The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Dec 5, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #4,278 of 7,793
Any chance we'll ever get a queuing feature? I've been using it on my phone for a couple of years now and it's AWESOME. Grid cover flow, too, would make album navigation easier. ("most recent" too; it's a real life saver for big libraries)

Also, I'm planning on buying this for Christmas; can anyone tell me how it manages playlists? Can I edit pre-loaded playlists on the device? Are created playlists saved as.m3u, can I copy them to my computer? Can I rename playlists?

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #4,279 of 7,793
My main interest is in the sound. I make folder-playlists, and just play them from the Browser folders, so my comparisons between the X1 and X3 will ignore most of the features, since I rarely use them.

I loaded the exact same playlist into both the X1 and X3. The playlist has a mix of classic rock, electronica (mainly Paul Oakenfold remixes), traditional and modern jazz, various types of classical music (chamber, symphonic, contemporary etc) as well as modern country and some Indian sitar music.

I use Grado SR80s, which I find to sound very bright on the FiiOs, so bear that in mind. But I also love the sound, once I've tamed the brightness. So my listening settings may be unusual. On the X3, I usually have the Treble setting all the way down to -6 or -7, and the Bass up to +1.

On the X1, I immediately had to deal with the very bright sound. None of the canned Equalizer settings tamed it enough, so I made a custom setting that reduced the various higher frequency levels way down, with only the two lowest levels at the normal midpoint. I liked the sound I got. Actually it's quite similar to how my X3 sounded when I first got it, which I really liked. (It's not that different from the X3 FW3.0, for those who followed the X3 FW changes.) The sound is clear, but it has enough warmth for me to *feel* the music.

But I'm one of those listeners who hear differences with the various FW changes, and the latest X3 FWs (3.2x) are even more to my liking (as well as one of the earlier ones). I hear/feel more "natural depth" with the current X3 sound.

So basically, I prefer the X3 for acoustic music, especially classical chamber music. It sounds more natural. However, both the X1 and X3 sound very good (and similar) with amplified music (most popular music styles) as well as very electronic music.

Basically I plan to use the X1 when I'm on the go, and use the X3 at home, where I tend to listen to quieter music.

P.S. I prefer the scroll-wheel of the X1. I got used to it almost immediately. I still have to look at the X3 to remember what to buttons push, even after half a year.

I find the X1 sound a bit brighter than the X3, a bit less detailed in the bass.
Fw 3.0 on the X3 had more bass on the X3, FW3.2x a tad less, slightly cleaner sound. Not sure yet which version I prefer, depends on headphone.
Currently two new additions, Denon D600, Shure SH 840 and just bought from ebay some used Denon D2000.

Dec 6, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #4,280 of 7,793
Got my X1 today. Compared to my c2 ,Fuse+ and Kogan players, having dedicated buttons for volume, track skipping and the scroll wheel to navigate through the song list makes this ideal for portable use.  Also when in the lock mode, you can use extended press on vol+ and vol- buttons to skip tracks. You don't have to take the player out of your pocket if you want to skip tracks or change volume. Soundwise, I find X1 a bit bright.

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #4,281 of 7,793
Yes, it's a lively sound, but quite nice with the right iems or phones.  There are some button choices if you go to Settings>Key Lock Settings.  I believe #3 allows you to change tracks using Bottom Left and Bottom Right buttons while the unit's display is off, for handy pocket use.  

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #4,282 of 7,793
  Got my X1 today. Compared to my c2 ,Fuse+ and Kogan players, having dedicated buttons for volume, track skipping and the scroll wheel to navigate through the song list makes this ideal for portable use.  Also when in the lock mode, you can use extended press on vol+ and vol- buttons to skip tracks. You don't have to take the player out of your pocket if you want to skip tracks or change volume. Soundwise, I find X1 a bit bright.

I think that will calm down with some time on the player as the caps settle in etc. that is what I found anyway. 

Dec 6, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #4,283 of 7,793
  Yes, it's a lively sound, but quite nice with the right iems or phones.  There are some button choices if you go to Settings>Key Lock Settings.  I believe #3 allows you to change tracks using Bottom Left and Bottom Right buttons while the unit's display is off, for handy pocket use.  

Thanks a lot. Will check the Key Lock settings.

I think that will calm down with some time on the player as the caps settle in etc. that is what I found anyway. 

It would be nice, if it calms down. I am using my bassy iems - Twinwoofers and Piston 2 to balance the brightness.

Dec 6, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #4,285 of 7,793
  Is there a way to use USB flash drives with the X1?  I know OTG isn't supported, but I'm not sure if there's another way.

I don't think there's a way to use a flash drive with the X1, but you can get a USB card reader (like this), put your micro SD card into it when you need a flash drive, or put it into the X1 when you need it in your X1.

Dec 6, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #4,287 of 7,793

Just checked the Key Lock Setting #3 and it rocks. As you stated, it's the best setting for pocket use. Thanks

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #4,288 of 7,793
Someone else here or in the X5 thread turned me on to it, as I was using the volume buttons as well.  It's easier than the volume buttons, because there's no degree of pressure push involved as with the volume buttons.  Glad you like it.  It's a fun device.  I use my X5 much more, but when I travel I carry the X1 due to size.  I always enjoy it when in a hotel room or a waiting room.  Fits in my shirt pocket along with my Altones.  

Dec 7, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #4,290 of 7,793
Is it safe to say that I won't need an external DAC with the X1 if I'm pairing it with an AKG Q701/K701/K702 ? Just an amp like the JDS O2 and I'd be good?

You can't use a DAC with the X1 even if you wanted to :p

The X1 has no digital output but has a line out for use with an amp :)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back