Things load vary slowly when I select a given genre or a large list of songs, or hit back and have to go to that screen, even if I just intend to hit back a second or third time to get to the main menu- sometimes I'm waiting like 30 seconds and just reboot the thing because that's faster (Seriously).

Now, this device came out years before 200 gig microSD cards were even a thing, so I can't blame the developers, *but* an upgraded player could officially support larger microSD cards and add to the processor or the RAM or whatever it is that would need to be added to in order to make the UI faster and more responsive, and that would be awesome.

- Longer battery life. The Sony Walkman A15 and A17 and their successors all offer 50 hours of battery life playing MP3 and ACC, with 30 hours playing audiophile formats. I don't know what the cost of batteries are, but a longer battery life would be helpful. This is rated at 12 hours and doesn't last nearly that when I'm using it.
smily_headphones1.gif
I like the idea that when I am away from chargers or if there's a power outage or whatever, I know I've got my music for the duration. This is one area where a portable media player can beat a smartphone big time- and it can be advertised to people that way.

- Some sort of SenseMe (Sony) of Genius (Apple) type feature. Basically, the Sony version creates endless shuffled playlists automatically by analyzing a song's tempo based on the file attributes itself, and even has automatic playlists for every time of day (morning, daytime, evening, night, midnight mix). Doesn't matter what you feed it, no matter how obscure, it is just analyzing tempo, so it can place every new song in a list. The Apple version is more matching songs it recognizes to other similar songs it recognizes based on the actual names of the songs and artists, I think. Either one, or just something similar that is Fiio's own idea would be cool.

- Separate dedicated podcast support.

- Optional integration with some sort of PC media software. It'd be nice if people have the option of maintaining songs and playlists on something like Apple's iTunes, Windows Media Player, Sony MediaGo, or whatever. I am not saying specifically it'd have to be one of those things, but since we are plugging this into the PC anyway to put new songs on it, some sort of media software would be cool. Fiio could either design it's own, or just make the player compatible with software that allows third-party integration (I know iTunes doesn't allow that, but Windows Media Player does, and some others do.). Of course, people would still be able to do things manually with the files if they want without the use of the software- it'd just be optional.

- Water resistance and durability. Haven't had any problems there so far (I've only had the thing a little while), but I've had a fair number of electronic device take water damage and get ruined historically. Everyone likes whatever resistance in their phones. Drop protection, too. Fiio awesomely includes a case and screen protectors for free with every purchase (And stickers), so that helps. Can't really say how durable this is intrinsically, though- and I'm not going to drop my device repeatedly on purpose to test it (Obviously
smily_headphones1.gif
), but added durability is always a plus (Even if it turns out to be somewhat durable to begin with).

Wow lol a lot of features. I see your point honestly but here's what i think:

Well firstly you got a 200GB card working on an X1? Just curious since they announced that they support a maximum of 128GB (maybe that's why).
Anyway i can tell you that the new firmware is more responsive, it's faster, but for 15000 songs i can't really assure you nothing 
confused.gif
 although, and i'm talking from personal experience, performance while listing and reading files is also severely affected by the performance of the card itself. For example i have a card that has a maximum reading speed of 90MB/s.
Still, I doubt that this is your problem since a 200GB card is likely to have a good reading speed as well. I've never experienced this trouble but, from what you say, this is a problem to solve for someone with such a large library. I'm not sure about the price range though but i just don't know anything about this so i won't speculate too.

That said, I can see the urge to improve the processor or ram, but that will mess with the battery too, since it would need more juice.
I can see your examples with both the sony walkman A15 and A17 but they are on a different price range. At this price, from what i saw, it's hard to beat. Battery life could also be controlled with an amp. But of course this is not a solution, it's more like a work around.
Honestly, i think the battery life is more than enough since you can charge it and still play music at the same time. The only thing i have to do is to manage it so i know that at the moments that i can't charge it i will have more than plenty.

Intelligent playlists, i agree with that, it would be a great feature, but that doesn't really brings the need of a new model, i think this could be done in the firmware. Same with dedicated podcast support.

As for the optional integration with some sort of media software, you don't really need a plugin for this. Many softwares treat removal media as media libraries for players. Windows Media Player does this too but if you need an advanced tool, i suggest MediaMonkey. It has everything lol seriously. Auto-sync, folder sorting, you name it. All you have to do is connect the sd card to the PC.

