The FiiO E10K--all-new DAC and amp stages
Nov 7, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #828 of 1,083
I should really do that. Only have pci slots free on my mobo. 
Any suggestions what usb card to get ?
  probably crappy usb controller. Try a pcie usb card. 

Would cheapest 5-10$ cards work ?

Nov 7, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #829 of 1,083

Probably.

Something like this. http://www.amazon.com/Anker%C2%AE-Uspeed-Express-20-pin-Connector/dp/B007SJGGAE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Nov 12, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #830 of 1,083
Have you tried disabling all power saving features in Power Management?
Specifically Power Options > Advanced Settings > USB > USB Selective Suspend
There may be some other settings specific to your configuration. It sounds like a power state problem.

Also, if you can you might want to go through your BIOS in search of anything to do with USB or AUDIO.
I would also disable onboard sound if possible just to be sure.

Nov 12, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #831 of 1,083
  Have you tried disabling all power saving features in Power Management?
Specifically Power Options > Advanced Settings > USB > USB Selective Suspend
There may be some other settings specific to your configuration. It sounds like a power state problem.

Also, if you can you might want to go through your BIOS in search of anything to do with USB or AUDIO.
I would also disable onboard sound if possible just to be sure.

Oh yes I did tried that. That usb windows setting never did anything for me.
And there are no interesting options in bios. Tried disabling usb3 etc but nothing makes a difference.

I've ordered some 4world cheap usb 2.0 pci card. Wonder if it will make pop and cut offs go away

Nov 15, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #832 of 1,083
Update !!!

usb extension card fixed all the problems ! NO more dpc delay, no more stutter or popping. Still testing if the audio will drop off like it usually used to.

FINALLY !!!!!!!!

edit: After consistent hours of Fallout 4 and some listening I can confirm that the audio never drops off too :)

Dec 4, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #836 of 1,083
Right, the e10k is not what I wanted at all.  My own fault for misinterpreting the photos.

What I have:  a DAC and amp that only accept one source - a micro USB input. 

No analog routing through the amplifier available.  (well, ok, you can put a line level in into the line out jack and listen to it through the headphone jack and even attenuate what you hear using the rotary volume control.  But it's going physically through the case rather than logically crossing an amp path.) 

What I thought I was going to have was a choice of a USB DAC or an analog in and an amplified analog out, relying on USB to power the amp.

Suggestions on what I might want to look into?  I would like to feed it from a larger variety of analog sources than digital ones, to be honest.  I have a USB OTG cable and was able to get it to run off of my phone's usb port but that feels kludgy as all get out, and it didn't get anything like as loud as I was hoping it would.  My list of how often I'd use the inputs would be in this order:  mini stereo, analog RCA jacks, USB.  There's spdif and digital coax out on a few things in the house, but the connectors have not been used in more than a year, so really it's those three sources I'm interested in. 

At maximum volume I want my ears to rupture.  I can dial the volume back on my own.  If the volume is only about as loud as one of my tablets could drive it to begin with, it's not what I'm looking for, particularly since the headset I intend to use this with is less efficient than the ones here at the house - I picked up a set of the Sennheisers on black friday and the tablet (tab pro 8.4 running cm12) can make them edge of loud, but the phone (nex 5) is just hopeless and the computer at work is marginal.  At 100% gain from it they're a little too loud, not "oh, god, turn that down" loud. 

I will take the box to the office tomorrow to give it a whirl connected to the laptop, but I had expected to be able to use this with my phone's headset out, which sounds OK so long as you keep the output gain low.  Obviously with relatively insensitive headphones, no actual pleasure is derived from listening within the non-clipped range of the phone's output stage. 

Dec 4, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #837 of 1,083
Right, the e10k is not what I wanted at all.  My own fault for misinterpreting the photos.

What I have:  a DAC and amp that only accept one source - a micro USB input. 

No analog routing through the amplifier available.  (well, ok, you can put a line level in into the line out jack and listen to it through the headphone jack and even attenuate what you hear using the rotary volume control.  But it's going physically through the case rather than logically crossing an amp path.) 

What I thought I was going to have was a choice of a USB DAC or an analog in and an amplified analog out, relying on USB to power the amp.

Suggestions on what I might want to look into?  I would like to feed it from a larger variety of analog sources than digital ones, to be honest.  I have a USB OTG cable and was able to get it to run off of my phone's usb port but that feels kludgy as all get out, and it didn't get anything like as loud as I was hoping it would.  My list of how often I'd use the inputs would be in this order:  mini stereo, analog RCA jacks, USB.  There's spdif and digital coax out on a few things in the house, but the connectors have not been used in more than a year, so really it's those three sources I'm interested in. 

At maximum volume I want my ears to rupture.  I can dial the volume back on my own.  If the volume is only about as loud as one of my tablets could drive it to begin with, it's not what I'm looking for, particularly since the headset I intend to use this with is less efficient than the ones here at the house - I picked up a set of the Sennheisers on black friday and the tablet (tab pro 8.4 running cm12) can make them edge of loud, but the phone (nex 5) is just hopeless and the computer at work is marginal.  At 100% gain from it they're a little too loud, not "oh, god, turn that down" loud. 

I will take the box to the office tomorrow to give it a whirl connected to the laptop, but I had expected to be able to use this with my phone's headset out, which sounds OK so long as you keep the output gain low.  Obviously with relatively insensitive headphones, no actual pleasure is derived from listening within the non-clipped range of the phone's output stage. 

Hello olderroust,

I would suggest looking into the FiiO E17K. It has USB input, digital coaxial input, and (importantly for you) analog Line input as well. Its headphone out gain is adjustable to a maximum of 12dB, which is one of the loudest outputs we have available. :L3000:

Best regards,
Joe for FiiO

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 13, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #838 of 1,083
I bought Fiio E10K and I'm doing some tests vs onboard audio (Supreme FX III) on my Asus Maximus V Gene.

The results are quite interesting :
-Onboard sound with Peace EQ was way punchier, more clear and pretty defined than sound from Fiio
-Onboard sound without Peace EQ(was set to default) was more muffled, less clear than above option but still sounded slightly better than Fiio but quieter

Fiio was set on High gain
Headphones : Apple eardbuds, Marshall Monitor, Sony MDR-XB450 currently

Will test them with Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm soon but these results are a bit weird since I've expected better sound quality from Fiio E10K vs my onboard Maximus V Gene...

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #839 of 1,083
I bought Fiio E10K and I'm doing some tests vs onboard audio (Supreme FX III) on my Asus Maximus V Gene.

The results are quite interesting :
-Onboard sound with Peace EQ was way punchier, more clear and pretty defined than sound from Fiio
-Onboard sound without Peace EQ(was set to default) was more muffled, less clear than above option but still sounded slightly better than Fiio but quieter

Fiio was set on High gain
Headphones : Apple eardbuds, Marshall Monitor, Sony MDR-XB450 currently

Will test them with Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm soon but these results are a bit weird since I've expected better sound quality from Fiio E10K vs my onboard Maximus V Gene...

None of those require high gaing and would be painfully loud at 2-3 volume setting on low gain. Also, did You enabled abss boost on Fiio ? It really sounds lacking without it turned on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back