The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Nov 26, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #181 of 7,793
Why stick with Apple's design? Well I do know the click wheel is really nice to use, but can't you guys think of any other designs? Don't get me wrong though. I just don't want other people seeing Fiio as another chinese knockoff of some sort.

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #182 of 7,793
Why stick with Apple's design? Well I do know the click wheel is really nice to use, but can't you guys think of any other designs? Don't get me wrong though. I just don't want other people seeing Fiio as another chinese knockoff of some sort.

Who cares what people think?

If you care what people think, go get an iPod and beats

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #183 of 7,793

Let's put " what people think" aside. Can you think of any other keys other than click wheel for navigation purpose? Please don't think about touchscreen. The X1 is a budget friendly DAP with high resolution SQ (keep in mind, this DAP will focus on SQ) so no fancy unnecessary features please!

Nov 26, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #184 of 7,793
Do you think output power of 100mW (less than E6) is good enough for the most?

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #186 of 7,793
  Do you think output power of 100mW (less than E6) is good enough for the most?

It's designed for IEMs; I'll use my ASG-1 as an example. In a quiet environment, it needs less than 5/100 on Windows volume control from my Acer laptop, and this one can get the HD600 loud enough at 65/100 (just sounds too bassy and dark, bass decay noticeably less polished, etc, but tolerable). On my SGS3 I only use about 1/5 of the volume bar (louder and the sounds get darker, with some roughness in the mid-treble) and roughly the same setting on the iPad2 but sometimes I kick it up a bit since it doesn't distort the same way.

The ASG-1 however is 32ohms,121db @ 1mW, so that's  very efficient - plus it's a single driver with no crossover anywhere. 16-ohm, multiple-driver IEMs however might present a complex load but they promise low impedance, so that's a good start. Of course, the rest of the circuit matters too, and we'll just have to see if they pull this off. I haven't heard of the Clip having issues with all such IEMs (some, of course), so a DAP with more power and designed specifically to play high-res - not just the digital section but with due consideration to the sort of earphones listeners of such material are likely to use it with - isn't likely to be something to worry about unless they got blinders and focused too much on the role of the low impedance output.

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #187 of 7,793
B or C's deign, but C's color scheme. I prefer B's tall screen. I think when it comes to design that uses wheel, you best bet is stick with Nano4's design. Note that this is the design that Apple finally arrived at after 3 iteration (remember that Nano3 used a short and fat form factor and Apple ditched it? They must found the sales and customer feedback to be unfavorable. So design A is right out of the window)

With the color scheme, try not to be flashy! Look at the the trend over the years, from Sony's extremely flashy and complicated design to Apple's emphasis on simple and elegant which now dominate the portable devices. You may observe the reaction to HiFiman's HM700's appearance and the design philosophy behind it!

Now with the button layout I notice you used a "X" shape, maybe to coincide with the name X1. It's not something people won't get used to at all. But again my opinion is that you are taking a huge risk by being only slightly counter-intuitive. If you don't have something better, stick with the best out there - Nano4 and Sansa's tried and true button layout. These big companies especially Apple who basically monopolized the market through the sheer design/usability of Ipod Classic knows what's at stake and the best way to do it. I call "X" counter intuitive because humans are used to think in "+" way, think about up down left right, north south east west, the cross we use to aim a gun...

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #188 of 7,793
  B or C's deign, but C's color scheme. I prefer B's tall screen. I think when it comes to design that use wheel, you best bet is stick with Nano4's design. Note that this is the design that Apple finally arrived at after 3 iteration (remember that Nano3 used a short and fat form factor and Apple ditched it? They must found the sales and customer feedback to be unfavorable. So design B is right out of the window)

With the color scheme, try not to be flashy! Look at the the trend over the years, from Sony's extremely flashy and completed design to Apple's emphasis on simple and elegant which now dominate the portable devices. You may observe the reaction to HiFiman's HM700's appearance and the design philosophy behind it!

Now with the button layout I notice you used a "X" shape, maybe to coincide with the name X1. It's not something people won't get used to at all. But again my opinion is that you are taking a huge risk by being only slightly counter-intuitive. If you don't have something better, stick with the best out there, Nano4 and Sansa's tried and true button layout. These big company especially Apple who basically monopolized the market through the sheer design/usability of Ipod Classic knows what's at stake and the best way to do it. I call "X" counter intuitive because humans are used to think in "+" way, think about north south east west, the cross we use to aim a gun...

Your statement is legit! As for that "X", it's not so obvious on X1 but the X5 is much more obvious. You can actually think of it as a square as well! 

Nov 27, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #189 of 7,793
Another thing is that the two buttons at the very bottom seem to be quite difficult to reach especially when operating using one hand.

Also the wheel seems to be quite big at least on X5, pushing the four buttons far apart from each other, this can also affect easy of operating.

I hope the UI can allow the user to change font so for people with too many albums or songs, switching to a smaller font can be very handy.

Nov 27, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #190 of 7,793
A seems too bulky in my opinion. I like C the most.

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #191 of 7,793
Why is C design taller than A by more than a cm but almost same width?
I prefer the smaller size of A with the same colour as C..

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #193 of 7,793
Nov 27, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #194 of 7,793
Nov 27, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #195 of 7,793
I doubt there will be any change in SQ if initially the A was one of the proposed design. If there is no change i prefer a smaller size..

External design (shape and size) should not affect DAC / amp performance... We are not talking about headphone driver here xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back