Lastly, durability and water proof. Well, personally i don't feel the need of water proof. But i see the price of the phones that have this and it's not exactly cheap. Reason being water proofing electronics is not like water proofing a watch. Especially if you have input buttons and slots and also output jacks.
Also i think this player, because of the metal casing, it's like a tank!

I can see your points clearly, i think there's no problem for FiiO to add some features to the software but to the hardware is really really hard to do it without touching the price. Just a thought though, i consider some of your points valid 
redface.gif

Jun 12, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #7,154 of 7,793
Wow lol a lot of features. I see your point honestly but here's what i think:

Well firstly you got a 200GB card working on an X1?

Yes. I can confirm that it is working and that I haven't noticed any apparent functionality issues other than UI speed issues during the short time I've been using it. It looks like, at least as of firmware 1.6, that there was no hard-coded firmware or software limit in terms of SD card capacity (Or at least that if there is, it's more than I'm using).

A few caveats:

1. As one might imagine, the UI lags considerably with this large a card, as mentioned earlier in the thread.

2. I am not sure that I actually have more than the formatted capacity of a 128 gig card's worth of music on it right now, so even though it is a 200 gig card, I am not sure yet whether I'll run into any issues whenever I "cross the threshold" or start using up way more than a 128 gig card could hold. Basically, I was very close to the limit of my 128 gig card in another company's player, which was slowing down (In fact, I was over the 128 gig limit with my phone and had to delete files off that card- the Walkman was optimized more because I was syncing with a media manager that wasn't bringing over, say, PDF liner notes and such). The player broke (With the card it was using being damaged), so I ordered a 200 gig card with this knowing that I would need the capacity shortly.

I actually probably am above the formatted capacity of 128 gig card capacity because I am just copying my music directory (Which was above the formatted capacity of a 128 gig card when used on my phone, forcing me to leave some music off the phone) using a simple syncing tool- but not by much (Yet). So, I don't know if it'll work with 150 gigs or 170 gigs of music. But it works with what's on it now. The player recognizes the 200 gig card and everything.

3. This may make no difference, but just to be thorough- I'm using it for lossy MP3 and AAC files. So, I haven't tested it with FLAC or any other lossless formats, which I assume is what most here would use since this is an audiophile forum. I don't see why that would make a difference with the SD card capacity (Assuming the same size card and total space used), but I'm not an expert.

4. I've only been using it for a little while, so I haven't tested every possible feature or use scenario with it yet. I can just say that it works as expected so far with what I've done so far.

For those who may be wondering, it is a SanDisk card (I will try to get a model # if anyone requests one and thinks it makes a difference and wants to order an identical card).

Just curious since they announced that they support a maximum of 128GB (maybe that's why).

Yeah, I'll admit, I ordered it with my fingers crossed. If the card hadn't worked, I would have put the new 200 gig card in my phone (Which advertises being able to handle up to 200gig microsd cards) and transferred my old 128 gig card I am using on my phone to the player. But I'd rather have all my songs with my music player and use the phone for a cut down version of my collection if I can't have them all on both, all things being equal. I figure the music player is there for the music, you know? :)

I can see your examples with both the sony walkman A15 and A17 but they are on a different price range.

Yeah, true. They just jumped to mind because the Walkman was my previous music player. Basically, I used a string of iPod Classics, replacing them as they broke. Of course, one day, they were discontinued, so when the next one broke, I had to buy something else and I chose a Walkman A15 with a 128gig microSD card.

I didn't mind the Walkman, but the problem I was running into with replacing it with another one when it broke was basically financial. That's a $220 player, plus the cost of a microSD card. I've had a ton of things break recently, and other more pressing non-technological life issues, that have required me to go into debt on a low income and I just couldn't justify adding much more debt at this time. The X1 was more financially reasonable for me at $99 plus the cost of a microSD card. Additionally, the fact that neither player was listed as supporting a 200gig microSD card cut in the X1's favor in the sense that I didn't want to buy the more expensive Walkman player and risk it not holding all my music very shortly. I figured if I had to take the risk with one player or the other, better the less expensive one- that way if it didn't do quite what I wanted, I could justify it to myself based on price *and* it'd be less prohibitive for me to upgrade early later, potentially, because I didn't spend big on this (Although $99 is a lot of money in *some* ways- it's just not relative to the market for other high capacity players).

