The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Aug 16, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #6,076 of 7,793
 Originally Posted by smy1 

I need help what should I do when people ask me if the X1 is a iPod classic

I usually tell people, "You know how teenage boys often have posters of their favorite Lamborghini or sports star on their bedroom wall? This is what the iPod would have over its bed, if it were ever going to hit puberty in the first place. This is the audio player all the little iPods want to grow up and be like someday."

This may be truer of my DX90 than my X1 (sorry, X1), but it's still applicable here. If I were an iPod I'd want two things for Christmas: for my balls to finally drop, and to wake up as an X1. 

Aug 16, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #6,077 of 7,793
^ Really?
If i were an iPod all i would want is more support and enthusiasm from my parents (Apple) to be the best music player that i COULD be.
But i wouldn't want to metamorphosise into an X1 over night. Id swap my X1 for an iPod with decent storage  any day of the week. 

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #6,078 of 7,793
  ^ Really?
If i were an iPod all i would want is more support and enthusiasm from my parents (Apple) to be the best music player that i COULD be.
But i wouldn't want to metamorphosise into an X1 over night. Id swap my X1 for an iPod with decent storage  any day of the week. 

The ipod doesn't have a card slot though, while the X1 has only around 10 hours of battery life. At least with the X1 you could use an external power pack while charging, although Fiio recommends against doing this.

Q: Can the X1 play songs while charging?
A:Yes, but it is recommended to power off the X1 for charging, to prevent the charge from
taking too long and prevent the X1 from heating up too much.

Aug 16, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #6,080 of 7,793
I love it!!!!!

I have a question though.  Why is it that we have this obsession with comparing every DAP that comes out with an Apple one?

One new non-apple dap comes out and Apple pumps out various ones (shuffle, nano, touch, mini, air etc. and doesn’t break a sweat…ok, I included tablets).  But our need continues to compare and bash.  I’m guilty as well when I get a new dap.  “Let’s see if it can spank the Classic or Touch”. 

I’m talking about the DAPs under 1k only.  Those others that cost over 1k have added benefits I’m sure, like changing the oil in your vehicle, cleaning, laundry, dishes etc. so those are not included here.

A new non-apple DAP comes out and we all try and compare, dissect, break down everything to see which one is better.  Better how?!?  Too many possibilities…  The flavor of the month nowadays is storage.  Yes, removable storage is awesome and always welcomed.  But that can’t be the deciding factor.  There are only so many hours in a day.  I have many cards that I use in various players and it’s great but not the ‘be all, end all’.

I have posted in this thread the X1 in action at home many times with pics.  Whether it’s being spanked by one of my tube amps or tube buffered into another amp (SS).  Or simply unplugging and take it on the go.  Works well all the way around.  I love it.  Most of the time a 64gb card is in it.

The other night I wanted to use my old iPhone 4 to run around the house and do some chores with, used solely now for all other purposes than a phone (yes, with wi-fi and bluetooth the possibilities are endless).  But wait…..it’s only 16gb…what am I to do?!!!!!........Luckily, it has iOS 7.1 on it (apple became real greedy with iOS 8.4 and disabled home sharing).  With two intuitive clicks on the device I had access to my entire music library via iTunes on my iPhone4.  Over 1TB of CD rips of music at my fingertips.

Yes, I am an apple fan boy as well as an iBasso (get gapless fixed please), Fiio, Sansa, and Archos fanboy when it comes to players (it’s not against the law or rules of head-fi to be a fan of various devices).

I honestly don’t blame us as the culprits in this endeavor.  I blame the DAPs themselves.  They have not taken the time, sat down and communicated amongst each other.  If they would take the time to communicate, they would realize that all devices serve a purpose.  Whether it’s portability, features, sound etc. They all have to get along for the greater good.  Every device is unique given the applications we use them with.  Yes, Apple will always win the best UI on the planet battle but there are other strong points among various players.

Tonight, I will hopefully solve some of these obsession issues we have, to compare to Apple.  I have made reservations at a nice table for dinner for all the daps that I currently own and hopefully the drama will subside and they can all love one another and coexist.  Communication is of the utmost importance and no dap is leaving until all issues are resolved.

This is on the DAPs only.  I will not interfere in their conversations nor will I compare one with another.  They are all wonderful in their own way and all have strong points.

Also, nowadays you need to be an engineer of some sorts or hold three degrees from M.I.T. to evaluate a product.

I am none of the above, I just love music!!!

***My 160gb Classic could not be in the pic.  It is in another room being spanked by my Woo Audio 2 for having a delicious sound signature.

