The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Oct 1, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #2,581 of 7,793
Yep, got mine in the post fro ea today as well, intital thoughts are its pretty much what I wanted, a smaller lighter  more portable version of my x5. Shame they haven't incorporated the 20,000 track limit from the x5 beta so far though, hopefully that will come

Oct 1, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #2,582 of 7,793
Should be getting mine tomorrow

Had a quick scoure around the web and couldn't find an answer.....

Does anybody know if the x1 is fussy regarding the album art size at all? I'll be browsing by folder and all my art is .jpg within each folder

Cheers

Oct 1, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #2,583 of 7,793
Is there any way to force restart the X1? It was working fine the past couple days but today after I loaded more music onto the sd card, I went to select an album and it suddenly froze. The screen is still on and the LED is blue. After that I ejected the SD card, and it was so ******* hot it burnt my thumb. Connecting the x1 via usb into my computer doesn't seem to do anything either. It looks like I will have to just wait and let the battery die if I can't force restart the unit. I tried holding a few different combinations of the power button, back button, and middle button to no avail.

Hopefully this is a one time fluke issue but I have a feeling it is the SD card I got on Ebay for $11 :/ 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191271610520 ->This is the listing and buyer I got it from. There are many available. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem. Now my laptop isn't even reading the sd card when I plug it in with the adapter....... I guess not all SD cards are created equally...

The price is a bit too low to trust this card imho. I know this packaging, it has often been used to sell "upgraded" sd cards. That means the size you see on your computer is fake and the real size is always much smaller.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Computers-Networking-I-T/Beware-of-fake-32gb-micro-sd-card-on-ebay/td-p/2594416/page/3

Oct 1, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #2,585 of 7,793
I didn't think to check the manual for the reset. I guess I was too quick on the trigger and chalked the low price up to an Ebay bargain. The seller had 5 stars. But after looking around these are the same Wholesale Micro SD cards sold all over the place online for $15. Here is the junker on Amazon. At least I already put in my order for a genuine SAN DISK BABY. Guess I learned that lesson the hard way.

Oct 1, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #2,586 of 7,793
Yeah lessons learnt, we've all been there. At least you learnt cheaply on a small GB SD before spending out on a larger GB SD
I always say if something seems to good to be true, it probably is.

Oct 1, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #2,588 of 7,793
how much better does x1 sound than using Mac rMBP OSX + vox player (flac files+) ?

i noticed Vox sounds so much better than Clementine. can't use Vox til they update for Yosemeti :frowning2:

Oct 1, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #2,591 of 7,793

looking forward to your impressions - i'm contemplating on which DAP to get - and you have both that's under my radar :)

Im a bit overwhelmed with the practice right now, so I may not get around to a more serious writing of my impressions till next week. To help you with your decision making, I'll give you the reader's digest condensed version.   The AP100 is simply outstanding in almost every way. The build quality and UI are first rate - the latter being much simpler and easier to navigate than the X1. Im just not a fan of the wheel and the AP's "back" button makes life so much easier.  The Hidizs AP100 is sooo much better in sound quality that I'm rethinking what I got the X1 for and whether I should keep it all. To my ears, the AP100 sounds more like a great analog rig compared to earlier digital- so much more listenable. (Pardon that analogy, but I'm an older guy and wore the high-end audio reviewer hat for many years).  When you set the SRC to 24 bit 192KHz, its game over.  There's more fine detail presented in a relaxed, natural way. Everything just sounds more real - more you're there, there. The soundstage is wider and deeper than the X1 and ambient sounds seem to peek up out of the noise floor and reveal themselves.  The Chesky Binaural Sound Show disc shows this quite effectively. When Dr. Chesky starts on the far left and right and walks up to the binaural head and whispers in the ear, only the AP100 resolves this believably.  In fact, the X1 makes it sound more like the approach is from 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock, respectively, and the whisper in the ear comes directly from the side at 9 and 3 o'clock. The AP100, on the other hand, sounds more like a 9 and 3 o'clock approach and the ear whisper is clearly being made from slightly behind the ear, say, 8 and 4 o'clock, like Dr. Chesky is standing slightly behind the head and leaning into the ear.   How is this difference between the DAP's possible?  Well, like I said, I believe the AP100 resolves more fine details and those low level ambient sounds - reverberations, reflections, etc., are the things that give us spatial cues.  The Havis B3's are amazing at revealing these things and the match up with the AP100 is stellar.  The AP100 drives the snot out of them, so no amp is needed. In fact, when I hooked it up with the SAP-5, it actually degraded the sound. Not so with X1. I found that the X1 needs the extra drive and midrange body the Sap-5 provides.

I had originally thought I would have the X1 for multi-purposes ---the gym, a source for my car stereo and a home source.   Now my plans have changed entirely. Im going to stick with my Clip+ for the gym (not as good as the X1, but way more convenient for this) and I'm going to use the AP100 for the car and home listening, either direct with the HO, or with LO through my Ican micro.  Yup, probably going to sell the X1 and the SAP-5.  Anyone want them minty fresh? lol 

Oct 1, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #2,592 of 7,793
If I read you correctly, you're comparing the $100 X1 to the $300 Hidizs AP100?  Wouldn't you be better comparing it to something in the same ballpark ...... X5? 

Oct 1, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #2,594 of 7,793
If I read you correctly, you're comparing the $100 X1 to the $300 Hidizs AP100?  Wouldn't you be better comparing it to something in the same ballpark ...... X5? 

You're right. The appropriate competition would be the X-5 or the DX-90. The only reason I did is because member karloil specifically asked me for the comparison.

Oct 1, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #2,595 of 7,793

Yeah I really don't think it's fair to compare those 2. It's like comparing a Golf GTi with an M3..whole other ball game

Users who are viewing this thread

Back