If money were no object, I would say that the Walkman is the better player overall, but obviously we are comparing apples to oranges- the X1 is less than half the price. :)

I did have kind of a cool nostalgic moment or two when I first held the X1 in my hands and started playing it. It's physically much more similar on the outside to the old iPod Classics I have warm memories of than the Walkman was. I hope they keep a similar look when and if they put out an upgraded model. :)

I can see your points clearly, i think there's no problem for FiiO to add some features to the software but to the hardware is really really hard to do it without touching the price.

You may be right. I don't know what the market price (or the negotiated price a business can get on mass orders of parts) of the core components are. However, in general, as a consumer I noticed a long time ago I could for a long time buy a better computer than the last one I had for the same price as time passed and technology advanced (Seems like that may be changing now for whatever reason, but it was true for a long time). Same thing with phones (Still true for phones, though). Technology advances and it's expensive at first, but comes down in cost, and old parts stop being made, etc.. So, in theory, maybe like batteries are cheaper per unit of electricity now over all, so an upgraded X1 might be able to have a better battery at the same cost to the business and to the consumer. Or, maybe, they can get 20% more RAM for the same price as the current amount was two years ago. That sort of thing.

Historically, the price of technology comes down, rather than going up. I mean, there's inflation and other ordinary cost increases, but I mean like they used to say 64k of RAM (or maybe it was 64k ROM) is all anyone would ever need in a computer. For the price 64k of RAM was back then, you can now get like probably 8 GIGs of RAM easy (or several terabytes of ROM if that's what the old quote was about) today, especially adjusting for inflation. In fact, you might have trouble finding you a 64k card for your PC these days- they probably don't make them anymore. :)

More recent precise example- the 200gig microSD card I bought recently cost me the same price or less than the 128gig microSD card I bought a bit over a year ago.

So, in that sense, two years after the first X1, it may be possible for them to do a revamped model with better hardware at the same cost to the company, just because the market may have changed for some parts. I don't know if the market has changed, I'm just saying it could have. :)

I figured a wish list would be okay. Obviously, if they can't do some or all of these things and come in at the desired price point they want to achieve, they won't, and I totally get that. :) But I know they hang out and read the forums- or one of them does sometimes- and so I figured it'd be good to mention what I see as the type of features that would prompt me to consider buying a new X1 earlier than planned, or helping to ensure I replace this X1 with another when it breaks instead of going back to Sony or to some other company. What they are able to do and what they want to do are of course things I have no way of knowing and they of course can decide whatever they want. :)

I would say so far the thing I like least about the X1, which I am overall happy with for the price, is the battery life. I am used to kind of thinking of my music player as the thing that will just keep on running in a situation where I can't recharge so I can count on at least listening to some music. With this, I have to charge every day, and often will use my phone for my music, which I rarely did with previous players. I've had power outages that last for days and that kind of thing in the past, and my old players if charged would last me the whole time without worry or cutting back on my use, plus I could save my charging cable if I went for a drive and could only have one thing to plug into my car charger, for my phone and not have to worry about the music player. But I knew I was making that tradeoff at this price point. Overall, I like the X1. :)

Just saying, room for improvement? Always. :)

Jun 12, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #7,155 of 7,793
(...)

Just saying, room for improvement? Always.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh definitely, some day the X1 has to be renewed, that's for sure. I just wasn't convinced if that would be so close to where we are.
But i have to admit, you make a pretty valid point because it's true that technology advances and from one day to the next one, prices go low and new technologies emerge. The example you gave about the computers is perfect. I was actually not considering this and, since i got my X1 this month too, although i know about this, i haven't quite considered that it's been around for 2 years now.

Despite the changes the X1 had after being launched, the main hardware was kept since the beginning.

I assume the market for pcs is not the same as the market for the audio players. The technologies for the two won't move at the same speed since they do not have the same demand but i don't think that their evolution rate is that distant.

So, i can't honestly argue with that. I will say this though, i think they would only make a 2nd generation if they could improve the heart of the X1 (DAC and/or built in amp). But of course this is just a completely personal opinion. At this stage, since it already passed some time (2 years, you really made me think with that xD), maybe there's something new and slightly better for the same price. We'll wait and see.

Good thinking 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back