The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Oct 12, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #3,031 of 7,793
@Exesteils

I checked the volume and my unit is smooth all the way around, there's no jump I can detect with this unit.

@jj69

I do not hear the lacking bass - mine is well extended and punchy.

Oct 12, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #3,032 of 7,793
Hmmm... Will have to try the volume thing again when I have some time. The detail is definitely there.

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #3,035 of 7,793
These discussions always amuse me ........ is it bassy?, warm?, bright?, thin?, etc ad infinitum

The good news is that Fiio actually measured it and released results.
http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000060437344&MenuID=105026016

Click on specifications, and enjoy the graphs.

Measures flat with extremely low distortion, and a slight treble roll-off starting around 10 kHz, but only 1.5 dB down at 20 kHz (so very small and very gradual).  Considering the very small drop, and the frequency it starts, it's not really going to be noticeable to most of us.

The only issue I can spot so far with it is the <2 ohm output impedance (so some of the really sensitive, really low impedance IEMs may be prone to issues).

My review should be up within next 36 hours.  To me it sounds great - pretty neutral - the only colouration seems to be coming from the cans/IEMs I'm using.

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #3,037 of 7,793
Guess my CIEMs don't work too well with the x1 high impedance. I definitely feel it being warmer and it makes my sansa clip sound bright lol

It's not high - just a little more than a lot of their other gear (a lot is under 1 ohm).  Damping should still not be an issue with anything 16 ohm or more, and realistically probably 10-12 ohm should be OK.  No problems with my Fidue A83s and they are pretty sensitive and 11 ohm.

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #3,038 of 7,793
  These discussions always amuse me ........ is it bassy?, warm?, bright?, thin?, etc ad infinitum

These comments always amuse me ........ it measures great and we all know that measurements always tell the whole story

:wink:

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #3,039 of 7,793

These comments always amuse me ........ it measures great and we all know that measurements always tell the whole story

:wink:

Ah - but they corroborate what my ears also tell me.  I'm listening to it right now 
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #3,040 of 7,793
It's not high - just a little more than a lot of their other gear (a lot is under 1 ohm).  Damping should still not be an issue with anything 16 ohm or more, and realistically probably 10-12 ohm should be OK.  No problems with my Fidue A83s and they are pretty sensitive and 11 ohm.

Many DAPs are under 1 Ohm so it is high relative to other DAPs.

6 drivers + much higher sensitivity than your IEMs, under 16 ohms. Potentially a problem, but I still think it sounds good for a $100 player.

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #3,041 of 7,793

Click on specifications, and enjoy the graphs.

Measures flat with extremely low distortion, and a slight treble roll-off starting around 10 kHz, but only 1.5 dB down at 20 kHz (so very small and very gradual).  Considering the very small drop, and the frequency it starts, it's not really going to be noticeable to most of us.

The only issue I can spot so far with it is the <2 ohm output impedance (so some of the really sensitive, really low impedance IEMs may be prone to issues).

My review should be up within next 36 hours.  To me it sounds great - pretty neutral - the only colouration seems to be coming from the cans/IEMs I'm using.

My Altone are definitely smoother and a touch warmer on X1 than my other sources (say for example a Clip)

I am not sure a flat measuring line necessarily means a neutral tonality. I was reading a post from ClieOS the other day about amps on the same topic.

Quote:
Almost no amp that I know of has a treble-bumped FR curve. If you think neutral means a flat FR curve but not bright, then you got the wrong idea, They are not mutually exclusive. Amp can measure flat yet still carries a warm sound (think FiiO) or a bright sound (think O2).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/737354/are-there-bright-sound-profile-portable-amp-s-that-are-not-overly-expensive#post_10941193

Can you explain it Brooko?

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #3,042 of 7,793
Many DAPs are under 1 Ohm so it is high relative to other DAPs.

6 drivers + much higher sensitivity than your IEMs, under 16 ohms. Potentially a problem, but I still think it sounds good for a $100 player.

Many DAPs are also a lot more expensive. And I'd argue that the difference between under 1 ohm and under 2 ohm is not "high" - it is marginally more.  Something to be aware of - but not to panic over.

Are you having an issue with your customs?  At 15 ohms and 116 dB spl @ 1mW, they are pretty sensitive - but damping should be a non issue.  Are you getting any hiss?

Oct 13, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #3,043 of 7,793
Many DAPs are also a lot more expensive. And I'd argue that the difference between under 1 ohm and under 2 ohm is not "high" - it is marginally more.  Something to be aware of - but not to panic over.

Are you having an issue with your customs?  At 15 ohms and 116 dB spl @ 1mW, they are pretty sensitive - but damping should be a non issue.  Are you getting any hiss?

I'm not really sure if it's an issue. Still comparing to make sure.

Slight hissing, but unnoticeable unless completely silent.

Maybe the roll off is throwing me off. Vocals sound so much better on the sansa clip, and the x1 sound warm/rolled off? Definitely less sibilant on some female vocalists compared to the sansa clip.

Oct 13, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #3,044 of 7,793
  My Altone are definitely smoother and a touch warmer on X1 than my other sources (say for example a Clip)

I am not sure a flat measuring line necessarily means a neutral tonality. I was reading a post from ClieOS the other day about amps on the same topic.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/737354/are-there-bright-sound-profile-portable-amp-s-that-are-not-overly-expensive#post_10941193

Can you explain it Brooko?

Nope - it's always stumped me as well Luke.  Maybe impedance related - but that doesn't make sense either as both the Clip and X1 are relatively low impedance.  Maybe the slightly higher impedance on the X1 having an effect?  I wouldn't have thought so - mind you, I'm no expert.

What I was LOLing at was the thought that there have been different comments so far that the X1 has:
[1] elevated bass
[2] is lacking bass
[3] has harsh mids
[4] is really smooth
Any of these (apart from '4') would indicate that somewhere there must be a bump or deficiency in a particular frequency range.  The measurements tell us that isn't the case.

I personally think it might be people hearing what they believe they'll hear.

Did you volume match the Clip and X1 Luke?  Just curious.

BTW - I smiled when you mentioned the Altones.  I'm listening to my X1 with the Altones as we speak.  And I agree with you - really smooth listening experience.  Great pairing actually
smile.gif
.  Brand new CD today too (arrived this afternoon) - The Pines - Dark So Gold. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back