The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Jan 15, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #4,756 of 7,793
I was under the impression that the test was made on something other than the X1, in the past.  If that is incorrect, then I am admonished appropriately.  If I am correct, then the original unaltered file still needs to be tested on the X1.

I am looking for something along the lines of "I tested the original unaltered file on the X1 against my idevice, and it sounded

--better

---worse

--the same  "

Then there is grounds for a discussion.  Yeah the X1 has more power but a modern idevice can sound pretty good.  I have both and like both, but for different purposes.  But many people can be quite satisfied with the idevice.  That is cool and to each his own.  I just think the FIIO deserves a fighting chance and should not have one hand tied behind its back.

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #4,758 of 7,793
I use an x1 for testing. Its a great unit!

Your Kommand sounds pretty darn good with it 
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #4,759 of 7,793

Centurion, one more time.  Try the original unaltered file.  Period.  If you do not want to do that, then return the unit and be done with this forum.

i said something wrong? why are you talking to me like i am an idiot? and (one more time) as i said only one post before your i have done the comparison you suggested but the file are the same so converting flac to alac don't cause any loss.
i'm simply asking for explanation, if that hurt you there's something wrong: is not a forum the place where people can ask and receive answers concerning their products/problems/idea?

don't worry, from your dialog, originalsnuffy obviously has his very own opinion about file types and how the sound would change, I happen not to share that opinion, and all my own ABX tests are my reason for thinking like I do.
now, sound is sound, I'm sorry that forums like headfi led you into expecting unrealistic things. no laser cats in audio, this is the sad truth. your disappointment can only be as big as your unrealistic expectations. when you read most feedbacks, think that it's the guy's birthday, he's 13 and he just unwrapped the toy he wanted. we call that the "new toy effect". the DAP could be the exact replica of the one he already owns, he would still write pages about how much better the new one is, because it's new.
frown.gif

experienced reviewers don't write feedbacks right away to let those unrealistic opinions pass, I know that I usually need about 3 weeks to see things for what they are, good or bad. but in a world of tweeter and instagram, you can't expect everybody to wait and that's why you can't trust most of the overly optimistic feedbacks you read on the web. (not counting when the reviewer got something for free or with a discount and feels obligated to say good stuff).
in your situation, you're using a portable headphone that doesn't need much and isn't overly picky. it's very low impedance, but not low enough to be a problem(usually 16ohm or below) with the amp section, it's sensitive but not to the point where you might get some noises from most sources, the impedance is stable over frequency so you don't really have to worry about the source. all in all you have a good easy to use consumer portable headphone, and it's natural that it would behave roughly the same way on most sources. because it was built to do that.

but here many people have weird headphones, they want to use non portable stuff, or some very picky in ear monitors. and those products simply don't work well with most consumer sources like ipod or cellphones. some need too much power, some need ultra low impedance, some need a lot of current... on headfi sadly when we talk about a good portable source, we tend to talk about a source to drive those weirdo headphones and IEMs. because for average consumer headphones and in ear, something like an ipod is all that you really need and most DAPs will sound the same. so nobody talks about that.
I happen to have both kinds of IEMs, some that are not picky and they indeed sound about the same on almost all my sources even with volume matched and a switch. but I also have some IEMs where I will hear some hissing out of my sony DAPs, where I will feel like the soundstage collapsed on my sansa clip, and where the signature will change widely depending on the impedance of the source(several DB of variation). for those, the X1 is borderline with the 2ohm impedance value, but still usable with most. the hiss is very very low. the power is better than on any other consumer DAP I own, so I can use the X1 without my external amp on a wider range of headphones. some will care for the high res ability, many consumer grade sources cannot play 24/96bit music, or would downsample(I use mp3 for portable stuff...).

all in all for people with problems, the X1 may be the solution for only 100$. and in the audio world, that's a really cheap price to pay for a solution(sometimes you can't even get a cable for 100$).
that's why most of us have been so nice when we talk about this product. but of course the ability to do more, and doing more at all times with all headphones are 2 very different things. just like an usb charger of 2A will not charge faster if the stuff you charge needs only 800mA, the X1 having a little more power will provide it only when your headphone needs that kind of power. else it will most likely sound really close to any other walkman/ipod.

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #4,760 of 7,793
I actually agree with all that. 

But his file seems like a problem to me.  Hear me out.  If the converted file (down rez) sounds different that it is flawed.  It does not matter that it sounds better or more bassy. 

It should sound exactly the same.  Otherwise that file is flawed.

If the sound needs adjusting, that adjustment should be made on the X1 or the idevice not in the conversion process.  That would be baking in some kind of sonic anomaly.

My reading of this, and I could be off base, is that that the original file and the converted files were tested on another machine.  Who knows what sound card or whether it was set up properly.  For all I know the playback software was converting the original hi res file to 16 / 44.  This stuff happens.

That is why I suggested testing the original, unconverted file.  That is not a crazy suggestion.    It is really basic engineering. 

