The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Apr 27, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #5,611 of 7,793
Yes, I agree that it's not comsistent. I can't work out what the cause is either. For some reason, I'm finding the joins with FLAC better. By click, I don't mean a loud 'tap' but a 'tick' when the track changes.

Gapless isn't as successful as I'd like, so I rip long seamless albums as one track and leave out track names etc. if I can be bothered. Downloads seem to be worse in this respect.

X3 does it too.

Apr 27, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #5,612 of 7,793
Any comments on the gapless implementation with single big FLAC + .cue sheet?

I tried this on the X3ii a couple of days ago and it did not work for me - there were still gaps between the songs. It is quite annoying because this issue was handled by Rockbox years ago.

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #5,613 of 7,793
Yes, I agree that it's not comsistent. I can't work out what the cause is either. For some reason, I'm finding the joins with FLAC better. By click, I don't mean a loud 'tap' but a 'tick' when the track changes.

Gapless isn't as successful as I'd like, so I rip long seamless albums as one track and leave out track names etc. if I can be bothered. Downloads seem to be worse in this respect.

X3 does it too.

didn't test enough variables for gapless on the X1, as I also go with 1big file for anything live or most classical music when in mp3(and when I really want tracks and .cues don't work, I just go with flac for that album). a habit coming from using several DAPs that couldn't get a good enough gapless for mp3 whatever I would do, use lame, go VBR instead of CBR try to mess up with the padding, always rip from CD instead of already ripped files...
in the end stuff like foobar and rockbox come real close to perfect gapless mp3, but that's mostly it. so my answer to people is usually to use another file format for what they want gapless, or to make 1 single file.
ogg had an answer for that I believe, but I just gave up on ogg for music because not enough DAP would bother to do it properly. so flac is probably the best choice nowadays for gapless, as there are no delay/padding stuff, so the DAP only has to buffer the next song soon enough and not cut the signal between tracks to pretty much become gapless.

I would expect a "tick" noise from DAPs cutting the output signal between tracks, so silly question, but do you have gapless set to "ON" in the settings?
ph34r.gif
(again I'm talking from usual situations only, as I just did 1 test on the X1 for my crappy but long review and went back to using 1 file for what I want gapless as I'm used to do).

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #5,614 of 7,793

I tried this on the X3ii a couple of days ago and it did not work for me - there were still gaps between the songs. It is quite annoying because this issue was handled by Rockbox years ago.

I remember on the X3 the only limit for .cue was to make sure it was named like the file. did you do that? 
also it's possible you don't see the .cue because the DAP reads it and shows all the tracks instead?

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #5,615 of 7,793
   I remember on the X3 the only limit for .cue was to make sure it was named like the file. did you do that? 
also it's possible you don't see the .cue because the DAP reads it and shows all the tracks instead?

The .cue was named properly, it was recognized and worked - I could select tracks and etc. The .cue file itself is indeed not seen - only the tracks.

My issue was that the gapless playback did not work for me in this scenario, even with Gapless ON. The file was a FLAC.

Apr 27, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #5,616 of 7,793

The .cue was named properly, it was recognized and worked - I could select tracks and etc. The .cue file itself is indeed not seen - only the tracks.

My issue was that the gapless playback did not work for me in this scenario, even with Gapless ON. The file was a FLAC.

arf, then you can expect the same thing from the X1 and others. if nobody is doing this and can comment on the X1's behavior, I'll try encoding and uploading an album tomorrow. but don't hold your breath for a perfect gapless anyway.

Apr 27, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #5,617 of 7,793
I have an E12 that I want to match up with either the X1 or the X3-II. Since I'm not concerned about the AMP section of the DAP, I'm looking at DAC performance, battery performance and player UI performance. Given my criteria, does it pay to spend the extra $100 to get the X3-II? I'm posting this in both the X1 and the X3-II threads for a more diverse set of opinions.

Apr 30, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #5,618 of 7,793

It crashed in V1.3 firmware on the X1. In my opinion should have at least have a beta firmware with this fix.

Apr 30, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #5,619 of 7,793
Hi guys, I've recently bought an X1 for my JH13 (these puppies are extremely sensitive and quite transparent), and I've been hearing quite a bit of hiss from the X1 with my JH13 vs. my phone. It's like an audible shushing noise that I could ignore when I have my music playing, but it gets quite noticeable during the quieter passages of the music and distractingly so when there isn't any music playing. Anyone have this problem or is it just me (and my unit)?

Also, anyone have any suggestions for a solution?

Apr 30, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #5,620 of 7,793
I recently get an XI, and sometime put some songs in "Favory" Later when put unit on, when the same song play, I have to put again in "Favory" Why this? The XI doesn't keep in memeory all my Favorites songs ?

Same with "Add to ply list" Hop I'l be clear in this one! Is this happen to somone else ?

Thx!

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #5,621 of 7,793
  Hi guys, I've recently bought an X1 for my JH13 (these puppies are extremely sensitive and quite transparent), and I've been hearing quite a bit of hiss from the X1 with my JH13 vs. my phone. It's like an audible shushing noise that I could ignore when I have my music playing, but it gets quite noticeable during the quieter passages of the music and distractingly so when there isn't any music playing. Anyone have this problem or is it just me (and my unit)?

Also, anyone have any suggestions for a solution?

maybe your phone is incredibly clean, but's it's certainly not the general rule.
the X1 does have a very very small background noise(like pretty much all DAPs I've owned), but in my experience it's one of the quietest you get on a consumer DAP. so either you just realized that you can't stand any hiss at all(welcome to the club) and you will need a very clean portable amp or to buy less sensitive IEMs in the long run, or maybe your unit is a lemon.
hard to scale hiss TBH so I'm not sure we can clear that doubt for you.

May 1, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #5,622 of 7,793
Are there micro SD cards this player is incompatible with? Can someone kindly tell me if the card in the link below would suffice?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M55C0NS/ref=crt_ewc_title_olp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Thanks so much.

May 1, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #5,624 of 7,793
  Are there micro SD cards this player is incompatible with? Can someone kindly tell me if the card in the link below would suffice?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M55C0NS/ref=crt_ewc_title_olp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Thanks so much.

I haven't heard of any cards being incompatible. I have a 64GB version of that card in my X1.

May 1, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #5,625 of 7,793
Thanks, guys! I ask because my HM-601 was incompatible with an SD card until I updated its firmware...Different manufacturer I know, but hey you never know, right? Though I'm glad this isn't a problem with this player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back