The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Dec 3, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #4,261 of 7,793
My X1 just arrived. (I already have an X3.) I'm at work, and all my micro-SD cards are at home, so I can play around with it, but can't actually play it.  Maybe I'm starting to "feel sick"... :wink:  

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised that my X1 is gold. I thought only silver versions were being made at present.

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #4,262 of 7,793
  My X1 just arrived. (I already have an X3.) I'm at work, and all my micro-SD cards are at home, so I can play around with it, but can't actually play it.  Maybe I'm starting to "feel sick"... :wink:  

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised that my X1 is gold. I thought only silver versions were being made at present.

Be very interesting to read you impression and comparission between X1 and X3...

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #4,263 of 7,793
I need some advice . All my earphones are under 150$ . I am using i9000 (voodoo sound) as source. If I buy Fiio X1, would there be any major difference in sound quality ?

Or is it like only expensive iem would make sound different on X1 ?

Dec 3, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #4,264 of 7,793

Be very interesting to read you impression and comparison between X1 and X3...

My main interest is in the sound. I make folder-playlists, and just play them from the Browser folders, so my comparisons between the X1 and X3 will ignore most of the features, since I rarely use them.

I loaded the exact same playlist into both the X1 and X3. The playlist has a mix of classic rock, electronica (mainly Paul Oakenfold remixes), traditional and modern jazz, various types of classical music (chamber, symphonic, contemporary etc) as well as modern country and some Indian sitar music.

I use Grado SR80s, which I find to sound very bright on the FiiOs, so bear that in mind. But I also love the sound, once I've tamed the brightness. So my listening settings may be unusual. On the X3, I usually have the Treble setting all the way down to -6 or -7, and the Bass up to +1.

On the X1, I immediately had to deal with the very bright sound. None of the canned Equalizer settings tamed it enough, so I made a custom setting that reduced the various higher frequency levels way down, with only the two lowest levels at the normal midpoint. I liked the sound I got. Actually it's quite similar to how my X3 sounded when I first got it, which I really liked. (It's not that different from the X3 FW3.0, for those who followed the X3 FW changes.) The sound is clear, but it has enough warmth for me to *feel* the music.

But I'm one of those listeners who hear differences with the various FW changes, and the latest X3 FWs (3.2x) are even more to my liking (as well as one of the earlier ones). I hear/feel more "natural depth" with the current X3 sound.

So basically, I prefer the X3 for acoustic music, especially classical chamber music. It sounds more natural. However, both the X1 and X3 sound very good (and similar) with amplified music (most popular music styles) as well as very electronic music.

Basically I plan to use the X1 when I'm on the go, and use the X3 at home, where I tend to listen to quieter music.

P.S. I prefer the scroll-wheel of the X1. I got used to it almost immediately. I still have to look at the X3 to remember what to buttons push, even after half a year.

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #4,265 of 7,793
Fiio X1 before and after peeling off top layer screen protector/Mask.

Before:

After:

Another layer of screen protector can be seen near the edges of screen.

Conclusion: Don't worry and just peel the top layer/Mask off 
wink_face.gif

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #4,266 of 7,793
By the way, when selecting a track,

does anyone here experience lag during the transition from Track List to Playback Screen?

The lag is especially noticeble when the track has album art.

Also the music will play before the Playback Screen is shown, which to me feels odd.

Dec 4, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #4,268 of 7,793
X5 also have similar lag , so don't worry.

Dec 4, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #4,269 of 7,793
I have never ventured into a DAP world, only used my Samsung Galaxy S5 and other mobiles for my music but desparate to try and improve any quality I can. I listen to audio on the go and at home so I can't decide X3 or X1. I have a sennheiser IE80, is the X1 going to work okay with these? At home I have a fairly old creative soundworks thnx system which i'd like my DAP to also be used for.

Here in the UK the X1 is about $140 and the X3 is $250 so it's close to double in price. Is it worth 2x the cost?

I also have a Fiio E06, will this do anything for my sound?

Dec 4, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #4,271 of 7,793
  I have never ventured into a DAP world, only used my Samsung Galaxy S5 and other mobiles for my music but desparate to try and improve any quality I can. I listen to audio on the go and at home so I can't decide X3 or X1. I have a sennheiser IE80, is the X1 going to work okay with these? At home I have a fairly old creative soundworks thnx system which i'd like my DAP to also be used for.

Here in the UK the X1 is about $140 and the X3 is $250 so it's close to double in price. Is it worth 2x the cost?

I also have a Fiio E06, will this do anything for my sound?

I have Shure SE535's and they sound wonderful with X1, but if you're looking for a long-term solution maybe X3 would be a better choice. But make no mistake, X1 is definitely better music player than any smartphone I've heard and puts a lot of competitors to shame, including iPods.

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #4,273 of 7,793
I've had X1 for over two weeks now and I'm loving it. However, after long rockbox use I miss miss some of its features. Would love to see fiio implement a high-contrast theme, scroll acceleration (scrolling with constant speed through big playlists is very tedious), and playback queuing (well, rockbox didn't feature it, but it'd be great since X1 goes back to "now playing" screen every time it goes idle, so you can't choose the next song to play beforehand).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back