The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Mar 30, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #5,506 of 7,793
May i ask you which headphones are you using that allow volume control if connected to FiiO X1?

As far as i know there is no volume control support on FiiO X1 connector, but only "pause/next track/preview track" control...
IMO, No headphone supported! Look for Any kind smartphone (Samsung-Apple) earphones have a volume control integrated on cable! Or youl have need to find vol. cont. adaptor. Take alook at the Apple site! :wink:

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #5,507 of 7,793

May i ask you which headphones are you using that allow volume control if connected to FiiO X1?

As far as i know there is no volume control support on FiiO X1 connector, but only "pause/next track/preview track" control...

Maybe they're talking about a volume attenuator/slider that's built into the cans, not a volume control in the sense that it controls the DAP's volume.

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #5,508 of 7,793
IMO, No headphone supported! Look for Any kind smartphone (Samsung-Apple) earphones have a volume control integrated on cable! Or you have need to find vol. cont. adaptor. Take a look at the Apple site!
wink.gif

I completely agree with you!

I was just asking because the other user was stating that he can change volume as well, while none of my IEM or headphones allow to change volume on fiiO X1...

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #5,509 of 7,793
So after having X1 for a few days review:
1. Initially does not read one of my MicroSD. Gotta backup my music, then format the card using X1. Now the 64GB card is working well.
2. Scrolling is slow especially if you have a long folder of 100 plus songs.
3. Scrolling is noisy
4. Middle button is noisy (in a quiet room the others are disturbed by the clicking sound)
5. Doesn't play anything I throw at it. I guess I might have some non-standard .ape and .m4a because I get a "File not supported!", and yet I can play those files on my smartphone.
6. Small and handy, nice feeling when holding in hand.
7. Good battery life!
8. Enjoyed myself listening to some FLACs on it.

Overall very budget, value for money. Comes with nice feeling silicon pouch, nice stickers, good documentation, and a microusb cable. Though it's still sad I cannot play some .ape and .m4a files (my files might not be the standard format).

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #5,510 of 7,793

You are right, I was referring to the option to control Pause, Next & Previous songs with the earphones remote included with your phone.   

Mar 30, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #5,511 of 7,793
So after having X1 for a few days review:
1. Initially does not read one of my MicroSD. Gotta backup my music, then format the card using X1. Now the 64GB card is working well.
2. Scrolling is slow especially if you have a long folder of 100 plus songs.
3. Scrolling is noisy
4. Middle button is noisy (in a quiet room the others are disturbed by the clicking sound)
5. Doesn't play anything I throw at it. I guess I might have some non-standard .ape and .m4a because I get a "File not supported!", and yet I can play those files on my smartphone.
6. Small and handy, nice feeling when holding in hand.
7. Good battery life!
8. Enjoyed myself listening to some FLACs on it.

Overall very budget, value for money. Comes with nice feeling silicon pouch, nice stickers, good documentation, and a microusb cable. Though it's still sad I cannot play some .ape and .m4a files (my files might not be the standard format).

It won't read e card unless it's formatted correctly (fat32) which can't be done on a 64 gig card unless you do it in the X1.  It will scroll as fast as you can spin the wheel.  You can hear it scroll and you hear the button click, but I find this to be a positive.  If folks are disturbed by it, you must be in a library...lol...kidding.  You are not the first person to bring up m4a or ape format issues and I don't know of any fix for that.  I use mine daily at work 8 hours a day and then use it when I work out (another hour or so) and it hasn't dies on me yet.  I use a 128 gig micro sd card and have roughly 120 gigs on it, but I use it in folder mode and listen to albums, so I haven't fooled with making playlist.  The X1 is a lot of player for the money and I've bee enjoying mine since January everyday without any issues.  I even upgraded to the latest firmware and no issues to report with that either.

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #5,512 of 7,793
Can anyone comment on how the FiiO X1 compares to a Samsung Note 4 or a laptop with an AudioQuest Dragonfly, Schiit Fulla, etc.?

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #5,513 of 7,793
  Can anyone comment on how the FiiO X1 compares to a Samsung Note 4 or a laptop with an AudioQuest Dragonfly, Schiit Fulla, etc.?

