The Extreme has arrived!
Mar 15, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #406 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by foo_me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got mine and well, at least for me, IT'S NOT JUST HYPE!!!
k1000smile.gif

On my K1000s, the sound is beautiful, fun, dynamic, open, and delicate, detailed, and and and...lots of goodness here.

It's like when I first got the ES-1 and listened to the HE90s after waiting for 4 months for the amp. I just want to listen to all my cds again.

Back to the music
k1000smile.gif

hihi, what tube combo r u currently using when pairing K1000? thanks
k1000smile.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #407 of 428
well, in the spirit of bumpoing this thread, i must comment on the transparency of the extreme.

for a while, i have had a hard time with the "brightness" of the amp compared to my melos eargasmatron. (maestrobator, carlo made maestrobators, i make eargasmatrons same toy diferent dude.) anyways, yesterday i brought out my stax srm-717 and omega 2 and decided to have at em, and did thus. ooh the glorious music. a close battle with a senheisser hd650 and the extreme...

then somewhere in the back of my mind 2 things happened, first off i remebered how "iffy" the es1 sounded at the nyc meet, dunno, it was just off. secondly i rembered a thread somewhere that said that the srm-717 improved greatly with the adition of a preamp. so i (for the first time) slowly and gently hooked up the preamp outputs of my melos to the srm-717. aah the glorious music. there are STILL some flaws in my melos, and the stax system was all too happy to show them off more clearly than ever. the small (like the size of my finger nails...) caps at the input of the amp are crap, you can hear them alot. so once that worked out i asked myeslf if the extreme would benefit from a preamp at all...

on hooking it up i was suprised that first it worked (hehe) and secondly i was rewarede not with the improvements i expected, but a difference that i have been looking for for ages. i have found the extreme a decent bit bright but with "stupid good bass control" (brightness compared to the melos on grados, which makes it an ideal mate for a senehisser both have good bass control) and after the "preamp" the thing sings quite smoothly. perhaps it is my melos that is "veiled" rather than my extreme which is overly bright. more likely they sound somewhere in the middle, with the extreme somewhat bright (i am working on getting a 6dj8 adapter which should help this) and the melos slightly veiled/dull.

anyways, the extreme STILL shows off the flaws in the melos. i comend this bit of gear. it is very sweet indeed.

i do have a couple other issues with mine (minor hum) but i am sure mikhail will sort it out. i do know he is a "small shop" but i want a fast turnaround. i have some new headphones coming, and who wants to be without their favorite amp durring the honeymoon stage :r10smile:

edited:
i jsut had an eargasm. its been a while. thank you mikhail. track: ofspring "get a job" cdp: McCormack signature (moded?) melos as preamp (sovotek tubes) extreme platinum/blackgagte output. tall-bottle amprex 7062/"jan" ge straight bottle 5998a. ohh, headphones are grado hp2's

May 28, 2007 at 10:18 AM Post #408 of 428
ok guys .. it would seem that the extreme is one nice piece of gear. i still haven't finalised my singlepower order yet with mikhail. i was opting for a balanced maestro but i think that the extreme balanced now might be the way to go. living in australia i don't have the luxury of going to headfi meets where all this gear is on demonstration. so i really have to read & read & read until my eyes hurt ... what i am reading about this piece of gear is "value for money" a real good amp for the price. and that a purchase of a balanced maestro is perhaps crossing the line of "law of diminishing returns". i have got myself a meridian G08 with balanced outputs. have myself a pair of k701's & hd600's (neither pair is balanced). so what would you do if you were me?? i don't really want to hijack this thread ... & please by all means keep the focus of discussion on the extreme ...

regards from your antipodean headfi friend

May 28, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #409 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrisles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok guys .. it would seem that the extreme is one nice piece of gear. i still haven't finalised my singlepower order yet with mikhail. i was opting for a balanced maestro but i think that the extreme balanced now might be the way to go. living in australia i don't have the luxury of going to headfi meets where all this gear is on demonstration. so i really have to read & read & read until my eyes hurt ... what i am reading about this piece of gear is "value for money" a real good amp for the price. and that a purchase of a balanced maestro is perhaps crossing the line of "law of diminishing returns". i have got myself a meridian G08 with balanced outputs. have myself a pair of k701's & hd600's (neither pair is balanced). so what would you do if you were me?? i don't really want to hijack this thread ... & please by all means keep the focus of discussion on the extreme ... regards from your antipodean headfi friend

You have some single ended gear now. I would see if both connections can be put into the amp. If so, I'd go with the maestro and balance my cans. Not out of experience but if the single end extreme sounds this good, you can't be disappointed with the maestro. Read the build options and the components used on that thing. If you want to use your balanced cans with single end sources, I think there are adapter cables that would allow the use.

You could save some money by going single end but if you can get what you want, get the best. Decisions are holding you back from listening.
evil_smiley.gif

Good luck and happy listening.

May 28, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #410 of 428
Quote:

ok guys .. it would seem that the extreme is one nice piece of gear. i still haven't finalised my singlepower order yet with mikhail. i was opting for a balanced maestro but i think that the extreme balanced now might be the way to go. living in australia i don't have the luxury of going to headfi meets where all this gear is on demonstration. so i really have to read & read & read until my eyes hurt ... what i am reading about this piece of gear is "value for money" a real good amp for the price. and that a purchase of a balanced maestro is perhaps crossing the line of "law of diminishing returns". i have got myself a meridian G08 with balanced outputs. have myself a pair of k701's & hd600's (neither pair is balanced). so what would you do if you were me?? i don't really want to hijack this thread ... & please by all means keep the focus of discussion on the extreme ...

