The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Oct 26, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #3,556 of 7,793
Thanks Clee. Now if I can just figure out what a root directory is? It sounds like a phone book for prostitutes!!

LOL!!

Just put the file on the card, not in any folders. This is considered the root.

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #3,559 of 7,793
Just put the firmware on your SD card (firmware is the little file inside the folder, along with directions as to how to use it), turn off your device, insert the card, hold down the power button (top left edge) and the top left button on the front of the device (upper left of circle dial) until the screen tells you the update is starting.  Let it go until it finishes.  I usually do a factory reset but I don't think you have to do so.  You might want to remove the firmware from your card as well.  Make sure your settings are how you want them.  Done.  Should take 10 minutes.

Oct 27, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #3,560 of 7,793
Thanks man. I appreciate the offer. When I summon the courage, I will give it a go. I am just afraid of 
wiping out my downloaded music or "bricking" the X1. Still enjoying the X1 in spite of these little hiccups. 

I just woke up and had a little smile reading your requests for a 'Dummies Guide'!!!

A) download the firmware. (The file on the link from Fiio)
B) unzip the downloaded folder so you can open it and you'll see 2 txt files and another one.
C) connect the Fiio and copy the other one direct directly to the card. Don't put it in a music folder.
D) disconnect the Fiio
E) when you turn the Fiio on again, at the same time as hold the on button down for its normal 2 seconds, also hold the top left button on the front.
F) the Fiio will then update itself.

MAKE SURE THAT THE BATTERY IS CHARGED OR YOU COULD END UP WITH A BRICK!!!!!!!

The menus will be slightly different now with one or two different options (that you might not notice) and the player is less prone to crashing too.

:smile:

Oct 27, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #3,561 of 7,793
I just woke up and had a little smile reading your requests for a 'Dummies Guide'!!!

A) download the firmware. (The file on the link from Fiio)
B) unzip the downloaded folder so you can open it and you'll see 2 txt files and another one.
C) connect the Fiio and copy the other one direct directly to the card. Don't put it in a music folder.
D) disconnect the Fiio
E) when you turn the Fiio on again, at the same time as hold the on button down for its normal 2 seconds, also hold the top left button on the front.
F) the Fiio will then update itself.

MAKE SURE THAT THE BATTERY IS CHARGED OR YOU COULD END UP WITH A BRICK!!!!!!!

The menus will be slightly different now with one or two different options (that you might not notice) and the player is less prone to crashing too.

:smile:

Thanks man. Much appreciated. Will charge the X1 and give it a go.

Oct 27, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #3,564 of 7,793
The click that happens during gapless only happens when it changes from different sample rates.

I tried this by cycling through my entire library and notice it's only present when going from 44.1k to 48k, 48 to 96 etc etc and vice versa.

Oct 27, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #3,566 of 7,793
The click that happens during gapless only happens when it changes from different sample rates.

I tried this by cycling through my entire library and notice it's only present when going from 44.1k to 48k, 48 to 96 etc etc and vice versa.

The update seems to slightly smooth it out actually. I realised that it wasn't an actual 'click' but as someone said, a mini pause. It's a bit less now.

Oct 27, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #3,567 of 7,793
Well, since the X1 actually switches modes on its DAC when it comes across a file with different sample rate (as opposed to, say, resampling everything to 16/48 as an Android might do), that click is a hardware limitation I'd imagine. Be pretty odd to have a purportedly seamless album with different tracks in different sample rates though! :blink:

In other news, anything from the USA, South America or Europe want to give the X1 a spin for postal costs only? The world tour can still run on for awhile if we get more applicants :cool:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/729177/fiio-x1-preview-world-tour-open-for-new-applications/

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 27, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #3,568 of 7,793
Well, since the X1 actually switches modes on its DAC when it comes across a file with different sample rate (as opposed to, say, resampling everything to 16/48 as an Android might do), that click is a hardware limitation I'd imagine. Be pretty odd to have a purportedly seamless album with different tracks in different sample rates though! :blink:

In other news, anything from the USA, South America or Europe want to give the X1 a spin for postal costs only? The world tour can still run on for awhile if we get more applicants :cool:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/729177/fiio-x1-preview-world-tour-open-for-new-applications/

I would go for it of o hadn't purchased one allready :D

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #3,569 of 7,793
  Got my new ATH-IM02 from Japan today.
MUCH better then all what i has before it (<40$)
May be i really have some problems with my ears or feelings, but i still don't hear any 5% difference between X1 and Sansa Clip+ (rockbox).
May be i should to listen a couple of days but in reviews i see new owners talking about sO mUcH diFFeReNcE with upgrading from Sansa... Really? I don't know.
I think i should download more instrumental music. "Gramatik" listening does not change anything.

Totally agree

Users who are viewing this thread

Back