The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Feb 28, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #5,161 of 7,793
Well that's 2 of my 128gb cards filled up. One has my whole MP3 collection on so over 10,000 songs. The other has my FLAC collection on so has just over 3000 songs.

The only thing I find annoying (and this isn't so much a problem with the player but with using external storage) is that when you have to start a new card, it isn't worth using it till it has filled up a bit more than one album.

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #5,162 of 7,793
  Lacking proper sound recording equipment I just used a db meter app on my Nexus 5 and stuck the phone in one of the earcups, which is obviously not as good as an actual SPL meter but is better than nothing.

If you've got a snowball and a PC/laptop then you'd be better off finding a real VU meter program rather than using your phone.

Thanks for the information. Using the LG G2, two apps are telling me that my ambient noise is around 30-40 db, which is my pc rig's case fans at max speed, an air conditioner heating up the house, and another computer around 6 feet away (which shouldn't be very loud). Playing music on the K7xx, it reaches to 80 db with the X1 at 40. However, other songs require the X1 to be at 50, and my old mp3 collections (when I was using $12 earphones), would require 60-80 due to the horrible compression from wherever I downloaded the songs at.

As for the Blue Snowball, my ambient noise was around 25 while the music was around 50-60 overall (a weight, c weight, and "flat" weight). I used a SourceForge sound meter for that and analyzed an Audacity .wav file. Keep in mind that the 50-60 db is with a horrible seal around microphone.

Edit: I might retry these tests, but I doubt any of my results are accurate. But my friends do listen much louder than I do (I'd adjust the Fiio x1 5 to 10 steps above in the volume meter from my "comfortable" listening level which was 65-70 db from the phone's sound meter.

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #5,163 of 7,793
BTW how does the X1 treat a whole FLAC file album that is only split if you use a CUE file?

In Category mode does it treat the whole FLAC file as a song or does it split the songs up so you can play them randomly?

Feb 28, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #5,164 of 7,793
So I've had a really bad run of luck this past year and have been robbed twice of my audio gear, in two different states.  Hilariously (or not), both thieves made off with my DX90s.  I've since decided to go budget-fi for my OTG listening and leave my third DX90 at home full-time.

After mulling around Head-Fi's reviews for a while I've settled on a combination of the X1 and Koss PortaPros for my portable rig, with either my Zero Audio Duozas or RE-400s as discreet backups. So far my PortaPros have < 10 hours on them and my X1 is spinning through its first hour as I type this, so there's no way I can offer an opinion yet.  That said, initial impressions are promising: the low-end response is really flattering to Celldweller—although I feel like there's some mid-bass bloat and the clarity lags far behind my DX90 > HD600 pairing.

I'm not a qualified reviewer by any stretch of the imagination but I'll post more thoughts later as my listening experience evolves.

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #5,167 of 7,793
I read that a higher class SD card can reduce the 'lag' between each songs.
I just went to a local electronic store and bought a 64gb class10 SD card lmao

Thanks for the input, I think I'll play it safe then and get a class 10. Found a PNY 64GB class 10 for $23.23 with free shipping.
The "Class" mention here, is important mostly for video use. As a photographer, Capacity/Class are less imprtant than "Write speed". Just recently purchaced a SDHC "Extreme PLUS" card. (80Mo/s) 16GB. (35$spec./60$reg.CAD) Also a second microSDHC "Extreme PLUS". card (80Mo/s) 32GB. (55$spec./100$reg.CAD) ... for my X1 DAP (All class 10)

Using cards for cameras, cellphones or for a DAP is not same league, same goals! I'l be surprised to know the speed of your PNY card ! For 25$ dont be waiting for much speed. Anyways, infacto, speed are more welcome when it come to shooting peoples, than listen music. Gap, lap... between songs is less important for me. IMO

For a DAP, Sandisk Ultra card (30Mo/s) is ample enough. Your free to go cheap! With Sandisk/Lexar, is the reference! You paid for a reputation! You paid for what you get! Like in the CD/DVD mediums world, Verbatim, are the reference, regarding stability, performance! Again, You paid for what you get!

If you have the peso$ to purchace a good DAP... you need to get the pesso$ to, to feed them with good quality food. IMO

:D

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #5,169 of 7,793
Done! I ordered the X1 and a PNY 64GB Class 10 card for $125. Wednesday can't come soon enough!
125$ CAD is exactly what I'v paid for my X1. Comming Thursday. + 32GB card. 55$ spec. (Extreme plus. 80Mo/s.)

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #5,170 of 7,793
Feb 28, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #5,171 of 7,793
  Not sure if you still need to know after three weeks, but the stickers do not leave any markings. A few months back, my X1 ended up in the washing machine and I just ripped off the sticker as part of the process of drying it. Definitely no markings despite an extremely rough job. My X1 is still working while my Ostry KC06a ended up with channel imbalance.

I'm wondering if there's anywhere to purchase extra skins (stickers) for the X1, or I might just try my wooden skin if I feel like making that change.

Wow, amazing how your X1 went to washing machine and still work fine till now :D :D 

been purchased X1 from local store here, cant wait to test it soon, btw do we need dac/amp for X1 if im using IEM like soundmagic e10 ? been googling to find what dac/amp suit for X1

Feb 28, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #5,172 of 7,793
  Wow, amazing how your X1 went to washing machine and still work fine till now :D :D 

been purchased X1 from local store here, cant wait to test it soon, btw do we need dac/amp for X1 if im using IEM like soundmagic e10 ? been googling to find what dac/amp suit for X1

When my X1 turned on after I dried it up (and left in some Chinese-branded rice for three days), I thought the water got under the screen, but that was my screen protector that I forgot about. No difference in sound, but I didn't have too many options to test that with since my main IEMs of that time didn't make it.

I doubt you need a dac for the Fiio X1, but an amp might be used to drive less efficient headphones as well as some IEMs that scale well with them. I do not know if the E10 require amping or not, but it seems that the reviews on Head-fi don't really mention amping the E10. I'm holding off on an amp due to my tight budget and the fact that I can still reach loud volumes that are too loud to listen.

Mar 1, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #5,174 of 7,793
Is foobar2000 work with Mac to ?

Ha, a quick google search for foobar and a click to the official site and you'd have your answer.

Hint.......... No......... Windows only.

Mar 1, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #5,175 of 7,793
Here a theme DIY Tuto for any who need to change there listening/visual experience!

http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40141&highlight=X3

SkullboX

:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back