The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Sep 4, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #6,211 of 7,793
Guys, I bought an X1 just over two weeks ago from a local store here to try it out. I wasn't intending on keeping it, because I was almost certain that it would be a big downgrade in sound quality from the X5. I have the first gen X5 BTW, and that's what I will be comparing the X1 to. Well, now two weeks later I don't intend to return the X1 at all. I was surprised at how great it sounds, especially for the price and although it is not as good sounding as the X5 overall, it can actually surpass the X5's sound to my ears in some aspects. If I could describe the X1's sonic character in a few words, I would say that it is lively, forward, punchy, generally neutral with a bit of warmth.

Compared directly with Fiio X5, I find that X1 actually sounds more energetic and exciting in some ways. Specifically, the bass and mids are fuller and more present on the X1, although the treble is sharper/better defined and more present on the X5. Generally, X1 is able to convey more energy in sound on  the more basic "macro" level, while X5 sounds more present on the more subtle  "micro" level. What do I mean by that? Well, the X1 is more forward and fuller in the mids and lows, but it is actually somewhat soft/dull on attack, meaning that the edges of sounds are softer on the X1 than they should be. X5 sounds more neutral with less presence in the lows and mids, but also has more accurate attack, more micro resolution/texture across the board and a significantly tighter bass response, especially in the sub bass. X5 does also portray a significantly wider soundstage and a more open sound, thanks to significantly higher resolution, particularly in the upper frequencies. X1 produces decent staging, that I feel is more spherical, forward, slightly less deep and much more narrow than that of the X5, which produces a wider, deeper soundstage with better sense of stereo separation. With that being said, some may find the X1s more intimate presentation to be more to their liking than that of the more distant and "reference" sounding X5. I know I do for some music.

In terms of tonal accuracy, overall clarity and naturalness, I think the X1 is really not far off the X5 at all and can sound more fun than X5 in some cases, especially with low impedance headphones that the X1 doesn't have trouble driving. Speaking of headphones that X1 has issues driving with it's built in amp, I do think that it has some trouble with my Sennheiser HD800 and HD600, both 300 Ohm cans, and less noticeable problems with my AKG K612 Pro which is maybe a bit easier to drive than the two Senns with their lower 120 Ohm impedance, but still a difficult load. The Senns and AKGs sound somewhat restrained and lacking dynamics out of the X1's built in amp. My low impedance cans, such as Fidelio X2, NAD HP50, SRH1540 and ATH-MSR7 don't sound underpowered on the X1's stock amp at all, producing plenty of energy and dynamics. However, the line out on the X1 is clean and well implemented and hooking on my Fiio E12A or Objective 2 to the player solves all issues with powering the Senns and AKGs beautifully - they no longer sound underpowered and display proper dynamics and energy with both of the external amps via X1's line out. To be fair however, I think X5's built in amp doesn't power my Senns and AKGs all too well either, although better than the X1's amp does. I almost always use my X5 with an E12A or O2 for properly driving these cans as well.

Actually, I think I prefer the sound of X1 + O2 or E12A to X5's headphone out in most aspects, X5 still has more resolution, wider, more open soundstage and a tighter, deeper bass than X1, but X1 with the external amps actually sounds more effortless, more natural and more 3D to my ears, and also can drive the high impedance and/or low sensitivity headphones better than X5's headphone out. Of course, adding the amps to X5 brings the X5 ahead again, but I don't think the difference is all that great when both players are being powered by good dedicated amps via their line outs. I could easily live with X1 + E12A as my only source for all my headphones if I couldn't have any other sources for whatever reason.

X1 is a terrific value for the money IMO. It is reasonably close to X5 in sound quality, especially when paired with a good external amp, while being much smaller, lighter, more convenient to use... I also prefer the X1 to X3 first gen in every way from build to sonics. I don't have time right now to explain why, but let me just say that X3 is obviously bulkier, doesn't look as nice as X1 and has inferior UI and controls IMO. In terms of sound I find that X3 sounds too soft and veiled for my tastes. technically it may be good, especially when driven by good external amp via the line out, but I didn't like the presentation - it was too polite for my tastes. X1 sounds more present lively, exciting to me. It's a big difference in presentation to my ears in favor of the X1. Great job with the X1 Fiio - I think you nailed it with this little guy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #6,216 of 7,793
Sep 5, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #6,218 of 7,793
Does anyone have any news about a firmware update for X1? I believe that some Fiio representative mentioned that we would get a new firmware by the end of August, but so far nothing...

It would be really nice if Fiio could fix the 5,800 songs limitation of the X1 library, and perhaps improve the navigation using the Next/Prev buttons for page up/down for a faster navigation...

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #6,220 of 7,793
That ability to bypass the rather awkward wheel is a good idea. It's just not a great navigation thing because it's so clumsy.

Are you able to navigate the menus using the forward and back buttons like you can on the X3ii. On my X3ii I used the buttons alot for navigation except for the odd sub menu where you can only use the scroll wheel

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #6,222 of 7,793

Are you able to navigate the menus using the forward and back buttons like you can on the X3ii. On my X3ii I used the buttons alot for navigation except for the odd sub menu where you can only use the scroll wheel

Yes, but the next/prev buttons only move one item in the list. Even with auto-repeat, scrolling lists with hundreds or thousand items is really slow in X1 (and also in the new X3 and X5 which uses the same navigation model).

Many Sony walkmans use the up/down buttons to move one single item (single step with autorepeat) and the next/prev buttons to move "one page" (~5 items step with autorepeat).

What I am proposing is that the scroll wheel in the Fiio players should be used to navigate across single items (single step) as it is today, and the next/prev buttons should be used as page up/down (let's say 10 step with auto-repeat, and not single-step as currently implemented).

This concept of navigation (single step with arrows and multiple step with page down/up) exists since the early days of computers, I really don't know why Fiio have not implemented this yet...

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #6,223 of 7,793
doesn't matter, it wouldn't have to be perfect and it wouldn't have be instead of something else. but the option to navigate without the wheel, that's something I wished for in the review I wrote months ago, and I still wish it would exist.
but then again I hate wheels ^_^.

Sep 6, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #6,224 of 7,793
doesn't matter, it wouldn't have to be perfect and it wouldn't have be instead of something else. but the option to navigate without the wheel, that's something I wished for in the review I wrote months ago, and I still wish it would exist.
but then again I hate wheels ^_^.

I have to admit that I do prefer the so called 'clunky' x3 arrangement to both X1 and x5 where there is no wheel to go wrong. I just feel that it's a clumsy way of emulating the IPod Classic wheel which is way superior.

Sep 6, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #6,225 of 7,793

Yes, but the next/prev buttons only move one item in the list. Even with auto-repeat, scrolling lists with hundreds or thousand items is really slow in X1 (and also in the new X3 and X5 which uses the same navigation model).

Many Sony walkmans use the up/down buttons to move one single item (single step with autorepeat) and the next/prev buttons to move "one page" (~5 items step with autorepeat).

What I am proposing is that the scroll wheel in the Fiio players should be used to navigate across single items (single step) as it is today, and the next/prev buttons should be used as page up/down (let's say 10 step with auto-repeat, and not single-step as currently implemented).

This concept of navigation (single step with arrows and multiple step with page down/up) exists since the early days of computers, I really don't know why Fiio have not implemented this yet...

I don't find it to be much of a problem using the buttons for navigation...press and hold and it seems to scroll through fast enough but I listen to and browse only albums so I guess if you have a lot of songs not grouped by album or in separate folder then it might be slow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back