One thing to keep in mind, the Maestro has a fair amount of preamp functionality, so if you don 't feel you'd utilize it, then it may be advisable to get a different amp. Also, eep in mind that the Extreme is a headphone amp (although preamp outs can be added). Honestly, at this point it may be in your best interest to contact Mikhail about what's best for your needs.

May 29, 2007 at 10:21 AM Post #411 of 428
Quote:

I have been to some meets, NY DC and listened to some great gear and have a ballanced Extreme and a G08. My advice is talk to Mikhail about models but go "ballanced".
PS. Personal favorite my amp opens up even more with the Headfiled K340s.

I would be glad to answer any question you have.

I will say I spend way less time here (Head-fi) now because the above combo sounds so good when I have time I listen to music.
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2007 at 9:43 AM Post #413 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An absolutely beautiful looking amp. Must resist temptation to buy...:p

x2

May 30, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #414 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing to keep in mind, the Maestro has a fair amount of preamp functionality, so if you don 't feel you'd utilize it, then it may be advisable to get a different amp. Also, eep in mind that the Extreme is a headphone amp (although preamp outs can be added). Honestly, at this point it may be in your best interest to contact Mikhail about what's best for your needs.

Actually, you can have a maestro w/o the pre-amp circuitry. While designing mine, Mikhail asked whether the amp would be used a lot as a preamp. The answer was no. He then left that section out for an optimal headphone usage. If wanted in the future, I am sure Mikhail could ad that pre-amp circuitry branch.

May 31, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #415 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been to some meets, NY DC and listened to some great gear and have a ballanced Extreme and a G08. My advice is talk to Mikhail about models but go "ballanced".
PS. Personal favorite my amp opens up even more with the Headfiled K340s.

I would be glad to answer any question you have.

I will say I spend way less time here (Head-fi) now because the above combo sounds so good when I have time I listen to music.
biggrin.gif

So have you also heard a balanced Maestro to compare it against?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CD44hi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, you can have a maestro w/o the pre-amp circuitry. While designing mine, Mikhail asked whether the amp would be used a lot as a preamp. The answer was no. He then left that section out for an optimal headphone usage. If wanted in the future, I am sure Mikhail could ad that pre-amp circuitry branch.

I think having the pre-amp functionality would be a handy feature. Again i don't suppose you have heard both types of setups?? One with the pre-amp & one without? I just wonder how much the headphone amp side of things is compromised when the pre-amp functionality is added??

Jun 1, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #416 of 428
Quote:

I think having the pre-amp functionality would be a handy feature. Again i don't suppose you have heard both types of setups?? One with the pre-amp & one without? I just wonder how much the headphone amp side of things is compromised when the pre-amp functionality is added??

To your first Q: No, I have not.
To your second inquiry: That is a tough one, you'd have to have two amps built to same specs, just differing by having or not the preamp option. I'd say if you want the preamp, then get an amp with the option. I think the benefit, if used frequently, will out-weight any other consideration.

Jun 1, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #417 of 428
I seriously doubt having preamp outs would have much (if any) effect on the SQ of the amp.

Jun 2, 2007 at 10:21 AM Post #418 of 428
Quote:

So have you also heard a balanced Maestro to compare it against?

I have listened t Mikhails gold plated amp in NY, but I am not shure what model it actualy is it is in the maestro case but I belive it is more of a SDS? Supra model it sounded great.

My amp has a more open soundstage to my ears.

Quote:

I just set my supra XLR Extreme up as a nice 2 chanel speaker systen. It is a handy option.

Jun 8, 2007 at 9:26 AM Post #419 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have listened t Mikhails gold plated amp in NY, but I am not shure what model it actualy is it is in the maestro case but I belive it is more of a SDS? Supra model it sounded great.

My amp has a more open soundstage to my ears.

I just set my supra XLR Extreme up as a nice 2 chanel speaker systen. It is a handy option.

I also listened to Mikhail's gold plated Maestro (in fact that amp sent me on my quest for balanced). If your amp sounds even more open, it must really be special. Did you upgrade an existing Supra amp to the Extreme? Or did you order this as a newly built amp? I recently aquired balanced Edition 9 headphones and am looking at my upgrade options with Singlepower. I agree about the pre amps outs. I have them on my Extreme Platinum and it makes it nice for those times I don't want to be tied to headphones. In fact not having this function on my current balanced amp is causing a bit of an issue in my set up. I think ther pre amp outs was well worth the $120 cost.

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #420 of 428
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I seriously doubt having preamp outs would have much (if any) effect on the SQ of the amp.

I just got my Platinum back with pre-amp outs so I can use it with a FirstWatt F1 and Abbys (or K1000s). The sq is not negatively affected in any way. Mikhail also added a secondary power supply, and lord knows what else, because it sounds even better than before. I just got to the hotel in Tampa last night for the Florida meet. Everything else is going to stay boxed up 'til Sat, but I'm breaking out the Extreme, a Lector CDP, and my trusty 650s this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back