The FiiO E10K--all-new DAC and amp stages
Sep 11, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #166 of 1,083

You can use RMAA on your PC. Normally it will be a few dB of imbalance on the lower position on the pot, likely under 9 o'clock, then it becomes less and less as you turn the pot up, nearing 12 o'clock. Once it is under 1dB, it is usually safe to say there is no imbalance issue since 1dB is how much human normally can detect.

10dB difference, especially if it is around 12 o'clock on the pot, shouldn't be considered as a normal imbalance issue, but a faulty unit.

ok will try it. but these imbalances dont exist in digital types like the e07k and e17 right?

oh and how do you measure actual resolution output of a dac/amp? do you need a specialized measuring tool?

Sep 12, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #167 of 1,083

ok will try it. but these imbalances dont exist in digital types like the e07k and e17 right?

oh and how do you measure actual resolution output of a dac/amp? do you need a specialized measuring tool?

Okay, this is a bit more complex - neither E07K nor E17 is actually fully digital. They are using analog volume control with a digital interface, and instead of pot, they are more like matched resistor array. Think of it like a miniaturized stepped attenuator inside a small chip that can be controlled via digital signal - that seems very idea, and yet why ain't we using it more often? Well, because most of them don't actually sound better than actual analog pot. They are designed more for convenience rather than maximum SQ.

Usually we measure the line-out of the DAC (or the headphone-out if there is no line-out) for its dynamic range, divide by 6, that should gives a rough idea of the resolution on the output. We call it the effective resolution. However, you will need something that is calibrated or else the result won't be reliable, so yes, you do need at least an oscilloscope to do proper measurement for resolution.

Sep 12, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #168 of 1,083
so theres still imbalance on the e07k and e17, I haven't experienced it/noticed it yet, can you point out a specific setting where you can notice it. I'm just curious on how the audible effect is like, to give me a real world experience on what it really is.

Sep 12, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #169 of 1,083
  how do you detect channel imbalance without a meter? is the imbalance really that big on the e10k? like 10db difference?

According to NwAvGuy, channel imbalance on E10 was as high that it "may be audible".

Quote from NwAvGuy:
at 40% there was about 0.25 dB ... At even lower levels the error was as high as 5 dB

I hope it will not be that bad on my unit. I think it will arrive next week, then I can tell for sure whether it's audible or not.
wink_face.gif

Sep 12, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #170 of 1,083
  so theres still imbalance on the e07k and e17, I haven't experienced it/noticed it yet, can you point out a specific setting where you can notice it. I'm just curious on how the audible effect is like, to give me a real world experience on what it really is.

No, you misunderstand - there is no imbalance in E07K or E17. The chips that control the volume on both of them are manufactured in such a way that it can completely matched the resistance on left and right channels. That is something a normal volume pot can't do. A normal pot will always has some imbalanced resistance on the lower region.

According to NwAvGuy, channel imbalance on E10 was as high that it "may be audible".

I hope it will not be that bad on my unit. I think it will arrive next week, then I can tell for sure whether it's audible or not.
wink_face.gif

0.25dB will be too small for the majority of human to notice.

Sep 12, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #171 of 1,083

The problem I see with a lot of younger people is that their standard listening volume is so high they don't even hear or encouter channel imbalance issues.
The imbalance of most pots with the correct head- or earphone is as good as always audible (imho)

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #172 of 1,083

The problem I see with a lot of younger people is that their standard listening volume is so high they don't even hear or encouter channel imbalance issues.
The imbalance of most pots with the correct head- or earphone is as good as always audible (imho)

More like current urban environment doesn't permit low volume listening compared to before, and current ear health isnt also very healthy anymore compared to 50 years ago. google it, this is fact. Those highways and millions of cars making noise pollution is gradually degrading everyones ear health, unless you live in a nuclear bunker with a controlled environment, no one is an excemption.

No, you misunderstand - there is no imbalance in E07K or E17. The chips that control the volume on both of them are manufactured in such a way that it can completely matched the resistance on left and right channels. That is something a normal volume pot can't do. A normal pot will always has some imbalanced resistance on the lower region.

so i tested the e07k with rmaa, which graph shows the imbalance? and the dynamic range is only 133.2 on the e07k divide that by 6 and its only 22.2 bit. err would this be defective?