Your post actually agrees with my main point.  He may actually not get a benefit from the X1.  The idevices are actually pretty good.  I like my X1, for many of the reasons you cited.  It laughs at impedances for the most part.  The power reserves preserve dynamics.  And as a bonus it plays hi rez files.   But he may not notice or feel the difference is worth the price. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #4,761 of 7,793
  I actually agree with all that. 

But his file seems like a problem to me.  Hear me out.  If the converted file (down rez) sounds different that it is flawed.  It does not matter that it sounds better or more bassy. 

It should sound exactly the same.  Otherwise that file is flawed.

If the sound needs adjusting, that adjustment should be made on the X1 or the idevice not in the conversion process.  That would be baking in some kind of sonic anomaly.

My reading of this, and I could be off base, is that that the original file and the converted files were tested on another machine.  Who knows what sound card or whether it was set up properly.  For all I know the playback software was converting the original hi res file to 16 / 44.  This stuff happens.

That is why I suggested testing the original, unconverted file.  That is not a crazy suggestion.    It is really basic engineering. 

Your post actually agrees with my main point.  He may actually not get a benefit from the X1.  The idevices are actually pretty good.  I like my X1, for many of the reasons you cited.  It laughs at impedances for the most part.  The power reserves preserve dynamics.  And as a bonus it plays hi rez files.   But he may not notice or feel the difference is worth the price. 

oh then I misunderstood your posts. sorry to have involved you ^_^.

Jan 15, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #4,762 of 7,793

I agree on the iPods sound quality being pretty good, particularly iPod Touch 4G.

I think the member just had a massive build up waiting, read several posts whilst waiting (as we do)  add the hyperbole Head-Fi hype then when he hit play the world didn't rain fireworks, therefore he jumped straight online and let his fingers immediately express disappointment. He will settle and appreciate the player, especially considering its only $100. I'm still very impressed with my X1 because I understand the reasoning of limitations within a product.

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #4,763 of 7,793
An Apple product can only natively play a file that is 16 bit and either 44 or 48 khz, not sure which.  You FIIO can play 24 bit files up to 192 khz.  If you think those are the same then you should not be fooling around with a FIIO in my view.  The idevice would be just fine.

So I suggest you actually try the original file.  I must admit I have no patience when you are resisting very straightforward advice.

Personally I am not responding to you any further until you try that out. 

Wrong. iPods play apple lossless 24/48 max.nhowever we don't know how it was converted and in what exact format. But then, since you cannot listen to FLAC on an iPod, he could compare the ALAC file on both, since they both play it. It's still a lossless file that warrants comparisons of the gear.

Cheers,
K

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #4,765 of 7,793
thanks all for the answers. Sure i had too much expectation but to be clear i do not regret the purchase. I really like the x1 and i think as start into the audiophile world it's the best choice (primary for the price). 

For the questions about the files maybe i haven't explained myself enough:
- i have original files .flac (i had 24/96 but by now i found only old classical music .flac songs 16/44) and i tried it on the x1
than i changed it into alac with X Lossless Decoder (like i have already did days ago with all the flac files 24/96 that now i do not have anymore) and i played them again on the x1

sound pretty the same to me

i said i had an iPod but for many reasons i didn't used it for quite a long time by now so i can't do the comparison "x1 vs iPod"

thanks

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #4,767 of 7,793
Anybody find the power button to be very inconsistent in regards to turning the unit on? Do you press it once or do you hold it until you see it physically turn on? I find that momentarily pressing the power button turns the unit on sometimes, other times you have to hold it for a split second and some other times you have to hold it for at least a good second or two. I'm also on my 2nd X1. First one died in less than 2 weeks, luckily the store gave me a direct replacement.

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #4,769 of 7,793
Anybody find the power button to be very inconsistent in regards to turning the unit on? Do you press it once or do you hold it until you see it physically turn on? I find that momentarily pressing the power button turns the unit on sometimes, other times you have to hold it for a split second and some other times you have to hold it for at least a good second or two. I'm also on my 2nd X1. First one died in less than 2 weeks, luckily the store gave me a direct replacement.

I hold the button down, count 1-2-3, and let go.  I developed the habit on my X3, so I didn't try anything different when I got my X1.

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #4,770 of 7,793
  I don't like jumping into things but I wanted to clear up what I think is a misunderstanding before things get bad; it looks like he did test the original file: "i tested the original flac file with the changed alac file and they sound the same. in fact the alac is heavier"

My thoughts exactly; you won't find something like this for $100 anywhere else. The X1's value is outstanding.

As I correctly interpreted, he did not test the original file.  He was working with a down converted file and yet another format converted file  using unspecified conversion tools.    He himself said the two files sounded different by the time he was done with the second conversion.  The odds of things going wrong in that scenario are far from zero.  In fact, the very fact that the files sounded different was a strong indication that something was wrong.

Then, he somehow tested two files that were not original on the same platform.  That was compared to a phantom memory of the original file on some other unknown platform. 

I rest my case.

Please keep in mind I am a FIIO fan.  I just think that some people may not perceive the benefits of the platform and if so that is fine. 

We suffered through a Troll on one of the FIIO threads (think it was X3) and I sensed that this one could easily head that direction and my patience for that scenario is probably a bit too low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back