Will keep you guys posted.  Keep the faith!!!!!

Aug 17, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #6,081 of 7,793
Apple thinks they are smart by omitting a card slot on its players and phones, however this omission is the main reason I have not purchased an Apple product yet. if the Nano had a card slot, and allowed for the use of micro SDXC cards, I would have probably bought one already. Instead I am buying Sandisk players to get a card slot. I like the 24 hour battery life and metal enclosure on the Nano. I also like the touchscreen. I want to have at least 64 GB of storage available though, especially if I am going to pay around $150 for a player, rather than the $40 or so a Sandisk player costs.

Aug 18, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #6,082 of 7,793
I usually tell people, "You know how teenage boys often have posters of their favorite Lamborghini or sports star on their bedroom wall? This is what the iPod would have over its bed, if it were ever going to hit puberty in the first place. This is the audio player all the little iPods want to grow up and be like someday."

This may be truer of my DX90 than my X1 (sorry, X1), but it's still applicable here. If I were an iPod I'd want two things for Christmas: for my balls to finally drop, and to wake up as an X1. 

This actually gave me a laugh lol

Aug 18, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #6,083 of 7,793
So I've been using it for a couple of weeks with a 128gb card, mostly with 16bit 44.1khz tracks ripped from CDs. I've used it mostly with my ex-110lp in the office, mdr-1r and xb700 at home and a lot in my car. I tried it with an e11k also. I noticed that the music really sound better and now I listen to it almost always without an eq. The only thing that I noted is that the iPod classic that I used to have, coupled with the e11k and the xb700 was a little more punchy with the bass, however the x1 in the same conditions delivers clearer bass and it does allow mids and trebble to shine, even with a bass oriented headset like the xb700. I also ordered some in ear momentum to use in the office instead of the ex110, but i'm still waiting for them. When i have my full set I hope I can upload a couple of pics. I love my x1 :)

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #6,084 of 7,793
Ey, for the X1 owners, looks like the "new" A3 have that sexy small cable like the one sold on JDSLabs, should be really nice for the Fiio X1 and X3II
I just bought the A3 silver, let's see if it can really improve the sound of my cheap headphones.

Aug 19, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #6,085 of 7,793
Hello,
I recently found an issue with my fiio x1 scroll wheel. There is a lag in scroll wheel when I'm scrolling. The Scrolling sometime skipping one two steps. I bought it in July,2015.
Is this problem normal?
Is Anyone having the same issue?

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #6,086 of 7,793
Hello everybody, I have already written to both Fiio support and Joe Bloggs about this issue that seemingly I can't solve, now I'm asking if someone else has experienced the same problem.

My X1 is being used with a 128gb Sandisk flash card - original, already tested and perfectly working - which contains 12775 single files (no folders, just single files because I love shuffling all my songs). All files were deprived of tags via Mp3Tag to avoid recognition problems to the X1 (I just need the file name to be happy). The card's memory size and the available space are regularly recognized by the X1 when I check it via "About X1" in the system settings. However, when I try to simply browse files the X1 won't list the entirety of files: it only shows a limited number of them (2000, 6000, 8000 or something in between, it seems to change the number every time) but never the total of 12775 as they are on the card (which I can entirely see and play on my computer, of course).

I have tried several firmwares, and also tried re-formatting the memory card various times in all possible variants (Fat32 via the X1, NTFS and ExFat) but apparently there is no way to have the DAP listing the files completely when I press "browse files". Basically, it seems that it cannot manage to list them after a certain number. It's a drag, since I want to browse files and random play from there to avoid the 5800 song limit imposed by the media library. But now it looks like my X1 is also giving a limit (which changes every time) to the very number of files contained by the card... 
confused.gif

Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot.

Aug 19, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #6,087 of 7,793
Try using some subfolders. That might help. Some players start chocking when there are more than 256 items(a file or a folder) in a folder. Some might start chocking at a higher limit. 

Aug 19, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #6,088 of 7,793
Thanks very much for the tip, JK1. Indeed, now it works fine, after creating six folders containing 2000 files (or so) each.

However, at least until Fiio releases the firmware which will finally destroy the 5800 song limit, this prevents me from a genuine shuffle of my entire files, am I right? I can only shuffle files inside a single folder, I presume. Is there any way to shuffle "across" the folders? 

In any case, thanks again for the precious suggestion! 
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #6,089 of 7,793
Is it me but I had a sandisk and switch to the Samsung evo the sound quality changed

Maybe it's just my mind

Aug 19, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #6,090 of 7,793
Yep - it's in your head ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back