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #173 of 1,083
  so i tested the e07k with rmaa, which graph shows the imbalance? and the dynamic range is only 133.2 on the e07k divide that by 6 and its only 22.2 bit. err would this be defective?

RMAA is not a calibrated test and therefore the number it pumps out has no comparative value outside of your own reference - and if you don't have a good reference to begin with, those number are actually mostly meaningless. So it is not defective, just that the RMAA test itself is very misleading if you don't understand the short coming of the test.

Anyway, you don't even need to run the test itself to find out the imbalance - just start the volume calibration (before the test begins) and turns the volume up and down to observe the difference between left and right channel.

Sep 12, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #174 of 1,083

RMAA is not a calibrated test and therefore the number it pumps out has no comparative value outside of your own reference - and if you don't have a good reference to begin with, those number are actually mostly meaningless. So it is not defective, just that the RMAA test itself is very misleading if you don't understand the short coming of the test.

Anyway, you don't even need to run the test itself to find out the imbalance - just start the volume calibration (before the test begins) and turns the volume up and down to observe the difference between left and right channel.

well I'm bad at detecting volume difference and the type of rock and edm genres I listen too are well not suitable for analytical listening LOL... did you find imbalance in your unit?

Sep 12, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #175 of 1,083

well I'm bad at detecting volume difference and the type of rock and edm genres I listen too are well not suitable for analytical listening LOL... did you find imbalance in your unit?

If you are referring to E07K - none that I remember of.

If you are referring to E10K - imbalance when the pot is under 0.5 / 8. As a reference, my normal listening volume with DN-2000 is about 1 / 8, with SE530 is about 0.8 / 8 - so I have no problem with channel balance with all my IEM.

Sep 12, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #177 of 1,083
I purchased an E10k this past week but I'm not pleased with the stuttering
that my laptop is producing. I've ready MANY posts on changing settings
on my laptop but it's still there. I am sure that it's not corrupt files because
I listen to the spots where it lags and when I play them again it's not there
but happens later in other spots. 
I love the sound that I'm getting but I am really frustrated at what's 
happening. It's the same on 24/96 flac, 16/44 flac,  WAV files, mp3s.
Any suggestions? Maybe I should delete it from my laptop and re install.

Sep 12, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #178 of 1,083
  I purchased an E10k this past week but I'm not pleased with the stuttering
that my laptop is producing. I've ready MANY posts on changing settings
on my laptop but it's still there. I am sure that it's not corrupt files because
I listen to the spots where it lags and when I play them again it's not there
but happens later in other spots. 
I love the sound that I'm getting but I am really frustrated at what's 
happening. It's the same on 24/96 flac, 16/44 flac,  WAV files, mp3s.
Any suggestions? Maybe I should delete it from my laptop and re install.

Seems like the old out-of-sync issue on Windows. It isn't a E10K problem so changing its setting won't really help. What you need is a self-power USB hub between your laptop and the E10K to stop Windows from causing the problem again.

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #179 of 1,083

Seems like the old out-of-sync issue on Windows. It isn't a E10K problem so changing its setting won't really help. What you need is a self-power USB hub between your laptop and the E10K to stop Windows from causing the problem again.

I began researching what you suggested and found this:
"Disable "selective USB-Suspend" in your Energy-Options
(Power Options->USB Settings->USB selective suspend setting for Windows"

I disabled it and immediately it resolved the issue!
Thanks so much for suggesting the self-powered hub. I wouldn't have
found the answer to my problem if you hadn't done so.
Your good deed for the day is greatly appreciated!!

Sep 13, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #180 of 1,083
  I began researching what you suggested and found this:
"Disable "selective USB-Suspend" in your Energy-Options
(Power Options->USB Settings->USB selective suspend setting for Windows"

I disabled it and immediately it resolved the issue!
Thanks so much for suggesting the self-powered hub. I wouldn't have
found the answer to my problem if you hadn't done so.
Your good deed for the day is greatly appreciated!!

Great that it works out for you. However, if you still face the same problem down the road (changing the setting works for some but not all), you will need a self-power hub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back