The AudioQuest Dragonfly is slightly better sounding than the X1, but of course not as portable. For me it has a fuller sound with more definition than the X1. If listening at home I prefer the Dragonfly, but prefer the portability of the X1 for listening while traveling.

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #5,514 of 7,793
It won't read e card unless it's formatted correctly (fat32) which can't be done on a 64 gig card unless you do it in the X1.  It will scroll as fast as you can spin the wheel.  You can hear it scroll and you hear the button click, but I find this to be a positive.  If folks are disturbed by it, you must be in a library...lol...kidding.  You are not the first person to bring up m4a or ape format issues and I don't know of any fix for that.  I use mine daily at work 8 hours a day and then use it when I work out (another hour or so) and it hasn't dies on me yet.  I use a 128 gig micro sd card and have roughly 120 gigs on it, but I use it in folder mode and listen to albums, so I haven't fooled with making playlist.  The X1 is a lot of player for the money and I've bee enjoying mine since January everyday without any issues.  I even upgraded to the latest firmware and no issues to report with that either.

I prefer buttons that don't sound so audible though. I indeed use it in somewhere even quieter than library -- the bedroom. I organise my music in folders and some have close to hundred or more files, so it's yet even noisier to scroll and scroll. Guess I have to split them further.

Just wondering if there's any way, or updates to play those non-standard .ape or .m4a files?

Mar 31, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #5,515 of 7,793
Hello, i made my account here to show you a nice mod to Fiio X1. I have some audio-technica in-ear headphones that sound very good on my asus xonar dx card, but a bit too harsh for my ears on Fiio X1, so i decided to replace the headphones op-amp (ISL28291). I had already an OPA2134 so i used that one: http://oi61.tinypic.com/ic3g37.jpg
The result? I am now very happy with the new sound, very detailed, warm enough and balanced to not need to touch again the EQ. Surprising, the volume level is about the same on my IEM's as with original op-amp; the new amp have less available power but for sensitive headphones it seems that is not an issue at all; in the end i bought it as portable player and it does this job very well now :wink:

Mar 31, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #5,516 of 7,793

Same with me,,i prefer folders so no issues of turning the wheel for long durations.

People are complaining about minor issues completely forgetting the price they paid and features they are getting.

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #5,518 of 7,793
  It won't read e card unless it's formatted correctly (fat32) which can't be done on a 64 gig card unless you do it in the X1.  It will scroll as fast as you can spin the wheel.  You can hear it scroll and you hear the button click, but I find this to be a positive.  If folks are disturbed by it, you must be in a library...lol...kidding.  You are not the first person to bring up m4a or ape format issues and I don't know of any fix for that.  I use mine daily at work 8 hours a day and then use it when I work out (another hour or so) and it hasn't dies on me yet.  I use a 128 gig micro sd card and have roughly 120 gigs on it, but I use it in folder mode and listen to albums, so I haven't fooled with making playlist.  The X1 is a lot of player for the money and I've bee enjoying mine since January everyday without any issues.  I even upgraded to the latest firmware and no issues to report with that either

I thought the new 1.3 firmware allowed you to use cards formatted as SDXC unless he hasn't got that firmware installed.

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #5,519 of 7,793
I prefer buttons that don't sound so audible though. I indeed use it in somewhere even quieter than library -- the bedroom. I organise my music in folders and some have close to hundred or more files, so it's yet even noisier to scroll and scroll. Guess I have to split them further.

Just wondering if there's any way, or updates to play those non-standard .ape or .m4a files?

Don't know what to tell you then. The post above this one refers to using the other buttons to scroll. This would be a little quieter.  inhale my music organized like this: artist folder, in there is all the albums, and the songs can be located in the album folders.  I have roughly 200 artist folders and some of those contain up to 21 albums. I don't know any real way to cut down on the scrolling.

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #5,520 of 7,793
I thought the new 1.3 firmware allowed you to use cards formatted as SDXC unless he hasn't got that firmware installed.

SDXC is not a format type, it's a hardware specification. He formatted the card correctly but the files in question were generated from his smartphone which more than likely created something that's incompatible with the X1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back